When to add Carbon, GFO, Chaeto and Copepods?

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon with 40 gallon sump and refugium.

I've cycled my rock for 2 months (with phantom feeding), added it to the tank, and added live sand. I also add bacteria to the tank. Cycled the entire thing together for 2 weeks and all the levels look good. I know this is sooner than normal but I think it's due from cycling the rock and adding the bacteria.

I've added 2 small clown fish, and two small frags.

1. When should I add carbon and gfo to the sump?
2. Eventually I want to add a Mandarin. When should I add the Copepods? And what's the care for them? I was thinking of adding them to the refugium to let them reproduce.
3. When do I add chaeto?

A lot of questions, each with their own novel I'm sure! Thank you!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add GFO when you see a rise in Phosphate levels, Carbon can be used whenever because it has multiple uses such as eliminating odor and yellow pigments from the water. I would seed both the tank and refugium with copepods and i would get those two going soon, theres no care for copepods they eat detritus and some forms of phytoplankton so they'll be fine in the tank.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add GFO when you see a rise in Phosphate levels, Carbon can be used whenever because it has multiple uses such as eliminating odor and yellow pigments from the water. I would seed both the tank and refugium with copepods and i would get those two going soon, theres no care for copepods they eat detritus and some forms of phytoplankton so they'll be fine in the tank.
+1

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the tank is just started will there be enough detritus in the tank for the copepods?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back