When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who are obviously bragging about whatever new thing they just bought. Especially when it’s just a pic of equipment boxes. At least take the crap out of the box. Look at me, I bought expensive things! Irks me to no end. Didn’t your parents teach you it’s not polite to brag?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who laugh at me for using the plural for fish correctly.

According to Grammar Girl website, "The Quick and Dirty Tip is that the plural of fish is fish, unless you’re writing about different species of fish, are a mobster, are quoting the Bible, or are trying to make a rhyme." LOL

I keep it 'simple' for my 7th grade students: Fish is a common noun, but it can also be used as a collective noun. It is a countable noun, but it can also be an uncountable noun. Isn't the English language fun! LOL

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely what bothers me most, especially because information changes in this hobby, so what was parroted yesterday might not be great to parrot today.
This is actually another one of my pet peeves. Hobbyists and especially certain retailers thinking they it’s necessary to re-invent the wheel or are pioneering some great new husbandry techniques. The foundation of reef husbandry has been laid out. Really nothing in this hobby has changed significantly since the days of reef central in any major way. Coral care requirements haven’t changed. So no, what’s true today isn’t untrue tomorrow when it comes to the hobby.

Sure, some technology has changed. Some new brands have come along touting methods to sell their products. But Best practices ten years ago are still valid today.
Don’t get me wrong, any real advances in the hobby backed by actual scientific research are totally welcome, but ignoring legacy knowledge to sell **** isn’t a good thing. The death of reef central and subsequent rise of reef2reef was like hitting a knowledge reset button on the hobby and it’s not a good thing when their is a serious lack of quality articles and information here and Reef Central is just ignored and forgotten.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually another one of my pet peeves...The death of reef central and subsequent rise of reef2reef was like hitting a knowledge reset button on the hobby and it’s not a good thing when their is a serious lack of quality articles and information here and Reef Central is just ignored and forgotten.

Ouch.;Inpain

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually another one of my pet peeves. Hobbyists and especially certain retailers thinking they it’s necessary to re-invent the wheel or are pioneering some great new husbandry techniques. The foundation of reef husbandry has been laid out. Really nothing in this hobby has changed significantly since the days of reef central in any major way. Coral care requirements haven’t changed. So no, what’s true today isn’t untrue tomorrow when it comes to the hobby.

Sure, some technology has changed. Some new brands have come along touting methods to sell their products. But Best practices ten years ago are still valid today.
Don’t get me wrong, any real advances in the hobby backed by actual scientific research are totally welcome, but ignoring legacy knowledge to sell **** isn’t a good thing. The death of reef central and subsequent rise of reef2reef was like hitting a knowledge reset button on the hobby and it’s not a good thing when their is a serious lack of quality articles and information here and Reef Central is just ignored and forgotten.
I have to say though, many new hobbyists come here for help and get the help they need. There is a plethora of info if you google something. But people still need a place to go to get real-time help and this place is magic.

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every regal tang is a Dory and not every clownfish is a Nemo.
God I hate this so much. I was reading through this thread and chuckling but yours is the only one that struck a nerve with me. We get it. There was a movie that featured a clownfish released in 2003. It's been 16 years. Just shut up! Nemo should be dead by now!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The death of reef central and subsequent rise of reef2reef was like hitting a knowledge reset button on the hobby and it’s not a good thing when their is a serious lack of quality articles and information here and Reef Central is just ignored and forgotten.

I, along with a few other members were brought onto be part of "team RC" a few years ago to help revive TOTM again, never got off the ground unfortunately.

I'm not complaining too much though, even though I am a fairly new member here on R2R my experience has been really positive so far, people have been friendly, willing to share knowledge, experience and opinions in a friendly manner.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, along with a few other members were brought onto be part of "team RC" a few years ago to help revive TOTM again, never got off the ground unfortunately.

I'm not complaining too much though, even though I am a fairly new member here on R2R my experience has been really positive so far, people have been friendly, willing to share knowledge, experience and opinions in a friendly manner.

I think the word "friendly" is what brought me to R2R. People who get themselves into trouble don't need someone stating the obvious or being slammed with condemnation for their naivety. Education and gentle support go a long way to encourage a person to find success, to stay in the hobby after a mega failure. I second what C. Eymann says: This place has knowledgeable people who have been successful in multiple ways with specific fish, water chemistry, health of our fish, etc., and we have members who even conduct research and provide shared knowledge. Truth is after 10+ years in this hobby, I am still learning! I hope I never stop! Thanks R2R staff and members for a great experience here.

Last edited:

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its called Progress.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get Digitate Hydroids, and knowone knows much, about Digitate Hydroids.....

Back