When can I start adding new fish after an ICH outbreak

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people are space limited and cannot house all of their display fish in their QT tank at one time. I have a 110g display and a 20g QT.

for the OP, https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/peroxide-h2o2-dosing-for-parasites-in-reef-tank.725/

I have been using this method for some time and it seems to be working.

I would personally wait at least three months (assuming no new outbreaks or unexplained fish death) before adding anything (including coral/inverts). At that point I would send an Aquabiomics test to see if there is any activily reproducing ich/velvet in your tank. If the test is negative you could then in theory add new fish (after thorough QT of the fish)
The aquabiomics parasite test (make sure you send the right one) - is a great idea. No one knows the sensitivity and specificity - but you're absolutely right IMHO - its a great idea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree. I typically buy preconditioned or quarantined fish and actually just observe them in the QT tank for 4-6 weeks. I treat with prazipro but haven't had to use copper for years. I, personally, can't/won't take the risk of going straight to the DT with a new fish.
I do the same - then I watch them in the LFS for weeks - what I don't understand is why/how so many people are needing a constant QT tank (that have older tanks) - I have not bought a new fish for 3 years r so.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I QT without medication and for a shorter period of time than traditional QT protocol...I don't like to use chemicals because they can be hard on the fish and chemicals like copper kill the gut microbiota which greatly weakens the immune system...I like to make sure the fish is eating what I plan to feed it and observe behavior for illness and other things like that...a lot of people would disagree I'm sure but the chemicals that greatly alter the fish's microbiota really make it weaker which is fine if your tank is completely sterile from pathogens and parasites but if just one does get in, a healthy immune system is crucial to surviving long enough to be treated or fight it off themselves. That's my view
IMHO You are absolutely 'correct'. One of my pet peeves lol I know some would say I have a lot - of the opinions is - when you say QT - what does it mean? Does it mean a month of observation? Does it mean copper for 14 days - 30 days? Does it mean Prazipro freshwater dips, etc? IDK. But everyone uses the same word "QT". And in favor of the people who do not QT - buying healthy immune fish - whether quarantined or not - is probably extremely safe. But - Again if one wants to follow the science - a Quarantine protocol such as what @Jay Hemdal suggests is the 'correct' though not inviolate method.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same - then I watch them in the LFS for weeks - what I don't understand is why/how so many people are needing a constant QT tank (that have older tanks) - I have not bought a new fish for 3 years r so.
I keep my 20G QT up and running for piece of mind (my partner would like me to take it down).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep my 20G QT up and running for piece of mind (my partner would like me to take it down).
thats all good - my LFS QT's the fish so I dont need to - but even after they are out of QT - I watch them In a tank full of feather dusters, etc - to show that without copper - they are doing ok in a reef tank. In no was was I trying to say - don't do that:)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO You are absolutely 'correct'. One of my pet peeves lol I know some would say I have a lot - of the opinions is - when you say QT - what does it mean? Does it mean a month of observation? Does it mean copper for 14 days - 30 days? Does it mean Prazipro freshwater dips, etc? IDK. But everyone uses the same word "QT". And in favor of the people who do not QT - buying healthy immune fish - whether quarantined or not - is probably extremely safe. But - Again if one wants to follow the science - a Quarantine protocol such as what @Jay Hemdal suggests is the 'correct' though not inviolate method.
I hear what you're saying and Jay really knows what he's talking about!...just my way of doing it at this point and that may change in the future...who knows?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back