What's your reefing story and how would you rate reefing at this point?

Rate your current reefing satisfaction level.

• Very satisfied

Votes: 280 44.8%
  • Just satisfied

Votes: 158 25.3%
  • Somewhat satsified

Votes: 133 21.3%
  • Not satisfied

Votes: 54 8.6%

• Total voters

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1956, While crossing the street to get on the kindergarten school bus, I was hit by a car. Due to some head injuries, bed rest and ‘inactivity’ was prescribed. Mom bought me a fish tank (probably about 2g) to entertain me! I was hooked…FW tanks till I left for college...
In 1972, My college GF gets a part time job at a pet store in Atlanta, and I fall in love with salt water fish, clowns! I set up a small tank in my apt, till I graduate, back in NY, I go crazy with up to 8 SW tanks in my apt. and office.
In 1986, George Smit writes a series of articles for FAMA magazine about wet-drys and Mini-Reefs and within months, I convert all of my home and office tanks to ‘mini reefs’, and soon become an advisor to 2 LFS’s, in an attempt to convert every SW tank in N. Westchester to a reef tank.
By 1991 I had a 300g reef at home, then add’l 120-170g reefs, till today a 6’x5’ 500g softy reef in the basement and 200g softy reef in the living room. (2 totally separate systems). Both tanks look good and are enjoyed by all that live here or come to visit.
D9355CCB-04B4-4B44-803A-FBE48557EABA.jpeg
16D508C0-3719-4943-B4A7-E5190A8C5348.jpeg
Love the softies, anyone remember sea monkeys?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing in 87...not sure when FAMA published the article on the Jaubert method but that article and many by Julian Sprung inspired me. Got my 1st corals from this guy named Kingsley in Phx Az and never looked back ... Now I’m attempting to breed clowns and raise seahorses...luv this hobby

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up with freshwater and never once thought about salt. I was talking to the president of the local Vegas club at the time LVVR Las Vegas Valley Reefers ) and he was telling that saltwater with corals can be difficult. That was 04 or 05 I think and since then I’ve been throwing money at the hobby. To this day I still love it

TimCW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first saltwater tank about 35 years ago. It was a FOWLR. Back then keeping corals was out of the question. Since then I've had a few freshwater tanks. A little over a year ago I decided for whatever reason to get back into it. I went and bought a 40g cube AIO. Then a few months ago I entered a raffle for a C-Vue 40. Forward to today and a ton of money later I torn down the cube and set up the new tank. Love it! Corals and fish doing great. I really like this hobby. Not the largest aquarium but it is big enough for me.

20191018_143601.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What got you into keeping saltwater reef aquariums?
It's always been something in the back of my mind since visiting the Shed Aquarium as a child. Once my son got his drivers license I realized that I could trade in my chauffer job for a hobby. I started researching, found R2R, and after asking a lot of questions purchased my first used system 2 months later.

2. How satisfied are you right now in keeping a reef tank?
Satisfied to the point of frustration. I have 3 complaints with my tank. I can't keep anthias but have no idea why. I have plating monti's that are very hard to keep from choking out more desirable corals. And my staghorns grow slow compared to my other corals.
The frustration? I figured out flow in my tank. Once that happened my corals (other than stags) took off. Up to dosing 200ml of Randy's 2-part and still have to adjust it upwards every day or two. It's going to force me to a calcium reactor much sooner than I had planned.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got started with a pair of guppies in a fishbowl at ten years old. Two years lateri had a ten Gallon freshwater tank. By the time I stared high school I was supporting my hobby by breeding guppies, mollies, angelfish and growing plants and selling the,m to the LFS. I had tanks continuously expect for my 8 years of school. I started my first saltwater fish only 60 gallon tank in 1982. I bought that first tank from my LFS, Pet Connect.ion. Incidentally I bought my current tank 5years ago from the same store, After t years I moved a larger house and upgraded to a 125 gallon. At about this time I read George Smith articles in FAMA about the Dutch and European method of reefkeeping. European equipment wasn’t available the,, so I built my own sump with a wet dry system. I built my own light fixture from metal halide landscape lights and shop T5 fixtures. Fortunate there wasn’t much in the way of corals to buy or I would have killed them. I did manage to keep carpet anemones, condylacti and some early LPs alive. Now thirty - seven years later I still have my passion and love for the hobby

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Saltwater tanks on & off since the 70s. When my wife & I met in 95 & she saw my 135gl setup she fell in love with the the colors of SW fish to the point of spending $125 for an absolutely beautiful 7" queen angel even though i told her not to. It died about 2 years later & she lost interest. I eventually got rid of the tank when we moved just got back into it about 4-5 yrs ago. After buying a 120gl & setting it up she decided it needed to be a reef tank after seeing all the pretty corals, so here we are. Decided I needed a bigger tank so bought the 185gl I have now. I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far but wish I had the money & room to go much bigger & get all the controller stuff for better control of Alk,Calc,Mag among other things.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got started with a pair of guppies in a fishbowl at ten years old. Two years lateri had a ten Gallon freshwater tank. By the time I stared high school I was supporting my hobby by breeding guppies, mollies, angelfish and growing plants and selling the,m to the LFS. I had tanks continuously expect for my 8 years of school. I started my first saltwater fish only 60 gallon tank in 1982. I bought that first tank from my LFS, Pet Connect.ion. Incidentally I bought my current tank 5years ago from the same store, After t years I moved a larger house and upgraded to a 125 gallon. At about this time I read George Smith articles in FAMA about the Dutch and European method of reefkeeping. European equipment wasn’t available the,, so I built my own sump with a wet dry system. I built my own light fixture from metal halide landscape lights and shop T5 fixtures. Fortunate there wasn’t much in the way of corals to buy or I would have killed them. I did manage to keep carpet anemones, condylacti and some early LPs alive. Now thirty - seven years later I still have my passion and love for the hobby
I remember making the rotating spray bar for my diy wet/dry filtration. It worked for a time.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I feel that ones satisfaction is directly related to tank progress and success. I’m a little more than a year in and feel somewhat satisfied. I am happy but hv lost what seems a ton of corals along the way.
Somebody please help me to slow it down and enjoy the moment!
If I did that I’d bet I would be super satisfied!!!

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first tank in 1980 ,my freshman yr from my science teacher and have had freshwater tanks ever since then in 2011ish I got a 29gal cube for a b-day present and now I'm up to a 150,it's very relaxing and stressful at same time

Richard Severns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I feel that ones satisfaction is directly related to tank progress and success. I’m a little more than a year in and feel somewhat satisfied. I am happy but hv lost what seems a ton of corals along the way.
Somebody please help me to slow it down and enjoy the moment!
If I did that I’d bet I would be super satisfied!!!
Patience is key, go slow, try to keep hands out of tank and watch things grow, above all enjoy yourself

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. What got you into keeping saltwater reef aquariums?

Had a fish tank since 5 years old. During high school, was always thrilled by the colors of especially electric blue damsels and started a 10 gal salt tank. I much later opened one of the largest full line pet stores featuring an entire wall of marine specimens then the Passion escalated.

2. How satisfied are you right now in keeping a reef tank?

Never thought I would have my big tank what says a total of 3 tanks. I have no regrets. I have worked hard to get my main tank looking like a show tank. I hope everyone likes it (Below). It exceeded my expectations and after RAP this weekens will reach show tank status.

ugly4.jpg

ALRIGHT PEEPS - THIS IS NOT MY TANK- JUST HAD TO MAKE YOU LOOK IN SHOCK !!!!

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up with freshwater tanks thanks to my dad and uncle. I have kept my own since I can remember. I always appreciated SW but thought it was impossible to keep 20 years ago. My girlfriend (now wife of 11 years ) bought me a 6 gallon nano from the LFS 13 years ago for my bday and I have been hooked ever since. Whenever she brings up the reef tank I tell her it's her fault. ;Happy

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank happened in 1992; a Jewel Moray captured my attention. My first reef tank happened a couple of years later with mostly leather corals and mushrooms.

As for how I feel now, I voted somewhat satisfied. My latest system has experienced common issues with using dead rock and dry substrate; by far my worst start for a reef tank. I miss the good ol’ days of buying live rock from Fiji, Tonga, Vanuatu or the Marshall Islands. My system is coming around slowly so I’m hoping for better days and my satisfaction level will improve.

Back