What's your method of attaching coral to the rock?

stanleo

View Badges
Reaction score
That's my question. I have so far just stuck the plug in holes or placed the coral like my toadstool where i hope it won't get knocked off. One of them i used fishing line to tie down my birdsnest. I am very hesitant to use glue or epoxy and watching BRS tv about this did not help me make my decision and I'm wondering what other people's experience is.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I use gorilla super glue gel. Works great. Seems a lot of people use the dollar store super glue gel. I felt it didn't hold as well but maybe I didn't use enough with those tiny little tubes.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
I use gorilla super glue gel. Works great. Seems a lot of people use the dollar store super glue gel. I felt it didn't hold as well but maybe I didn't use enough with those tiny little tubes.
This is what I use as well. I just placed 3 more corals from a frag-rack to rocks.

2 of them, I snapped the posts off of the plugs and put some gel on and stuck them. The third I placed in a hole that was snug enough to hold the coral tight without glue and didn’t take the plug off.

If I have a difficult placement, like my Hollywood Stunner, which is the size of my hand, or so..... I smashed rock-bonding putty in the rock and pushed the coral on it, so there was a good coverage on the back of the coral, then I pulled the coral off, put a bunch of gel on it, and glued it to the rock-putty’s smooth surface that was now shaped like the underside of the coral

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is what I use as well. I just placed 3 more corals from a frag-rack to rocks.

2 of them, I snapped the posts off of the plugs and put some gel on and stuck them. The third I placed in a hole that was snug enough to hold the coral tight without glue and didn’t take the plug off.

If I have a difficult placement, like my Hollywood Stunner, which is the size of my hand, or so..... I smashed rock-bonding putty in the rock and pushed the coral on it, so there was a good coverage on the back of the coral, then I pulled the coral off, put a bunch of gel on it, and glued it to the rock-putty’s smooth surface that was now shaped like the underside of the coral
Forgot about that. I too snap off the plug stem with bone cutters.

I agree some larger or oddly shaped corals may require epoxy and glue.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
I use the PolypLab Coral Frag Glue. You can buy it in a 25 pack, each contains 4 grams of glue.

I usually break the "stem" or "post" off of the plug. I use a toothbrush to somewhat clean off the area on the rock where I will put the frag. I put a little bit of glue on the rock and a bunch on the bottom of the frag plug.

I really like the smaller glue tubes. I never figured out a way to use a larger tube weeks or months later. The glue always hardened inside.

I've tried the epoxy putty stuff. However, I sometime worked the putty either too much or too little, so it didn't work well.

How happy are you with the lighting "color" of your saltwater aquarium?

• 10 (extremely happy)

Votes: 79 17.5%

Votes: 55 12.2%

Votes: 100 22.2%

Votes: 100 22.2%

Votes: 47 10.4%

Votes: 33 7.3%

Votes: 18 4.0%

Votes: 9 2.0%

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 1 (hate it)

Votes: 7 1.6%