OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my new mechanical filtration, Lifegard Aquatics Extra Coarse Black Aquamesh. The reviews on Bulf Reef Supply don’t lie; you need a saw to cut this stuff.
A4825EC4-83C0-4C71-AF7E-99149E9B6C02.jpeg

4E2B0D9F-BFDD-49DE-9259-2B5FBA1CF65B.jpeg

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday evening, I fed half of a Hikari Algae Wafer to my hitchhikers. The results were incredible to watch!

5596FFB5-A11C-4672-BDFB-ADF5E5C5F840.jpeg

Within a few seconds of (the wafer) settling, this Bristle worm came out to take a bite

3B510DF4-C23E-4A54-AC4C-BE9FF05B9C15.jpeg

Munnid isopod (not a Copepod) reaching over for a nibble

E5D6A7D9-4FE9-4F25-9720-C57EB6EEFA01.png

This Amphipod took hold and…

C037F647-B9DB-43F3-BEC8-9EFB4CC0B189.png

… success!

The wafer did expand underwater, and there was quite a bit of leftover food to remove. I am still satisfied with the experience, however.

Edit:
I also saw my Mysis shrimp swimming into the wafer and two bristle worms finish off one hunk simultaneously, causing them to “kiss.” I wish I could have gotten footage.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great! How are you liking the macro? I have a display fuge and would love to get a few more types in there.

Hitchhikers are the best. I love all the creepy crawlers that came in on my gulf live rock. My sump is crawling with mysid shrimp and a few even survive the wrasse, mandarin, and pipefish in the display.

What fish are you planning for the build? You’re doing macro algae only, right?

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking great! How are you liking the macro? I have a display fuge and would love to get a few more types in there.
They are looking absolutely lovely! One of the Caulerpa chemnitzia specimens went sexual and got sucked into my Nero 5 (See here) but otherwise the other macroalgae (including my other C. chemnitzia specimen) are healthy and growing. I plan to obtain some more soon!
Hitchhikers are the best. I love all the creepy crawlers that came in on my gulf live rock. My sump is crawling with mysid shrimp and a few even survive the wrasse, mandarin, and pipefish in the display.
Agreed! Sorry for the confusion with the Gulf Live Sand earlier (post #22 on this thread). My Mysids have become so bold! Now, they don’t mind venturing into the light and the water column!
What fish are you planning for the build? You’re doing macro algae only, right?
Yup, macroalgae only (otherwise, I might add some other odd organisms, but no coral).
Current planned fish stocking list:
Chromis cyanea (x1)
Chromis viridis (x1)
Ecsenius stigmatura (x1)
Elactinus oceanops (x2)
Gobiesox punctulatus (x1)

Last edited:

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a great stocking list! I’ve never seen that last one. If you decide you want one more fish, I think one of the Pygmy wrasses would fit right in. I have both a Pygmy wrasse and a pink streaked wrasse and the pink streak is a little friendlier, but they’re both great fish.

I’ll have to check out the eBay seller for the macro. I’m glad things are going so well.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a great stocking list! I’ve never seen that last one.
The Stippled clingfish or Caribbean black clingfish (Gobiesox punctulatus) makes its way onto LiveAquaria's Diver's Den occasionally. It is misidentified as Arcos rubiginosus on the site.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought those two fish looked insane! I have heard they might decimate my micro-crustacean population, however. What is your experience?
With a 40 gallon, I wouldn’t think so, especially if you’re dosing phyto. I’m looking at my 35 gallon that has a possum wrasse and the glass is covered with pods and amphipods. Here’s a picture of the pink-streaked. The possum is impossible to photograph haha.

0965418C-4A9D-455E-A77D-AB8C851D6D98.jpeg

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HIGHLY recommend clown gobies, especially Citrinis clown gobies. I have one in my 90 gal macro tank and it absolutely loves to perch on the macros. It is the coolest thing to see! I have a couple pics of mine perching on my String of Pearls in my build thread.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HIGHLY recommend clown gobies, especially Citrinis clown gobies. I have one in my 90 gal macro tank and it absolutely loves to perch on the macros. It is the coolest thing to see! I have a couple pics of mine perching on my String of Pearls in my build thread.
A while back, I was considering a Yellow clown goby (Gobiodon okinawa), though they are so small, and a clingfish (on my stocking list) might be able to consume one. The Citrin clown goby sounds like a better choice.
Something about macro algae builds is so relaxing to look at.
Agreed! Maybe it’s the lack of intense actinic lights.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A while back, I was considering a Yellow clown goby (Gobiodon okinawa), though they are so small, and a clingfish (on my stocking list) might be able to consume one. The Citrin clown goby sounds like a better choice.

That could be it. Looking at blue lights mostly, just to see some color pop gets old quick.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh wow, I didn't know the black clingfish could be a potential issue. I thought they were supposed to be pretty peaceful and timid, I was considering getting one as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back