What's your method of attaching coral to the rock?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my question. I have so far just stuck the plug in holes or placed the coral like my toadstool where i hope it won't get knocked off. One of them i used fishing line to tie down my birdsnest. I am very hesitant to use glue or epoxy and watching BRS tv about this did not help me make my decision and I'm wondering what other people's experience is.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gorilla super glue gel. Works great. Seems a lot of people use the dollar store super glue gel. I felt it didn't hold as well but maybe I didn't use enough with those tiny little tubes.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gorilla super glue gel. Works great. Seems a lot of people use the dollar store super glue gel. I felt it didn't hold as well but maybe I didn't use enough with those tiny little tubes.

This is what I use as well. I just placed 3 more corals from a frag-rack to rocks.

2 of them, I snapped the posts off of the plugs and put some gel on and stuck them. The third I placed in a hole that was snug enough to hold the coral tight without glue and didn’t take the plug off.

If I have a difficult placement, like my Hollywood Stunner, which is the size of my hand, or so..... I smashed rock-bonding putty in the rock and pushed the coral on it, so there was a good coverage on the back of the coral, then I pulled the coral off, put a bunch of gel on it, and glued it to the rock-putty’s smooth surface that was now shaped like the underside of the coral

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use as well. I just placed 3 more corals from a frag-rack to rocks.

2 of them, I snapped the posts off of the plugs and put some gel on and stuck them. The third I placed in a hole that was snug enough to hold the coral tight without glue and didn’t take the plug off.

If I have a difficult placement, like my Hollywood Stunner, which is the size of my hand, or so..... I smashed rock-bonding putty in the rock and pushed the coral on it, so there was a good coverage on the back of the coral, then I pulled the coral off, put a bunch of gel on it, and glued it to the rock-putty’s smooth surface that was now shaped like the underside of the coral
Forgot about that. I too snap off the plug stem with bone cutters.

I agree some larger or oddly shaped corals may require epoxy and glue.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the PolypLab Coral Frag Glue. You can buy it in a 25 pack, each contains 4 grams of glue.

I usually break the "stem" or "post" off of the plug. I use a toothbrush to somewhat clean off the area on the rock where I will put the frag. I put a little bit of glue on the rock and a bunch on the bottom of the frag plug.

I really like the smaller glue tubes. I never figured out a way to use a larger tube weeks or months later. The glue always hardened inside.

I've tried the epoxy putty stuff. However, I sometime worked the putty either too much or too little, so it didn't work well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back