What's your view on Live Rock in 2022? What's changed or hasn't changed?

Has your personal view on LIVE ROCK in a reef tank changed over the years?

• YES (please tell us how)

Votes: 123 33.5%
  • NO

Votes: 235 64.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're an "older salt" then you've been a part of the live rock debate and evolution for many years. "You need more, you need less, you don't need rock!" It's all been said! But what has changed and what hasn't changed FOR YOU? Let's talk about it today!

Has your view of Live Rock changed since setting up your first saltwater reef tank and how has it effected how you reef?

image via @debutis
image2.jpeg

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in the hobby I was trying to be somewhat cost conscious, but was told rock was not where to cut corners. I think I purchased about 50 lbs of rock for a 80 gallon tank. I still have it all but some has moved from the DT to the sump. I think it is the basis of a stable tank for sure. The more places for the beneficial bacteria and a diversified biome the better.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of hobbyists these days go for a pretty sterile dry rock route. I still try to find as close to the old days live rock as I can. Biodiversity is important and it's always great seeing what life shows up. I never really had an opinion on how much you need, that varies from system to system and what the person wants, but my opinion of using a quality live rock if you can hasn't changed.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My views haven't changed. The best way to start a tank is with 100% well prepared live rock.

I think one difference is the way the rock is created. It really no longer comes from reefs. It is aquacultured manmade or terrestrially mined rock that is placed in the ocean to become live rock. As such, some is not a porous as the good old stuff and the life may be less diverse.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I began the hobby, I began with live rock from a LFS. This was true live rock from the ocean with tons of life. Mature and amazing. I do not think this type of rock is available anymore. It was not the denser Florida stuff, but more porous like the pacific types.

Then, began the dry rock is better opinions, so I tried out this idea with my new tank since I was going from a 29g to a 210g. Much cheaper. I would use my couple bits of live rock from the 29g to seed. So, not truly fully dry.
It went pretty well over the years.
Next I had to start a few newer system and always used the liver rock from my 210g system. I have tons in the sump. Never have to wait for a cycle and I can make a scape piece and then let it sit in sump a while.
Then, when I started my 210g over (leaking system). I used my old live rock and some new live rock from florida.

Now I qted this rock for almost 4 months before putting it in the system. For me to catch any pests, and let it mature so I could easily watch the life form. Also disease.

I would always suggest to get some live rock. It just brings so much more to the system. If you have to get a lot, mix it with some dry options.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always believed and have seen personally that live rock is key to starting off your tank on the right foot. The move to dry rock in recent years has resulted in a lot of reefers having to deal with dinos, cyano, GHA, bacteria blooms, etc. Just look at all the posts on R2R that are related to these topics.
The money, time and frustrations spent to eradicate those issues would have been better spent on buying some good quality live rock.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The date is 1975! what the heck is live rock,
A place for beneficial bacteria to grow,

Well, I have live gravel, 2 to 3 inches thick covering my under gravel filter.
So, what's the difference?
Hey 1975, this is 1985. Still have the UG filter, but now have some of this new rad stuff on top of it called live rock. It will sprout all kinds of gnarly life in my tank. It has this bodacious purple and red crusty stuff as well as little colonies of like corals of something on it. Smelled bad when I got it though. I almost ralphed!

Last edited:

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a young reefer so I'm accustomed to buying dry rock. Imo it's much easier to work with and scape with than live rock and you can take your time building structures without worrying about the life on the rock dying off. BRS also did some tests that prove that glue/epoxy works better on dry rock. Bacteria in a bottle works just fine for cycling the tank in my experience.

I did start my first ever reef tank in college with some rocks from the beach (Florida). I do admit having all the various macros and sponges and such and even some native anemones (accidental!) on the rocks was really fun and interesting. It didn't cycle any faster than dry rock tanks I've started since. In fact, ammonia from die-off was pretty frustrating to deal with.

Going forward, I would definitely never buy the kind of "live" rock that's just sitting in a bin at the LFS. I would consider adding a proper ocean rock or two though for the awesome biodiversity.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have all main types:
  1. dry/real but now dead
  2. dry/man made
  3. wet real direct from ocean/mariculture
  4. wet real direct from reef w/die off
  5. wet real but “cured” no die off
you can almost tell the difference at any age just by what is or can grow on it ( to a point anyway)
I could elaborate but the short version is that sponge growth is one indicator, the second is the boring types of critters.
Anyway back in the day it was common to score porites, brains, softies, shrooms, dusters, et et

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting a tank with true mature live rock is 100% the best way to go. There is no doubt about that. However, it isn't an option for the vast majority of reefers. Even if every hobbyist wanted to start a tank with true ocean rock, they couldn't. No way the KP Aquatics/TBS/Insert name here/etc companies could supply enough rock right now for the entire hobby.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get it for less than an arm and a leg yes please!! Guess if we are talking about changed opinions I feel it is even more important to me now then it used to be. The whole BRS push for bare bottom and the subsequent issues people had really drove home how valuable good live rock is. It's all about that bacteria!

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more recent thinking seems to be that less live rock is better than too much. I haven't followed that trend. I have about 300 lbs in my aquascape.

My nitrates and phosphates are ZERO unless I dose.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of the mind that my next build will include as much of it as is financially feasible. I went the dry rock route and while it wasn't THAT bad, as soon as I added a seasoned piece from my LFS, I got a ton of pods (along with aiptasia, but that's pretty standard I suppose). I just like the idea of the microbial life that comes along with it. That being said, both routes are definitely doable.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea that fake dry rock was an option getting back into the hobby a few years ago. Not judging folks who use fake rock now. I just never would. Ive always felt the more live ocean rock I can cram into my system the better and faster it brings biodiversity and maturity to the system.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back