What's your preferred method for eradicating aiptasia? Or do you just manage it?

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia Nudibranches have worked best for me. It can take a little time, but it is nice to know that they will constantly be on the hunt for aiptasia, even the small ones in crevices and in back of rock work that you cannot see. I have never used f or x aiptasia products, but have found killing aiptasia one by one can be an uphill battle. Berghia feed on one thing and nothing else, aiptasia. Just cant have any Berghia predators in your tank, and strong flow can be a problem because they are tiny.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never heard of f-aiptasia, where can you get this, also I've been considering nudibranch, I've got a150 that is what I would call med infestation, how many would recommend for me, aiptasia x was a big mistake for me too

F-Aiptasia Killer can be ordered here.

Here are a few R2R threads with more info:
F-Aiptasia
F-Aiptasia Rocks!

Good luck!

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are berghia’s a no go with wrasses? I have a possum wrasse in my nano and would hate to waste the money on them being a snack

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are berghia’s a no go with wrasses? I have a possum wrasse in my nano and would hate to waste the money on them being a snack
Wrasses are a no-go, except for fairy wrasses. This is based on info. from the company's website I bought my berghias from, reef town.

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use berghia. Used to do peppermints but my one shrimp (who is great at eating aiptasia) killed at least 4 nems by constantly harassing and picking at them.

The berghia actually started breeding in my tank so I set up a culture tank for them. I literally just purchased over 100 aiptasia for them the other day... if anyone wants to send me some aiptasia...

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with having peppermint shrimp in the tank. Seems like I achieved total eradication, haven't seen one in close to a year.

My success might be attributed to my very light feeding schedule. It forces the shrimp to eat them rather than all the tasty treats the fish and coral get. As a downside to that I dealt with zero nitrates and after the aiptasia were gone they moved on to anemones and acans.

I recently removed the last peppermint from the tank and started feeding more, I'll keep an eye out for aiptasia and see if they come back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they are in your tank I don't think you can get rid of them completely in all but the simplest of setups. For those with a sump you would need to turn your return pump off and completely sterilize all of overflow system, including piping. I would have thought they need light to live but I have found them in completely blacked out areas.
I doubt they would be any easier to remove from the back chambers of an AIO.

I haven't seen one in my display in months with the 20+ peppermint shrimp in there. Fortunately, they leave my coral alone. I feed frozen foods twice a day so I'm sure that helps.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-Aiptasia Killer can be ordered here.

Here are a few R2R threads with more info:
F-Aiptasia
F-Aiptasia Rocks!

Good luck!

I just ordered some. In Houston a lot of people are using it and I'm hearing good things about it. I'm gonna blast some tonight. It forms a hard white shell over the aiptasia. Flow needs to be off for 30 mins. You can remove the shell later.

Anybody have a problems with Frank's around Acropora?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some. In Houston a lot of people are using it and I'm hearing good things about it. I'm gonna blast some tonight. It forms a hard white shell over the aiptasia. Flow needs to be off for 30 mins. You can remove the shell later.

Anybody have a problems with Frank's around Acropora?
F-aiptasia will kill anything living in comes in contact with. With that said, it is pretty thick and can be applied very discreetly.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 6 line wrasse definitely a no go?
From everything I have read, sounds like a no-go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kleini Butterfly. Very pretty fish that will eliminate them... very friendly and will eat all fish foods offered and not bother coral

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back