When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed? Does it matter?

When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

• A week ago

Votes: 230 29.0%
  • A few weeks ago

Votes: 154 19.4%
  • A few months ago

Votes: 69 8.7%
  • It's been 6 months or more

Votes: 51 6.4%
  • It's been over a year

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • It's been several years

Votes: 24 3.0%
  • I've never vacuumed the sand

Votes: 190 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 47 5.9%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no Ck Amstutz, that can't be the takeaway we collect too many wrecked tank threads for that to be the case.

what he means is for him, it worked.

for 99% of other folks it gets so bad you want to leave reefing, we like to test what works in those types of threads.

what works is free, unlimited supply, and so controversial many would just choose to be invaded lol.

in all fairness total hands off systems self correct about 10% of the time, its a huge loss rate when whatever starts the invasion gets hold.

the way to test claims is to make a thread that specifically asks for trouble sandbeds to post for a cure. those threads are mighty hard to run hands off.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also agree that a master aquarist given complete control over start, middle and finish of a reef tank won't have many sand issues.

the key is arranging public tanks into compliance with the various ways they present, feed, light, export, import etc.

what works in a sand help thread is opposite of what masters use to assemble perfect reefs we're finding.

any legit claims ought to hold up to fifty pages of scrutiny, min. blast rinsers/rip cleaners r at 48 pages of test on public tanks.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I don't have any sand. I run a reverse undergravel filter with dolomite that you can now get in a museum or mausoleum. :)

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have around 2" of course gravel / sand that is quite populated with marine life. Being larger grain size, I do sweep the top layer around once a week to help maintain the look. Other than that, the urchins do an excellent job at keeping the coralline algae from growing over all of the rubble and the wrasses move it around when the bury themselves at night. As far as vacuuming the sand, I really don't think it's necessary and in my experience typically really messes with all of the critters that make the sand bed their home.

AmericanBrit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, what are you using to vacuum your sandbed?
Prior to a w/c I use the Python 1" gravel tube with hose gravity fed to a filter sock filled with poly fill stuffed inside and place that on top of fitted filter sock. So that way the poly fill and filter filters out the sand fines and all the detritus and allows the water to cycle through. I keep the pump on but turn off the power heads. After I'm done vacuuming the sand bed and cleaning off the rocks (blasting them with a turkey baster), I then do my water change and change out the filter socks. My tank is left clean and corals and fish seem happy and healthy.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I quit vacuuming every two weeks, the brown stuff will go ahead and cycle and quit? That is only reason I vacuum. I have had my tank up three years. 140 gallons.
It will come and go - mostly no brown stuff if nutrients is available. For the moment i have had some patches but now its totally gone. In the first months I stir the sand every evening. Never been a major problem. I also have some fish and sea cucumbers going through the sand. If it is a large aquarium - Bristletooth tangs is very good to eat this stuff

Sincerely Lasse

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other because last night I vacuumed sand during water change. I've been alternating water changes two ways, both siphoning:
- rock aquascape removing any excess, loose algae
--- using small tube little larger diameter than airline tubing
- sand removing any excess waste
--- using 'siphon vacuum medium gravel cleaner'

Since I've cut back on sand siphoning, I've begun dosing 10ml Brightwell Microbacter7 on my 180g + sump

joset

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let this guy do the dirty work
20210511_143120.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In bare bottom - the organic waste will be there with low bacterial mineralization. it will be a problem. the same amount of organic waste in a sandbed - it will rather fast be mineralized by bacteria (that use the sand as substrate) and get inorganic - no problem. Going bare-bottom - ju must take away the organic waste - in a sandbed - bacteria fix that problem for you - IMO.

Sincerely Lasse
I disagree. Ive been around the hobby since 88'.
Ive seen and had the following
Dolamite
Crushed coral
Live fiji sand
Dry sand
Sand of different size grades
Deep sandbed
Thin sand beds.
All sandbeds have areas that are detritus/ nutrient sinks. AKA septic tanks. Those areas even when bacteria have done their job will still be full of crap.

Im a huge proponent of vacuuming it, as that helps keep old tank syndrome away. At the same time those unreachable areas are still a problem waiting to occur. Even with sand shifting stars,snails, and fish its still a problem, just less so.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Investigates is a great way to see science at work in our hobby. I too would like to quickly share with you my own experiment with the subject of sandbed cleaning. I’m retired from the USPS and now have the pleasure of working a couple of days a week for an aquarium maintenance company. Since I’ve started (1 1/2 years a ago) I’ve implemented doing sandbed cleanings every time I service an account. This may be every week, 2 weeks or four weeks. I personally service about 50 tanks a month. That 900 tanks since I started. The nearly never ending comments from happy aquarium owners is very telling. “I haven’t lost a fish since you started” “My tank has never looked so good “ “I want only you to service my tank/s”. I always credit the success to cleaning gravel/sand and replacing dirty water with clean. Take this little science experiment to the bank. 900 tanks won’t lie. Lol

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, your pods are going to think it was a bad thing lol. My vote: depends on the tapwater.

Edit: I’ll add, also as long as your tank isn’t dependent on the bacteria in the sand bed and your live rock can hold it’s own, on the bio load.
The problem is, if it is the case, one will notice it when it is too late.

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that sifting the sand weekly did more harm than good, so now I only rake the surface with every water change.

CK Amstutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no Ck Amstutz, that can't be the takeaway we collect too many wrecked tank threads for that to be the case.

what he means is for him, it worked.

for 99% of other folks it gets so bad you want to leave reefing, we like to test what works in those types of threads.

what works is free, unlimited supply, and so controversial many would just choose to be invaded lol.

in all fairness total hands off systems self correct about 10% of the time, its a huge loss rate when whatever starts the invasion gets hold.

the way to test claims is to make a thread that specifically asks for trouble sandbeds to post for a cure. those threads are mighty hard to run hands off.
Thank you. I love the way my tank looks and the care is easy. But I do ten gallons every other week and vacuum bed. Have a skimmer and refugium. But I do notice a light brown film gets over stuff about every four days. I just use a magnetic scraper and go on.

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a symphony gravel cleaner when I do water change anyway so I usually dip into the sand in a few spots each water change. I never do all of it. Only about 15-20% sand sifting gobies are also great.

Back