When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my many PP‘s is when you provide detailed accurate information in a thread along with pictures and links for sources to back up your advice only to be completely ignored by the OP who is busy interacting with some clueless noob that’s leading them down a path of failure.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once and for all this is how you say it.

1393861.jpg

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say it upfront, I'm a Baby Boomer, I hate acronyms. Someone said "PP in my signature", first thought was writing my name in the snow. Still don't know what "PP" references, but I'm sure it's something that will make me feel stupid.
Oh yeah, my Wife and I/me don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media other than email, R2R and Louisiana Reef Club forums, so most drawings, contests, whatever, pretty much exclude us from a lot of entries, that's aggravating.
I'm really not as dumb as I sound. I used to manage and operate multi- billion dollar deepwater oil and gas drilling and production facilities in the GoM (that one should be easy to figure out) if you worked in that area.

I hope it wasn't the BP Deep Water Horizon!

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone doesn't do what they say they are going to do.

For example:

Other person: "I'm going to ship your coral out on Wednesday for a Friday delivery."

Then Friday rolls around and I send them a message stating:

Me: "Hey, I stayed home from work today to receive your package and nothing has shown up yet."

Then I get a reply:

Other person: "Oh, something came up, I haven't shipped it yet."

Then why didn't you write and let me know so I didn't take a day off of work? :mad:

Last edited:

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of mine is the ridiculous names of frags. when people ask me about them I just tell them " that's a blue and green Acan, that's a red and purple Acan, that's a green Acan, that's a torch, that's a hammer coral, that's a chalice...… etc etc" I don't get into the stupid names.

going in to an LFS to get a specific item, they don't have it, I get it its a store. they then offer to order it for me and give me a price for it. I offer to pay for it then to show them that I am serious about getting the item. they will tell me " no, its okay just pay when it get in..." I follow up with the LFS and they tell me that its coming in and they cant give me a date. come to find out from the owner, the order was never placed. Geeze! I like to go to the LFS to help keep them open, I could order from BRS, Premier Aquatics, etc, but I choose to help them..... just tell me the truth!

that's all for now.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 the price of frags and equipment. It’s my limiting factor.
2 tricky photography by online vendors. Also the LFS here pumps up the blues so high it’s all you can see , I’ve asked them to whiten the light so I can see and they won’t. So I close my wallet.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give anyone a hard time about mispronunciations. In my opinion people who succeed in the hobby read and research a lot instead of going to the LFS and taking whatever haphazard advice they blurt out to make a sale. So by the time you need to pronounce a word you've read a million times and decided on the pronunciation in your head it's really hard to change that.
My pet peeve is when people can only answer a question in absolutes. This hobby is so incredibly open ended and there are infinite ways to have success. If I spend countless hours doing my own research, carefully explain my situation and I've whittled my research down to the fine points that I cant quite understand or how to apply something to my personal situation, half the replies will be one-size-fits-all cliches crapped out in 3 seconds based on the first sentence of my post.

flounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pp is people complaining about the cost of this elective hobby. If you cant handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
I dont mind people, myself included, doing diy and hacks to save a buck. Just save the whining too please!

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might have been mentioned..

But my pet peave spans across the fish keeping hobby in general.. corals.. fish. Fresh waemter fish and plants.

I absolutetly cannot stand new people in the hobby who dont listen to advice. Countless times in the petstore like petco or petsmart, i see new fishkeepers and i give them some sound advice and explanations kn what to do and not do.. Mainly about the whole biological process and how to not get fish right away otherwise they will die horrible deaths from ammonia and or nitrtite.

People these days are instant gratifiers... And i hsve been known to be like that too.. But they want the tank the fish that day.. and when you explain it to them they ignore you.

Heck the people who work in petco well my oetco are hobbysts too one guy has been doing petstores for 40 years.. he worked in our local fish store back when they had like 6 of en locally.. but they closed so now he works in petco.

The employees always give the same advice.... but this is what bugs me.. Petco actually makes them say they can put fish in after a week.. Yes i kid you not the employees told me they have to tell customers that because customers dont want to hear 3 or 4+ weeks.

This means petco is lying and making employees lie just to get more sales.

That bugs me so much

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When BRS preaches ultra low nutrient systems. Get you phosphates your zero which is your target goal by buying all this wonderful equipment we sell. Then buy our reef chili, reef roids etc so you don’t starve your corals -__- I think we’re all learning that that ULNS is a marketing scam.
(btw I still live brs for all the other knowledge that they have to offer but THIS IS MY PET PEEEEEEEVE lol
It’s best to take BRS with a hefty grain of salt because at the end of the day they are salesman above all else. They’re not running a charity or scientific organization they are paying their bills and employees.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might have been mentioned..

But my pet peave spans across the fish keeping hobby in general.. corals.. fish. Fresh waemter fish and plants.

I absolutetly cannot stand new people in the hobby who dont listen to advice. Countless times in the petstore like petco or petsmart, i see new fishkeepers and i give them some sound advice and explanations kn what to do and not do.. Mainly about the whole biological process and how to not get fish right away otherwise they will die horrible deaths from ammonia and or nitrtite.

People these days are instant gratifiers... And i hsve been known to be like that too.. But they want the tank the fish that day.. and when you explain it to them they ignore you.

Heck the people who work in petco well my oetco are hobbysts too one guy has been doing petstores for 40 years.. he worked in our local fish store back when they had like 6 of en locally.. but they closed so now he works in petco.

The employees always give the same advice.... but this is what bugs me.. Petco actually makes them say they can put fish in after a week.. Yes i kid you not the employees told me they have to tell customers that because customers dont want to hear 3 or 4+ weeks.

This means petco is lying and making employees lie just to get more sales.

That bugs me so much
If you add a bacteria starter and ammonia you can Add fish after one week. Or you can add 1-2 small fish within 48 hours, after tank water is heated along with bacteria starter. Lasse, a professional aquarist in Sweden recommends cycling with hardy fish and a bacteria starter. That’s how we always did it back in the day and it’s still viable though now considered inhumane by hippies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back