When do we have to start shipping our tridents back for reclibration?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident has been wonkier and wonkier as of late. I calibrate every time. Everything is exactly the same. I love the Trident, so I'm not complaining

It was always .02 within my hanna, now it's moved a bit further out, from that , and a lot of the alk/cal readings don't make sense.

Ive had it for awhile now, and I remember you guys saying it needs to be sent back periodically.

Any thoughts?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from Neptune’s official Trident FAQ:

We recommend that the Trident have a routine service of a small number of its parts in the window of 18-24 months. And, while we will have a kit available for customers to do this maintenance themselves, we strongly suggest that the Trident be sent in to our service center to have this performed.

All of the particulars relating to this recommended maintenance will be released at a later time, but at this time we can say that the parts kit to do it yourself will be less than $100 and we are targeting between $150-$200 if sent in to be completed by our service technicians. In addition to these cost estimates, the service completed by Neptune Systems will have several pricing options including an advanced replacement option.

Source: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still aren't sure about and the timing was a guess. The Rona has pushed everything back. I have like the second trident released in the wild, I am at 18 months I think, no worries yet.

U

User1

View Badges
I do not believe they have released any additional information to date on the routine service other than the FAQ. I do believe there is one member here who has had the longest running Trident pre retail launch and it hasn't been serviced and runs great. I would probably be more interested in what you mean by further out readings, alk and cal raedings that don't make sense, and wonky. If you haven't I suggest you submit a ticket.

Side note - I personally don't really compare to other tests. I do send off a ICP test to ATI every three or four months and use a water sample just before the Trident's noon reading and compare those. Other than that if I start referencing other test kits I'll go down a rabbit hole I don't want to. Who is the true source of results.

No thank you.

Edit: @Thales is the person I was referring to and he replied :D

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe they have released any additional information to date on the routine service other than the FAQ. I do believe there is one member here who has had the longest running Trident pre retail launch and it hasn't been serviced and runs great. I would probably be more interested in what you mean by further out readings, alk and cal raedings that don't make sense, and wonky. If you haven't I suggest you submit a ticket.

Side note - I personally don't really compare to other tests. I do send off a ICP test to ATI every three or four months and use a water sample just before the Trident's noon reading and compare those. Other than that if I start referencing other test kits I'll go down a rabbit hole I don't want to. Who is the true source of results.

No thank you.

Edit: @Thales is the person I was referring to and he replied :D

I don't either, I will just check it and reference it, just to be 100% sure. it's been more spikey as of recent. Who knows. Maybe just a blip. Id gladly pay for the calibration..

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called about a cosmetic issue a few weeks ago and asked about it and they said they had not figured out how thats going to work yet, but 2 year mark is probably the earliest.

I've been doing side by side testing with my hanna checker on and off and the 2 (trident and hanna) are really close, like within plus/minus 0.3 dKH. so I have kind of stopped double check as much. I also check my hanna checker with the cal solution when I cal the trident.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I don't either, I will just check it and reference it, just to be 100% sure. it's been more spikey as of recent. Who knows. Maybe just a blip. Id gladly pay for the calibration..

If you haven't done so shoot them a ticket. Doesn't hurt. That is if you haven't already done so.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to look this up and here is this thread.

What are we gona do without the trident for the duration? o_O
Test manually oh my.
Oh or we could buy a second unit and swap. Seems like they are in stock now.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same question on the Neptune forum and didn't get a response.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have one of the original batch of beta Tridents, and it continues to function properly.
I could return it for maintenance service any time, if it were offered, but there's no operational issues that require it at present.

I do perform comparison manual tests on a weekly basis, to ensure that the Trident calibration is still on target.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to look this up and here is this thread.

What are we gona do without the trident for the duration? o_O
Test manually oh my.

If the maintenance was done immediately and you used overnight shipping both ways, you could have a mailed-in unit back in 5 days at the very best. That wouldn't be such a problem but it would be expensive. Likely that actual turnaround time will be much longer though.

There isn't really a perfectly optimal solution to returning units for routine service, that's partly why Neptune has said they will offer a parts kit. Although it remains to be seen how straightforward it will be for users to service the devices themselves.

OP
OP
J

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the maintenance was done immediately and you used overnight shipping both ways, you could have a mailed-in unit back in 5 days at the very best. That wouldn't be such a problem but it would be expensive. Likely that actual turnaround time will be much longer though.

There isn't really a perfectly optimal solution to returning units for routine service, that's partly why Neptune has said they will offer a parts kit. Although it remains to be seen how straightforward it will be for users to service the devices themselves.

If you put a down deposit down + CC, they could ship you a fresh unit, th en you ship yours. You miss zero days and it works out logistically!

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a down deposit down + CC, they could ship you a fresh unit, th en you ship yours. You miss zero days and it works out logistically!

Yes, that could work for some. It would depend on the specifics. Others would balk at the deposit/cc info.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back