When to add refugium to a new tank

Reefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am starting a new mixed reef tank and are about to start the cycling process and am wondering when to add a refugium to my sump. I am going to use the Algae Barn refugium starter kit. I am wondering when to add the components of the kit to my sump. Should I add them at the beginning of cycling when I have nothing in my tank or wait until after cycling when I have some fish in the tank. Thanks !!

tc3driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right or wrong I added mine as soon as my cycle was done, and a had a few fish in the aquarium. It is doing a great job of controlling my nutrients. Phosphate is still a little high (.09 ppm) but steadily dropping and Nitrates are hovering between 10 and 12 ppm.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, in my mind it is all about that stability, and making a change like that later seems to be a factor of instability (at least over a short period) that may throw off some balance.

Welcome to R2R

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

If you start Refugium now, the algae won’t have any nutrients to feed it. Better to wait until the tank is more established. Better chances of success.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am starting a new mixed reef tank and are about to start the cycling process and am wondering when to add a refugium to my sump. I am going to use the Algae Barn refugium starter kit. I am wondering when to add the components of the kit to my sump. Should I add them at the beginning of cycling when I have nothing in my tank or wait until after cycling when I have some fish in the tank. Thanks !!
What did you end up doing and how did it turn out?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back