When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed? Does it matter?

When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

• A week ago

Votes: 230 29.0%
  • A few weeks ago

Votes: 154 19.4%
  • A few months ago

Votes: 69 8.7%
  • It's been 6 months or more

Votes: 51 6.4%
  • It's been over a year

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • It's been several years

Votes: 24 3.0%
  • I've never vacuumed the sand

Votes: 190 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 47 5.9%

• Total voters

jmanrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brackish 1.014 tank containing Caulerpa prolifera, Chaetamorpha, and hopefully some jungle vallisenaria and a few other freshwater plants, that I am slowly increasing the salinity on. It has a 3-in sandbed, and I vacuum it about once a week.

My 46 gallon reef is bare bottom, with a refugium located next to it. The refugium has such a small substrate area, full of microorganisms in a 2-in sand bed, that I leave alone.

I also have a planted 29 gallon BioCube, which I have added an led fixture to the hood. It contains assorted macro algae and turtle grass. Underneath the fine Coral sand is a layer of aragonite, which contains iron for the plants. This tank I do not vacuum. When I do water changes, I stir things up before I siphon the water.
I test all my tanks water on a regular basis, and there are very low nitrates, and 0 phosphate.

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reefers have sand in their reef tank and many of us want to keep the sand clean, white and pristine! One way you can achieve a clean sand bed is to clean it! HA! Imagine that! One of the ways to clean a sand bed is to use a cleaning tool and siphon the detritus from the sand. We call it vacuuming the sand. Easy right? Not always. This can be a difficult task if you don't have the right tools or your sand is not easily accessible or you're lazy :p as well as other variables. This difficulty can lead us to not cleaning the sand at all. Then again some reefers don't believe it's necessary at all so let's talk about it!

1. When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

2. Do you think vacuuming your sand bed will help mitigate issues in the long term progress of your reef?

ewfwefewfw.png
Many reefers have sand in their reef tank and many of us want to keep the sand clean, white and pristine! One way you can achieve a clean sand bed is to clean it! HA! Imagine that! One of the ways to clean a sand bed is to use a cleaning tool and siphon the detritus from the sand. We call it vacuuming the sand. Easy right? Not always. This can be a difficult task if you don't have the right tools or your sand is not easily accessible or you're lazy :p as well as other variables. This difficulty can lead us to not cleaning the sand at all. Then again some reefers don't believe it's necessary at all so let's talk about it!

1. When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

2. Do you think vacuuming your sand bed will help mitigate issues in the long term progress of your reef?

ewfwefewfw.png

dsayo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lately been vacuuming once a week to try to get rid of this on my sand. I also just got a couple more snails to hopefully control. Maybe a flow issue? Since it’s generally this area.

96C44E4A-1680-4DF3-AFBC-218DD0D8CAAB.jpeg

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other. I have a Sleeper Gold Head Goby in each of my tanks. They are worker bees. I also have a conch in my large tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those areas even when bacteria have done their job will still be full of crap.
Explain what craps are left after bacteria has done its job?

I disagree. Ive been around the hobby since 88'.

I have been in the aquarium hobby since 1972 if you want to use that type of argument but it does not say a --- about how right or false an argument is

as that helps keep old tank syndrome away
What exactly old tank syndrome - explain it for me. When does it come - how many years before it come? Have yo been out for that or just read about it.

Sincerely Lasse

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain what craps are left after bacteria has done its job?

I have been in the aquarium hobby since 1972 if you want to use that type of argument but it does not say a --- about how right or false an argument is

What exactly old tank syndrome - explain it for me. When does it come - how many years before it come? Have yo been out for that or just read about it.

Sincerely Lasse
First question you asked the brown fish poop that is in the sand and stuck under the rocks and other areas not reached with the vacuum is whats left after bacteria. You do know what that brown stuff is right?

Are you seriously going to say you have no idea what old tank syndrome is, and be in this since 72?
You can search old tank syndrome here, on reef central ect ect. Basically to much poop in the toilet and things go bad.
Im sure you realize the sandbed is the septic tank for your fish? Vacuuming removes the bulk from the tank but theres areas missed? And these areas, even after bacteria proccess it, are still leaching nitrates and phosphate, along with other undesirables?
Not removing it can lead to an overload and crash. Not just an overload of poop but also bacteria.

Dont play professor and ignorant at the same time.

Jon0807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my old system, I would vacuum the sand bed with every water change. My current system is only about a month old so there's not much in the sand bed to vacuum out, but I still do it

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cat Dog GIF
I don't even vacuum my house.... I have a Roomba for that. I have 4 fighting conches on order, a sleeper goby, a YWG and a happy little CUC tobe my tank Roombas.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to keep sand shifters! And we are not doing a deep sand bed. So, I hope I won't have to vacuum the sand.
Get zombie snails, sand shifting gobies ect. All the stuff that dig in the sand, so they kick up all the stuff in it and it can go down the overflow

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a mishap, all food particles in the bed will feed microbes that feed your animals. Any extra nutrients in the water should be exported by your filter(s).

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've vacuumed my sand bed ZERO times in all my different tanks for 35+ years. Never new it was "a thing" till I started reading on forums about people saying its a must and do it every water change. In my experience, not only do I do zero water changes I've never vacuumed my sand and from my experience in all those decades of not vacuuming my sand beds I can say it really serves no legitimate purpose. But if some people think it does something to keep the tank and its inhabitants alive, then keep on vacuuming.
20210511_133123.jpg
20210503_125458.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do vacuum my sand before water changes but not going crazy about it. I do what I can reach. I don’t think it serves as significant filter or I need the bacteria in there so the reason I do it is purely for it looks better clean. I have a very fine sand about 1-2” and loads of crap coming out.

I do it trough a 5 micron filter sock so not limited in time. I than of corse rinse the sand caught in the filter sock and put it back.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuum sand every water change and currently blowing the sand with turkey baster every 2 days for loosen diatoms.

Going to get a sandsifter In future and some conchs so I don't have to vacuum..

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back