When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a bacteria starter and ammonia you can Add fish after one week. Or you can add 1-2 small fish within 48 hours, after tank water is heated along with bacteria starter. Lasse, a professional aquarist in Sweden recommends cycling with hardy fish and a bacteria starter. That’s how we always did it back in the day and it’s still viable though now considered inhumane by hippies.

Ya i know but you need a big bottle.. thkse 250ml or 500ml bottles are too small and thr ones the stores sell are crap.. its a mix if fresh and zalt water bacteria... that isnt possible one or the other... its a gimmick for the store stuff.

I put fish and corals in my tank after 2 days but i used a gallon of fritszyme 9 it instant cycled my tank.. but i know what im doing.

Telling that to the average joe who wants a tank now he will ignore you.

Im no hippie i drive 30 year old gas guzzling v8 Jeeps.. but putting a fish or two to cycle a tank is stupid.. put a dead shrimp from the grocery store and watch how fast that ammonia will go up... It usnt about being a hippie its about using your brain.. why succumb a living animal to torture just to get it to tick and crap in the tank to cause ammonia when simply tossing s dead shrimp or a crap ton of flake food in will do the same thing

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest pet peeve is that everyone is into selling coral for the highest price they can get. I get it but wonder if we could be more successful if we would give coral to other local hobbyists and support each other more. Imagine how cool it would be if you started a new tank and local reef members gave you a pile of coral frags.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i knew anyone local to me in northern virginia id have no problems giving them heads of my frogspawns and my teal.blue candycanes.. I also dont mjnd giving a head or teo away of my torch coral now that its split to frag without cutting into the flesh. I mean i started with 6 frogspawn heads for 40$... I now have 17 heads and thats in like 3 months... in fact my frogsoawn is getting too bushy and too close to my olating monti..

Id even give away peices of my red planet and green slimer acropora.. or better yet.. trade for corals i dont have. My green slkmer i bkught for 60$.. its quadroopled in size in 2 months.. i could frag it 4 times now... If this coral grows that fast.. why was i charged 60$.

Smh

And if i did sell them.. i would be cheap... you want 3 heads of frogspawn ? Sure then bring me a 50 gallon bag of instant oceon salt (12$) so i can do a water change.. you know something like that.

My teal.blue candycane has maybe 50 heads on it... If i broke it into two heads per frag plug and sold it at store prices of 25-35$ id be super rich... its retarded..

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is tang police, or mandarin police. It make it impossible to research, discuss, and share about challenges on maintaining fish with constraints. Whenever it's mentioned the tank size is smaller than the recommendation, the comments immediately focus on that and all suggestions are just don't do it or return it, without much explanation besides its too small. There wasn't much explanation on where that size recommendation comes from and why that number.

I kept tangs, triggers, moorish idols, in 40 gallons. I know it's not impossible. There are challenges, and may require future planning, like how long to expect before needing to rehome it. Those are the important topics, so that we can make informed decision. This hobby is all about taking on challenges. There are lots of learning opportunities around how to maintain a fish in a relatively smaller tank, and what to look for, etc. But the tang polices make it unnecessarily difficult to navigate through those discussions. And it's even harder to search for relevant info.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i knew anyone local to me in northern virginia id have no problems giving them heads of my frogspawns and my teal.blue candycanes.. I also dont mjnd giving a head or teo away of my torch coral now that its split to frag without cutting into the flesh. I mean i started with 6 frogspawn heads for 40$... I now have 17 heads and thats in like 3 months... in fact my frogsoawn is getting too bushy and too close to my olating monti..

Id even give away peices of my red planet and green slimer acropora.. or better yet.. trade for corals i dont have. My green slkmer i bkught for 60$.. its quadroopled in size in 2 months.. i could frag it 4 times now... If this coral grows that fast.. why was i charged 60$.

Smh

And if i did sell them.. i would be cheap... you want 3 heads of frogspawn ? Sure then bring me a 50 gallon bag of instant oceon salt (12$) so i can do a water change.. you know something like that.

My teal.blue candycane has maybe 50 heads on it... If i broke it into two heads per frag plug and sold it at store prices of 25-35$ id be super rich... its retarded..
Hey I might be local. But I don't need any corals.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to take BRS with a hefty grain of salt because at the end of the day they are salesman above all else. They’re not running a charity or scientific organization they are paying their bills and employees.
Yup that’s what I was alluding to. It’s all about sales. But there is still valuable information on their videos. You just can’t follow it all exactly or you’ll be spending an unnecessary amount of money

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Sailfinguy21, post: 6605194, member: 123415"
People these days are instant gratifiers... And i hsve been known to be like that too.. But they want the tank the fish that day.. and when you explain it to them they ignore you.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. You see this everywhere. Heck...my kids freaked out when our microwave died and we boiled the hotdogs. I'm a librarian and if people can't get the answer about the drummer boy in the Norwegian invasion of England immediately, they become frustrated. They either assume I know exactly what book that information is in or can find it online immediately. Reefing is the same way and people are surprised to find out it is a science and requires patience and research. But business/the world is based on money and making life easier. People have become accustomed to that. I don't blame them -- I blame the internet/technology. Perhaps we can appeal to Microsoft to see if they can come up with computerized aquarium that quarantines your fish/coral the instant you place it in your tank. :cool:

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that’s what I was alluding to. It’s all about sales. But there is still valuable information on their videos. You just can’t follow it all exactly or you’ll be spending an unnecessary amount of money

Yes BRS is cool but they dont test stuff they dont sell.

Take test kits for example they put all this time an effort to test red sea, salifert, hanna ect for ammonia calcium,alk, and all that stuff.. but they didnt include api test kits. Sure API lacks magnesium tests but still.. what about calcium. Alk. Ph. Nitrates. And so forth..

I asked them why and they said it was because alot of people say api is bad so they didnt bother... LOL what kind of answer is that.. I thought they wanted to see how accurate each brand was.. So why not try api..

Its because they dont sell API and are afraid to show that a 8$ calcium and $5.50 alk test or better yet the 20$ box with all the tests from API is just as accurate as the single alk 22$ salifert kit they sell.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tested with api and the more reputable test kit brands and compared? Cuz I would much rather spend less on testing if they’re both equally accurate

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people buying things not knowing what they are. if you don't know what something is, why buy it and put it in your tank? What if its some crazed coral, fish, etc. that destroys everything in your tank? (I know, not likely, but still). Before I put anything in my tank if I don't know what it is, I research it so I know what it needs (lighting, flow, nutrients, compatibility) so that it survives

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chaeto: Pronounced Kchaaeaattoe, or kato, or chato, or cheeto or something.

Which brings up a pet peeve. There's so many words used out there that I only see spelled out and have no idea how to pronounce. Not to mention the acronyms that keep me mystified.
LOL interestingly - its actually pronounced 'Keetomorfa' or 'keeto'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Truisms that may not be 'true':

"Nothing good happens fast"
"Clowns hosting anemones (isn't it the reverse)"
"Dry rock is bad" (in 2 months - dry rock becomes live rock)

etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry bro:).... Your incorrect its actually believe it or not - and I didnt believe it until I checked it out - its most close to keeeto.. here is a link:)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQxhsqVfQg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, as in ‘kai’ sounds like ‘tie’

A lot of words starting in ‘chae ’ are pronounced ‘kai’ In my field

But now that I’m trying to think of specific examples, I can’t, lol
Nope:)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQxhsqVfQg

TheIcon42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Smh

where are you in NOVA I may he able to help

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As usual I'm going to change my vote - and I haven't seen it yet:

Abbreviations that anyone coming to the site for the first time would have no clue as to their meaning:

AEFW, GAC, HOB, TERG, YOUF, RET, CAGD etc etc.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tested with api and the more reputable test kit brands and compared? Cuz I would much rather spend less on testing if they’re both equally accurate

Yea i have, in fact in my local store we tested 2 of salferts alkalinity tests and both were way off.. One kit showed my tank was at 18 dkh lol.. The other kit on the shelf we tried showed 16.. And for their frag tanks it showed 17 dkh.. which is impossible.

On doing further research i found alot of people had this problem with saliferty. Showing off the charts alk. So we pulled out a hannah checker and it showed my tank was at 9.5 dkh. Then we checked the api kit and it showed 9. (With api there is no .5. You have to take a guess with that.. meaning if almost turns yellow at 9.. then turns yellow at 10 its most likely 9.5

Thats thr only problem with api.

So tbh my 5$ api alk was showing what a 50$ tester that comes with what like 10 tests when you buy it showed. It was the same for the other tests too..

If you go online you can find other people who tested api with other kits and got near identical readings. Note i said near every kit will read different.

So to me.. with 55+ corals and 20+ being sps.. my api kits are doing just fine. Its more about stability then how on spot the kit is.. if it shows 9kh and its 9.5.. big deal. Just maintain it at the 9 ?? But thats just my way of thinking.

Only problem with api is they have no magnesium.. or other semi important tests like strontium or what not.

I mesn it doesnt hurt to buy a 22$ reef master kit snd try it out does it ? 22$ isnt too bad you get alk.calcium.nitrate. ph.. Buy it on amazon or something.. If the kit sucks return it

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back