When it rains, it pours....

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title implies, my life just got a whole lot harder/ stressful. Right now my fish that where I being quarantined for ich, and I came home a few days ago to see an outbreak of velvet. Purple tang and clownfish were and still are covered. And to top it off I think I’m also dealing with an internal infection. The fish were already being treated in copper but I pulled them out and FW dip and a 90 min Acriflavine bath then put them back in the Qt. Right now any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I’m using copper power and would like to know if the Seachem test kit will work with it? Thanks ☹️

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sounds ok except I believe you want the API test kit for copper power or the Hanna checker.keep the copper power at 1.75ppm and the minimum therapeutic level is 1.50ppm. You can treat for 30 days or 14 days with transfer to a sterile tank.
For internal parasites use either Metro or General Cure mixed with Focus and food, fed tonthem for 14 days.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos of them? How long were they in copper, and at what level, before the suspected velvet showed up?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish are in therapeutic copper for ich, you shouldn't be seeing velvet.

Are you sure you don't have Brook or something bacterial going on? That wouldn't be covered by copper?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
678E62AD-9FBF-4209-A4E6-4F593BE528A9.jpeg
Do you have any photos of them? How long were they in copper, and at what level, before the suspected velvet showed up?

If your fish are in therapeutic copper for ich, you shouldn't be seeing velvet.

Are you sure you don't have Brook or something bacterial going on? That wouldn't be covered by copper?

I just started ramping up copper levels this week.
I started with 4.4 ml of copper on day 1 and 2.2ml. 2x a day until therapeutic level was reached. When I came home from school on I believe Tuesday or Wednesday that’s when I saw my clownfish swimming against the filter current and all of my other fish covered in spots minus my leopard wrasse.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
678E62AD-9FBF-4209-A4E6-4F593BE528A9.jpeg

I just started ramping up copper levels this week.
I started with 4.4 ml of copper on day 1 and 2.2ml. 2x a day until therapeutic level was reached. When I came home from school on I believe Tuesday or Wednesday that’s when I saw my clownfish swimming against the filter current and all of my other fish covered in spots minus my leopard wrasse.
So you need to get your copper therapeutic asap if you haven't yet.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I think I’m almost at 1 ppm but a second look wouldn’t hurt. Will another few dip
Help?
D62522FB-B286-401B-B767-F28E0B190E43.jpeg

With the current pic of the fish I would start working towards 2.0 and fast. Ideally 1.75ppm is where most try to keep it. Using the API test is tough so I’d start shooting for close to the 2.0ppm color

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: As of yesterday I have lost 3 fish so far ( copperband, black damsel, and my male Picasso clown☹️). Everyone else seems to be hanging in there.

Here’s the problem I’m having, I have dosed copper almost everyday. As of last Friday I had thought I had gotten my copper to around 1.75-2ppm and Saturday the fish barely had any spots on them. But when I looked at them this morning. The Purple tang had about 15 - 20 spots. I just don’t get it.

I’m also really worried about my PT as I have not seen him eat in a week. I am currently treating with Kanaplex as well ( he had a nasty eye infection) I did the 3rd/ final dose last night.
I really don’t know what else to do right now...

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about your copper levels. I hate trying to match up colors that aren’t really on the chart. I would recommend the Hanna Copper Checker it makes copper so easy. Make sure to get a couple extra boxes of reagents as it only comes with 6

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about your copper levels. I hate trying to match up colors that aren’t really on the chart. I would recommend the Hanna Copper Checker it makes copper so easy. Make sure to get a couple extra boxes of reagents as it only comes with 6

I really wish I could but I'm on a budget being that I’m still in HS.

I’m also starting to worry more about my PT. It’s almost as if he’s blind. There is a semi-transparent Film over his eyes and his eyes are twitching back and forth constantly.

Thanks!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I could but I'm on a budget being that I’m still in HS.

I’m also starting to worry more about my PT. It’s almost as if he’s blind. There is a semi-transparent Film over his eyes and his eyes are twitching back and forth constantly.

Thanks!

I would also say he is probably not blind if his eyes are twitching he’s probably trying to look through his clouded lenses.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like secondary infection with the velvet...

Do you have acriflavine? Ruby reef rally or API fungus cure? Can do a bath in a 5-gallon bucket to try to slow the infection down.

And, I wouldn’t discontinue the kanaplex... I’d actually add metroplex and furan-2 in. Dose every 48 hours, preferably after a 25% water change. With the copper struggling to stay at therapeutic, maybe try to do the water change every other dose.

You’ll want to add the copper and test the bucket before adding it to the QT, to make sure he new water is not going to lower the level in the tank, even for a few minutes.

Can you post another picture of your copper test? Is it definitely at 2.0?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have acriflavine? Ruby reef rally or API fungus cure? Can do a bath in a 5-gallon bucket to try to slow the infection down.

And, I wouldn’t discontinue the kanaplex... I’d actually add metroplex and furan-2 in. Dose every 48 hours, preferably after a 25% water change. With the copper struggling to stay at therapeutic, maybe try to do the water change every other dose.

You’ll want to add the copper and test the bucket before adding it to the QT, to make sure he new water is not going to lower the level in the tank, even for a few minutes.

This exactly.

I agree, as usual.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who taught who. As usual @ngoodermuth beat @4FordFamily to the treatment. With all due respect to @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth and @HotRocks you guys rock on treating and maintaining health of the fish. Also you lend your expertise and time to all of us.

This exactly.

I agree, as usual.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back