When to add coral (signs & signals)

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is a solid answer to this question, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

So,
When / is there a good time to add coral?
Does it matter if you started with live or dry rock?
Do you go by water parameters or something else?

And finally,
Will adding coral help keep retreating algae at bay?

I ask these questions because I've seen answers both ways on each of them... and lets be honest, I'm looking for a reason to start adding coral ahead of my planned schedule.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is a solid answer to this question, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

So,
When / is there a good time to add coral?
Does it matter if you started with live or dry rock?
Do you go by water parameters or something else?

And finally,
Will adding coral help keep retreating algae at bay?

I ask these questions because I've seen answers both ways on each of them... and lets be honest, I'm looking for a reason to start adding coral ahead of my planned schedule.
How old is the tank? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you have a system of nutrient export in place? :)
Technically you can add them right away, but you will need to keep on top of parameters and do water changes to keep the big 3 stable until you start dosing down the line. I would say not to add them until your cycle is finished to be on the safe side at the very least. Adding corals immediately is more for experienced reefers, and if you do it too early you may have some unexpected losses. They're finicky animals.

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you have a system of nutrient export in place? :)
Technically you can add them right away, but you will need to keep on top of parameters and do water changes to keep the big 3 stable until you start dosing down the line. I would say not to add them until your cycle is finished to be on the safe side at the very least. Adding corals immediately is more for experienced reefers, and if you do it too early you may have some unexpected losses. They're finicky animals.
For me personally, I think its still too early. I've still got 1 more fish to add, and my diatoms are still around, although they aren't really a problem, as of now.

I also am just doing water changes for export. I've got a small tank, so no plans on a skimmer for now. I am not really planning to dose, I am going for some hardy / easy mode corals for beginners, but that will be a whole other topic when I need help picking said corals :) I'm hoping between the reef crystals salt and my RO system (see pic), ill have enough elements in the water with water changes. The ALK filter adds in Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and some other stuff.

But in general I just wanted to answer those questions, because as a person with a small tank, I already have a shopping list for the giant tank I want to have lol

Attachments

• IMG-0250.jpg
    IMG-0250.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 22

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, I think its still too early. I've still got 1 more fish to add, and my diatoms are still around, although they aren't really a problem, as of now.

I also am just doing water changes for export. I've got a small tank, so no plans on a skimmer for now. I am not really planning to dose, I am going for some hardy / easy mode corals for beginners, but that will be a whole other topic when I need help picking said corals :) I'm hoping between the reef crystals salt and my RO system (see pic), ill have enough elements in the water with water changes. The ALK filter adds in Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and some other stuff.

But in general I just wanted to answer those questions, because as a person with a small tank, I already have a shopping list for the giant tank I want to have lol
Sounds like you've got a good system in place. You may want to consider a skimmer down the line, but there are plenty of very hardy corals like leathers you could use. Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back