When should I turn on the lights?

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started cycling, Turbo Start with 2 clownfish, since 8/2/21 - over 100 days. Parameters have been holding steady since 9/15/21:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I haven't been in a rush to turn the lights on since there is enough ambient light (tank is in a wall between two offices) to be able to enjoy the fish.

But, is it safe to set the lights up now? Or should I give it a few more months to avoid the ugly stages?
IMG_20211110_130507.jpg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is required by photosynthetic organisms, fish don’t care.
If you have nothing photosynthetic, completely your wish.
Yeah, I get that if I have photosynthetic organisms, lights are a must.

My question is: am I past the ugly stages at this point, or would it be better for me to wait a while longer?

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my time in this hobby I've learned that there are many ways to get the same result. Leaving your lights off is good for a cycling tank, but algae which is the main building block for a reef can't grow without it. Once you turn on your lights you'll begin the stages. Some tanks skip stages (to be honest I'm not sure why this is) while others have to go through every single one and it can take a year or two before the algae and bacteria meet at a equilibrium. I will be honest. I've always left my lights on from the very beginning, and one of my enjoyments I find in this hobby, is the uglies, because it makes me appreciate my (mostly stable) reef now. Get yourself a cheap microscope, sit back and observe life that is being made by light :)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, this is where this hobby seems to be more of an art than a science. The BRS guys recommend leaving the lights off for a while to avoid the uglies. Yall are saying otherwise. Who's correct in this matter?
If you leave the lights off, you'll still eventually get an "ugly stage" but it'll be minor because of the lack of light. But even if you leave the lights off for a year, you'll still get an ugly stage once the lights are on.

CryptoNautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave the lights off, you'll still eventually get an "ugly stage" but it'll be minor because of the lack of light. But even if you leave the lights off for a year, you'll still get an ugly stage once the lights are on.
Ahh, thank you for the clarification :)

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my time in this hobby I've learned that there are many ways to get the same result. Leaving your lights off is good for a cycling tank, but algae which is the main building block for a reef can't grow without it. Once you turn on your lights you'll begin the stages. Some tanks skip stages (to be honest I'm not sure why this is) while others have to go through every single one and it can take a year or two before the algae and bacteria meet at a equilibrium. I will be honest. I've always left my lights on from the very beginning, and one of my enjoyments I find in this hobby, is the uglies, because it makes me appreciate my (mostly stable) reef now. Get yourself a cheap microscope, sit back and observe life that is being made by light :)
I'm with you. But, this tank is at my work, and my boss is neurotic about everything. No matter how much I explain things to him, I still have to deal with questions like "why is there algae in the tank?" and "why aren't you putting more fish in the tank" or "I saw this fish online, and I like it. I want it in the tank now, and don't tell me I can't have it."

Luckily my boss is also my best friend, so I usually tell him to get bent when he makes suggestions for the tank.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank started cycling, Turbo Start with 2 clownfish, since 8/2/21 - over 100 days. Parameters have been holding steady since 9/15/21:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I haven't been in a rush to turn the lights on since there is enough ambient light (tank is in a wall between two offices) to be able to enjoy the fish.

But, is it safe to set the lights up now? Or should I give it a few more months to avoid the ugly stages?
IMG_20211110_130507.jpg
I would get the N03 and P04 up before adding light. It looks like you used dry rock, and, dry rock will absorb N03 and P04 until saturated. I am saying this to help you prevent the possibilities of Dino's.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the N03 and P04 up before adding light. It looks like you used dry rock, and, dry rock will absorb N03 and P04 until saturated. I am saying this to help you prevent the possibilities of Dino's.
What do you suggest I get it up to? I don't know what my phosphate levels are. Should I be testing for that also?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest I get it up to? I don't know what my phosphate levels are. Should I be testing for that also?
I would suggest that you test for P04 as well. I said what I did because I just went thru a battle with Dino's on a new tank. ;)

I used several means to raise my N03 and P04. 6 tangs, overfeeding, and dosing a bottle of NeoNitro and NeoPhos weekly...literally. I didn't have enough of a load on my 225 gal tank initially, and had to go thru some extreme measures to get the N03 and P04 up.

I do like the NeoNitro and NeoPhos.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you test for P04 as well. I said what I did because I just went thru a battle with Dino's on a new tank. ;)

I used several means to raise my N03 and P04. 6 tangs, overfeeding, and dosing a bottle of NeoNitro and NeoPhos weekly...literally. I didn't have enough of a load on my 225 gal tank initially, and had to go thru some extreme measures to get the N03 and P04 up.

I do like the NeoNitro and NeoPhos.
Luckily, we don't have to worry about me NOT overfeeding this tank.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

IMG_20211110_130507.jpg
I don’t think there is a reason to wait any longer but make sure nor you phosphate or nitrate is not 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back