Whelp....

tidepoole311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ****. Woke up this morning and the tank was about 4 inches low. Somehow popped a front seal. Got rock in a tote, sand in a bucket and set up a small 10g emergency tank to house the Mombasa lion. Time to read up on resealing. If any of you have any experience, time to share.

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ****. Woke up this morning and the tank was about 4 inches low. Somehow popped a front seal. Got rock in a tote, sand in a bucket and set up a small 10g emergency tank to house the Mombasa lion. Time to read up on resealing. If any of you have any experience, time to share.
Make sure you use an aquarium safe silicone, RTV 100 series is a really good one. Make sure to get all of the old silicone off or you'll have adhesion problems. And make sure you give it plenty of time to cure.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D3D8F364-AE8D-4A4B-9417-036D71AC9BFB.jpeg Empty tank, clean as good as can, refill as much as possible Let tank sit in vinegar bath overnight with a circ pump. Next day scrape, scrub off any coralline or other junk, and cut off silicone with a paint/glass scrapper. One with replaceable blades. Paint scrapper works better than razor but razor might come in handy too. Wipe any areas to be siliconed with denatured alcohol, ready for silicone. Let silicone dry for 2 days, ready for water

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've lost a seal 3 times on my 75 gallon. i should have done what theMeat describes above, but i took the very easy route. i drained down to the line it was dripping, taped off the area to spread the silicone, and i used GE silicon that doesn't have the mold inhibitor stuff in it. i've done it three times...so that may be an indicator on where you are headed in the long run...but i did not have the time at the times it happened to me to do what he describes above. i put water back on the joint after 3-4 hours.

again, the correct way - what theMeat details. but if you are in a pinch on time/labor - drain down to your leak point and caulk it, let it sit, and refill.

lots of fun- but if you ain't got a leak somewhere/sometime, you ain't got a tank

good luck

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back