When is CUC size an issue (not numbers, mass)

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is, at what point are hermit crabs or snails so big that they are a problem? I added my CUC during the "ugly" phase and my CUC feasted. Specifically, two of my Astrea and two of my Hermits got really big during that time. The two big Astrea kind of concern me, because my rock is not cemented, it is just stacked (i didn't know at the time how much of an issue this was). Those two astrea have a base somewhere between quarter and silver dollar size. Is there a point at which I should take the big boys back to my LFS.

I'm fairly certain as well that the hermits that grew very quickly killed off my three Nassarius and stole their shells...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kind of answered your own question with the hermits, if they don't have enough food to scavenge and a new home to inhabit and larger shells laying around. They will murder, eat, and use a worker snail shell as their new home.

If you consider the astreas large, they are likely full grown; even in nano tanks they rarely cause a problem. Now you talk about large bulldozers. I have turbos in my 210 the size of a half dollar.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kind of answered your own question with the hermits, if they don't have enough food to scavenge and a new home to inhabit and larger shells laying around. They will murder, eat, and use a worker snail shell as their new home.

If you consider the astreas large, they are likely full grown; even in nano tanks they rarely cause a problem. Now you talk about large bulldozers. I have turbos in my 210 the size of a half dollar.
Survival of the fittest, I don't believe in evolution but that is an interesting phrase

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janitors feasting on other janitors is nothing new. Just do the work and cut out the middle man. In other words, just clean the glass, stir up the sand etc. IMO this is what keeps tanks going on for years and years and years... GL.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back