What's Your Most Expensive Livestock?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what purple tangs go for by me, $80.
Kinda fortunate here in SoCal with the major importers local and many lfs around, when I go online and look at the price of fish some are close to double what I see here locally, then add in shipping and I realize how fortunate we have it here in SoCal. What are prices like in NY compared to online?

Fattytuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colorado sunburst

E45FB34B-FDEB-420B-B39E-D297C491CF57.jpeg

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda fortunate here in SoCal with the major importers local and many lfs around, when I go online and look at the price of fish some are close to double what I see here locally, then add in shipping and I realize how fortunate we have it here in SoCal. What are prices like in NY compared to online?

Depends on the store. One store is dirt cheap, probably half of what fish cost online. The higher quality store charges double of the cheap store. Then there's also a middle of the road store. High quality livestock at very reasonable prices. I'd say the high end store that charges double is equivalent to online prices.

That's why I bought a Magnificent Foxface online for $139 after no one had one locally, then a month later a store was selling one for $60.

I guess if you live in a coastal area then you have better prices because the fish are basically there as soon as they get in the US. If you live in the inner states, it's more transit time, more potential losses, ect... The only problem I have here is finding Australian fish on a regular basis.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually a pair on ebay from Hawaiian collectors for $600 right now. Singles for $250.

If you buy a pair, do they breed? Or just swim together?
I paid a little less than that all in, think I landed them in LA for about $500. As far as I know they don't breed, they may attempt to do so, like wrasses, but I am yet to hear of anyone successfully breeding them in captivity. Mostly the male just asserts his dominance over the female and the pair of them swim laps around my tank. They are pretty fun fish, but a bit on the big side and eat a lot.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaoti wrasse, but I can’t remember now how much I paid. Probably $200-300.

That is about my limit on what I will spend.

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC....$199 including shipping for a frag combo of chalices...pink b o o b i e s, bubblegum monster and a freebee sapphire chalice.

BlueMoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a cheapskate, with a very good shop. One nano 29 and one nano 14 with over 2 grand between the tanks. Most expensive things were one piece of Fiji rock, 60.00 for one piece of rock. Most expensive critter between the two tanks is my 50.00 yellow tang.

swimer499

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most expensive coral frag 150 jf day glow direct from him. Slowly growing so I’m happy.

Renelope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$120 for a beautiful large RBTA that died a few weeks later...
$90 for a frogspawn that was sick or something and almost died, slowly slowly recovering now after throwing in my sump for a month and realizing it was going to make it

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't member which cost more....
I think they were like 250 each
my blue angel and my French angel

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back