When to add muriatic acid to saltwater?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the salt to my 44 gal brute. The water is still cloudy from the newly added salt.

Is now the perfect time to add the muriatic acid to lower the alk, or should I wait until the saltwater is fully dissolved and clear?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added the salt to my 44 gal brute. The water is still cloudy from the newly added salt.

Is now the perfect time to add the muriatic acid to lower the alk, or should I wait until the saltwater is fully dissolved and clear?

Nothing wrong with putting it in even before the salt. Later is OK, but then may only reduce the precipitate (if that matters) by actually dissolving it, which isn't guaranteed depending on how low the pH goes.

I saw pics of a guy's Brute can using IO plus muriatic acid to achieve lower alk and it was pristine.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with putting it in even before the salt. Later is OK, but then may only reduce the precipitate (if that matters) by actually dissolving it, which isn't guaranteed depending on how low the pH goes.

I saw pics of a guy's Brute can using IO plus muriatic acid to achieve lower alk and it was pristine.
Thanks! I also use muriatic acid and IO and the brute is also pristine. The brute that doesn’t use it is crusty on the bottom.

After using the muriatic, am I allowed to test the alkalinity while the brute is mixing, or should I allow it to settle first?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Randy - I have to get my ALk in my display down from 10 DKH to 7.5-8DkH. I have 550 gallons total system volume.

My game plan was to have a few 65 gallon drums in rotation for mixing saltwater and transferring once PH stabilize.

Question is, can i bring the ALK down to 5DKH or less and use it without causing issues? With my water volume i dont see it being an issue, I dont have any corals, just fish.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I also use muriatic acid and IO and the brute is also pristine. The brute that doesn’t use it is crusty on the bottom.

After using the muriatic, am I allowed to test the alkalinity while the brute is mixing, or should I allow it to settle first?
If it is cloudy, the particulates may dissolve in the alk test and give a false high reading if not settled first.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy - I have to get my ALk in my display down from 10 DKH to 7.5-8DkH. I have 550 gallons total system volume.

My game plan was to have a few 65 gallon drums in rotation for mixing saltwater and transferring once PH stabilize.

Question is, can i bring the ALK down to 5DKH or less and use it without causing issues? With my water volume i dont see it being an issue, I dont have any corals, just fish.

Yes, you can lower the alk as much as you want.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my "recipe" for mixing IO and lowering the alk.

I let it mix until it's fully clear, test salinity, add acid.

Only reason is so I know my salinity is proper, and how much acid to add. If your salinity is slightly higher, it will make the ALK higher, and vice Vs. I tend to shoot for 7.2 to 7.6. If I'm close to that, it's all good.

I've been doing it that way for so long, I test salinity at 1.026, then just dump in 16ml of acid. Gets me close enough.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my "recipe" for mixing IO and lowering the alk.

I let it mix until it's fully clear, test salinity, add acid.

Only reason is so I know my salinity is proper, and how much acid to add. If your salinity is slightly higher, it will make the ALK higher, and vice Vs. I tend to shoot for 7.2 to 7.6. If I'm close to that, it's all good.

I've been doing it that way for so long, I test salinity at 1.026, then just dump in 16ml of acid. Gets me close enough.
Thanks!

16mL of acid? How big is your saltwater container? I need 9mL of HCl to lower IO to about 7.5-8dkh. I use 1.026 salinity as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back