When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea i have, in fact in my local store we tested 2 of salferts alkalinity tests and both were way off.. One kit showed my tank was at 18 dkh lol.. The other kit on the shelf we tried showed 16.. And for their frag tanks it showed 17 dkh.. which is impossible.

On doing further research i found alot of people had this problem with saliferty. Showing off the charts alk. So we pulled out a hannah checker and it showed my tank was at 9.5 dkh. Then we checked the api kit and it showed 9. (With api there is no .5. You have to take a guess with that.. meaning if almost turns yellow at 9.. then turns yellow at 10 its most likely 9.5

Thats thr only problem with api.

So tbh my 5$ api alk was showing what a 50$ tester that comes with what like 10 tests when you buy it showed. It was the same for the other tests too..

If you go online you can find other people who tested api with other kits and got near identical readings. Note i said near every kit will read different.

So to me.. with 55+ corals and 20+ being sps.. my api kits are doing just fine. Its more about stability then how on spot the kit is.. if it shows 9kh and its 9.5.. big deal. Just maintain it at the 9 ?? But thats just my way of thinking.

Only problem with api is they have no magnesium.. or other semi important tests like strontium or what not
Yes - my experience as well - ive bought all the others - they are hard to read - the hanna (to me) are unreliable - and the api gives a good trend. Frankly - I dont care if my alkalinity differs by o.5 in a day - until - god willing I get my mindstream:)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bro:).... Your incorrect its actually believe it or not - and I didnt believe it until I checked it out - its most close to keeeto.. here is a link:)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQxhsqVfQg

In all fairness @ScottR doesn’t live here, he may be adapting the pronunciation to another dialect or accent.:eek:o_O;Woot

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all fairness @ScottR doesn’t live here, he may be adapting the pronunciation to another dialect or accent.:eek:o_O;Woot
I wansn't critiising - I was just saying its interesting I would never criticize @ScottR. I had no clue about the proper pronunciation - I would have said 'kato' or something like that.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wansn't critiising - I was just saying its intreating I would never criticize @ScottR

I know. I always like your stuff. I was just joking and more at @ScottR expense

We had a battle of the Scotts on Another thread

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bro:).... Your incorrect its actually believe it or not - and I didnt believe it until I checked it out - its most close to keeeto.. here is a link:)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfQxhsqVfQg
If you saw it on YouTube, it is 100% correct :D

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I always like your stuff. I was just joking and more at @ScottR expense

We had a battle of the Scotts on Another thread
I always appreciate waking up to getting beat up on the internet :p

Now I need to come up with some strange conspiracy as to why someone with a cat avi says mastiffs rule.;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always appreciate waking up to getting beat up on the internet :p

Now I need to come up with some strange conspiracy as to why someone with a cat avi says mastiffs rule.;)
GOOD ONE:). cats do not rule. Bassets rule:)

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is when people that show a picture of there aquarium and say that it is maybe 1 year old and it looks like it is 5 years old and not tell that the frags were 2 years old when they installed them. Makes me wonder what I am doing wrong, Mine didn't grow that fast.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be someone saying in their experience everything was fine... but then don't say how long their experience is or show pics. I try not to take advice from someone unless I see how nice their tank is.

Like in my experience acros THRIVE with no nitrate and high light... then you see a FTS pic with all frags and none have finished encrusting the plug.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness, if you put four coral biologists together in a room you are likely to get 4 different pronunciations of Acropora, too. It all comes down to which syllable is emphasized.

While there are technically rules for pronunciation of dead languages, they're spoken so little that they end up diverging more in pronunciation than live languages. You can see this to some extent with the general differences in how researchers in the Caribbean region pronounce Acropora vs workers in the Indo Pacific.

Probably the funniest one I've ever come across was an odd pronunciation of Seriatopora.
Sare-ee-at-a-POOR-ah
Just makes me laugh every time I hear it. (I've generally heard and pronounced Sare-ee-a-TOP-or-ah)

For the record, I'm firmly in the A-CROP-or-ah camp!

For me, having read acropora 1000 time before hearing someone say it... its shorten to acro. you dont pronounce acro as "ah-kra", most would say ack-row... ad pora so ack-row-pour-a. one of those things I have been saying for 15 years and won't stop. Like moving to the east coast, I will still say pop for life.

I chalk it up to English-English vs American-English: Al-oo-min-um vs Ah-loo-mini-um

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back