When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PP used to be part of my signature (still is on RC) ..... anemones host clowns .....

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say two things that are slightly related and are much worse on facebook groups. 1st is parroting information with no experience. It’s fine if you say where you got that information from (articles or even other reefers), but you can get 10 people parroting the same thing that have never experienced and suddenly it sounds like a large consensus when it’s not.

The other that is somewhat related is giving/taking advise without seeing the people’s systems. We have some people locally that can’t keep a stony coral alive but they post frequently and convincingly with poor advise and the volume of the posts overshadows good advise, and then other people start parroting that bad advise. Again it happens a lot more on Facebook than forums.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are not hosting!

THE FISH IS NOT THE HOST!

The fish is a "guest." The anemone/coral is the host. And if your fish take a liking to a heater or powerhead... well than noone is the host and your fish are just hanging out.

...uhg... i need a drink.

EDIT: I'm making this my signature for awhile lol

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every regal tang is a Dory and not every clownfish is a Nemo.

I started working in LFS back around when the first Nemo movie came out, cant tell you how many moms I had to tell that "Nemo" wont live in a fishbowl.
On the upside some decided to go all in a buy a small reef setup.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say two things that are slightly related and are much worse on facebook groups. 1st is parroting information with no experience. It’s fine if you say where you got that information from (articles or even other reefers), but you can get 10 people parroting the same thing that have never experienced and suddenly it sounds like a large consensus when it’s not.

The other that is somewhat related is giving/taking advise without seeing the people’s systems. We have some people locally that can’t keep a stony coral alive but they post frequently and convincingly with poor advise and the volume of the posts overshadows good advise, and then other people start parroting that bad advise. Again it happens a lot more on Facebook than forums.

This is definitely what bothers me most, especially because information changes in this hobby, so what was parroted yesterday might not be great to parrot today.

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who post “best practices” about a certain method or product and do not run successful systems. I have been in the hobby a long time and generally there are only a handful of people I would ask advice from because of this. In a lot of cases not all, the most knowledge people in the hobby won’t reply on a subject they are truly experts at, they read the threads at laugh at the suggestions. The ones who reply on the thread a lot of times ( not always), read their advice from somewhere and have not either practiced what they preech or understand fully what they are suggesting.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who buy livestock and don't do the research on how to properly keep/maintain it beforehand.

Whatch' talkin' 'bout Willis? (Sorry...that quote dates me, lol) You mean others here have done the unthinkable? Seen a fish at the LFS, had to have it, brought it home to quarantine, and then quickly researched how to take care of it!

Joking aside, you are right. I can't argue with you, but I'll bet a good many of us have fallen prey to the impulse buy. Guilty as charged! The neat thing about the technological world we now live in is this problem is not really an issue anymore as most people have cell phones and can research on the spot. The questions is... do they?

Last edited:

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor•al /ˈkôrəl,ˈkärəl/ (noun) - {Latin language of origin} hard, variously colored, calcareous skeleton secreted by certain marine polyps that's mostly likely to DIE in your tank after spending exorbitant, ridiculous amounts of money to own it
]
Hahahaha!

Nperry86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high and mighty reefers and the ones that will weed through a thousand answers to only pick the one that suits them or justifies there actions.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree "parroting" is the kind name for it - we usually call it "the Opinionette"

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pet peeves?

It is accepted policy by sellers and even our reefing communities that it is the responsibility of the buyer to treat for any issues that come up (For example, Bryopsis, ich, velvet). Of course we will treat for problems that come up because we have no other choice, but the question is.... Why should we have to?

The "Why" question is rhetorical. I've heard the arguments before. Big business can't be expected to take the loss by quarantining or treating all their inventory and stay in business. Sickness can stay hidden until fish get stressed from shipping, etc. I still don't think it's right. My argument is if a fish doesn't have ich when purchased in the first place, it CAN'T come down with it when it gets stressed. Bryopsis does not naturally occur in our tanks; it must be introduced.

I can't say my other pet peeve for fear of being flamed... but it has to do with "posting negative reviews" about products or purchases. Luckily, laws are being put into place to protect the consumers now: A few articles if you're interested:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back