When can I harvest my phyto?

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I know I've seen the answers to these questions somewhere, before but I can't remember the answers and I can't find them again. After searching for days, I decided to ask you:

- I'm culturing phyto; how can I tell what the cell density is?
- What's the ideal harvesting cell density?
- If I don't have a measurement device, when should I harvest/split?

I realize some of this may be dependent on species, one of mine is nano and the other is mixed (working on getting the specific info on the species in the culture).

Thanks all,

Adam

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally is 7 days or until you can’t see through the vessel the phytoplankton is in.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally is 7 days or until you can’t see through the vessel the phytoplankton is in.

I just eyeball it, when its green enough I harvest. Normally takes 4-5 days for me in 2 litre bottles.
@sixty_reefer @LordofCinder thanks, this is very helpful.

By the way, do you know anything about how to actually measure the density? I swear I read about it, like you lower a ruler into the phyto and when you can’t see the end of the ruler you get the measurement?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer @LordofCinder thanks, this is very helpful.

By the way, do you know anything about how to actually measure the density? I swear I read about it, like you lower a ruler into the phyto and when you can’t see the end of the ruler you get the measurement?
Not that I know, without lab grade tool.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I just eyeball when to harvest it without any tools. Making sure it has been at least 5 days since I supplied fertilizer.

Simple way to get an approximate density. Can make one yourself, but the included conversion card for different types of phyto is nice.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I just eyeball when to harvest it without any tools. Making sure it has been at least 5 days since I supplied fertilizer.

Simple way to get an approximate density. Can make one yourself, but the included conversion card for different types of phyto is nice.
Any idea on instructions on how to make the DIY device?And make a conversion chart?

I

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and actually the device is pretty easy it is just a ruler (by cm) attached to a disk at the bottom. The key though is translating the ruler measurement into density for various varieties of phyto. Google "secchi disk" for more info on the actuap tool.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I will try to find the measurement chart online. Meanwhile, if anyone has a copy it would be awesome if you could share it.

Adam

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back