Not open for further replies.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You claimed:

And it's false.

Also false. That is not the only reason they split.

My point is that there are many ways to do things. There is a reason why the RBTA lived.
Lol go ahead and let me know how much algea you have on dry rock from 1day to day 45 to self sustain Copepods . You seem to be way off topic here this is a Copepod post not a fish post . Yes of course you can instant cycle fish . But you can't instant cycle bio diversity this has been proven time in and time out .

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol go ahead and let me know how much algea you have on dry rock from 1day to day 45 to self sustain Copepods . You seem to be way off topic here this is a Copepod post not a fish post . Yes of course you can instant cycle fish . But you can't instant cycle bio diversity this has been proven time in and time out .

You can feed pods. For example, you can put macro algae in your refugium and put your pods in there. Add phyto as well. Now you have a food source for the pods to start getting established. Need nutrients for the macro? You can dose that if you want as well.

You can wait for the nitrates and phosphates to build up, or if you wanted you could dose them right away. You could even throw algae in your tank on day 1, a full population of pods and everything else if you wanted.

So to say it can't be done is just not correct. I'm not going to do all that, but if someone is trying to get a tank ready for a mandarin, they could take some degree of that to speed things up. Personally, fish and coral seem to be enough for me, especially on the wallet.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed pods. For example, you can put macro algae in your refugium and put your pods in there. Add phyto as well. Now you have a food source for the pods to start getting established. Need nutrients for the macro? You can dose that if you want as well.

You can wait for the nitrates and phosphates to build up, or if you wanted you could dose them right away. You could even throw algae in your tank on day 1, a full population of pods and everything else if you wanted.

So to say it can't be done is just not correct. I'm not going to do all that, but if someone is trying to get a tank ready for a mandarin, they could take some degree of that to speed things up. Personally, fish and coral seem to be enough for me, especially on the wallet.
Yes you can do all of that but that's not what OP was asking my response is strictly geared towards his question ! A fuge wouldn't be a great idea as when the copepods advance outside that area their food source is drastically reduced on such a new tank . Contrary to popular belief macro isn't the ideal setup in a refugium for copepods rock rubble is .And I wouldn't recommend dosing phyto on a tank that's not stable as I stated previous on this thread that's asking for a disaster to happen throwing any biological make up way out of wack when it's just trying to get it's feet in the sand .

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do all of that but that's not what OP was asking my response is strictly geared towards his question ! A fuge wouldn't be a great idea as when the copepods advance outside that area their food source is drastically reduced on such a new tank . Contrary to popular belief macro isn't the ideal setup in a refugium for copepods rock rubble is .And I wouldn't recommend dosing phyto on a tank that's not stable as I stated previous on this thread that's asking for a disaster to happen throwing any biological make up way out of wack when it's just trying to get it's feet in the sand .
Everything you said in this post is false. Period. That's not an opinion. It's just false. Pods are going to end up outside of the fuge eventually, yes, but the population inside of the fuge (those that remain behind) will be perfectly fine. In a refugium, it doesn't really matter what the setup is, so long as you have SOMETHING for the pods to attach themselves to. BEST, would be a sandbed, with some rubble rock, and macro algae. Phyto doesn't depend on tank stability to exist...oxygen and lighting is all phyto needs. And dosing phyto to a new tank (technically the refugium) won't do a darn thing to affect its establishment.

Honestly, I think it best at this point for @Jivatma to request this thread be closed, as it's derailed from its original purpose, and plenty of people have offered their input and OPINIONS already.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know why you keep saying adding phyto is asking for disaster. It's asking for nutrients, of which algae eats, of which pods eat. The cycle has to start some where.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why you keep saying adding phyto is asking for disaster. It's asking for nutrients, of which algae eats, of which pods eat. The cycle has to start some
Everything you said in this post is false. Period. That's not an opinion. It's just false. Pods are going to end up outside of the fuge eventually, yes, but the population inside of the fuge (those that remain behind) will be perfectly fine. In a refugium, it doesn't really matter what the setup is, so long as you have SOMETHING for the pods to attach themselves to. BEST, would be a sandbed, with some rubble rock, and macro algae. Phyto doesn't depend on tank stability to exist...oxygen and lighting is all phyto needs. And dosing phyto to a new tank (technically the refugium) won't do a darn thing to affect its establishment.

Honestly, I think it best at this point for @Jivatma to request this thread be closed, as it's derailed from its original purpose, and plenty of people have offered their input and OPINIONS

Honestly, I think it best at this point for @Jivatma to request this thread be closed, as it's derailed from its original purpose, and plenty of people have offered their input and OPINIONS already.
Well acutaly that is your opinion.....you see how that works ? You do realize copepods food source isn't going to be what's growing in your refugium right ? You seem very confused maybe you're thinking of amthipods. Just because someone doesn't agree with your OPINION doesn't mean it's false lol . And correct phyto doesn't need stability......it ads unstablelity to a brand new tank that's just common since. But I can see you're getting into your feelings now so I'll let you be .

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why you keep saying adding phyto is asking for disaster. It's asking for nutrients, of which algae eats, of which pods eat. The cycle has to start some where.
Your adding a ton of nutrients to a brand new system .....think about that for one minute...what will that cause. Idk why you have such a difficult time understanding the outcome

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has cleaned and locked. Unfortunately it has evolved into name calling and that simply will not be tolerated. Please play nice folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back