When it comes to the captive breeding of fish, which species do you think will be targeted in the future?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be better to just develop captive breeding of algae-eating blennies? To the best of my knowledge, all of the blennies which are currently captive breed are the fangblennies of the genus Meiacanthus, which are of course not herbivorous.
Molly miller blennies are CB and supposedly eat a very wide range of algaes and possibly even aiptasia

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be better to just develop captive breeding of algae-eating blennies? To the best of my knowledge, all of the blennies which are currently captive breed are the fangblennies of the genus Meiacanthus, which are of course not herbivorous.
Maybe from an algae control perspective, but I don’t see many people wanting a “blenny tank”. People see genetic engineering as “sinister” but it’s already all around us in good ways and I’d MUCH rather see a captive bred fish end up in an appropriately-sized tank than one it’ll outgrow, even if a certain type of fish has to be genetically modified and then captive-bred to do this. We already do this for coloration. Why not size?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man's manipulation of animal characteristics for aesthetic reasons is a strange one. We'd never allow it with humans so I wonder why it's so socially acceptable with other creatures. For me I'm all for captive breeding for hardiness etc but don't like it when we play god. Thankfully I think we are so much in the infancy of breeding most species that it's not something to worry about yet.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already completely opposed to all these designer Clownfish.

I agree with some like the stubby or long fin clowns (a hideous extention to a fishes fins that is a pretty poor swimmer anyway but lives in a high flow environment, isn't the most ingenious idea ever) but I look at it as these pretty popular morphs are profitable enough to pay for the breeding attempts of other less desirable or harder to breed species. If you look at ora they have a few species that you wouldn't automatically consider as popular aquarium fish and without clowns I don't think they'd have much of a breeding business. So I'm thankful in a way that people shell out for something they love even if I don't get it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
Anybody can buy whatever they want. Long fins clown fish. Stubby deformed Fish, whatever. Look at The guppies gold fish and you know that there will be deformed fish I. The future ( even now)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back