When to add SPS? And what's the best beginner SPS?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had its 6 month anniversary yesterday and I'm itching for some SPS. The parameters have been stable for a while now and I test twice a week and track on an excel sheet to make sure they stay that way. This tank has gone exceptionally smoothly, literally only one thing has died and it was a single hermit crab. The parameters are currently:

- Mag is1270
- Alk: Red Sea says 8.75, my Hanna says 8.70. Close enough.
- Temp is a constant 77-78 F.
- Salinity is 1.025
- Nitrate is between 5-8
- Calcium is 425
- Phosphate is .07
- pH is 8.1-8.2

I'm running a BioCube 32, the corals I have currently are doing great and growing like weeds. I have some frogspawn, a Duncan, some zoas, some acans, and a scoly atm. I really want to try some SPS in the near future. What's the best beginner SPS, and when can I add it?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had its 6 month anniversary yesterday and I'm itching for some SPS. The parameters have been stable for a while now and I test twice a week and track on an excel sheet to make sure they stay that way. This tank has gone exceptionally smoothly, literally only one thing has died and it was a single hermit crab. The parameters are currently:

- Mag is1270
- Alk: Red Sea says 8.75, my Hanna says 8.70. Close enough.
- Temp is a constant 77-78 F.
- Salinity is 1.025
- Nitrate is between 5-8
- Calcium is 425
- Phosphate is .07
- pH is 8.1-8.2

I'm running a BioCube 32, the corals I have currently are doing great and growing like weeds. I have some frogspawn, a Duncan, some zoas, some acans, and a scoly atm. I really want to try some SPS in the near future. What's the best beginner SPS, and when can I add it?
Your parameters look good. Are you seeing coraline algae growth? If so you should be good to go. I would start out with a Montipora digitada. Other good starters include Montipora capricornis, Seriatopora Hystrix (birdsnest), and when you're ready for Acropora, Acropora Yongei (green slimer) is a great starter Acro.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the birdsnest I bought for $20 on 11/10.

20201110_144825.jpg
here it is on 12/10
20201210_100119.jpg

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your LPSs are growing, you can try adding SPS. I think birdsnest is an easy SPS. That's my first SPS and it grew a lot in 1 month.
I've killed more birdsnest than anything else in this hobby. And every one of the 'what coral can't you grow' threads around here - birdsnest is the winner. It seems to be really easy for some people, and impossible for others.

Green is definitely the easiest.

Easy SPS IMO:
Monti Cap
Monti Digi
Green Slimer Acro (Yongei)
ORA Tricolor (Valida)

I've never found the 'easy' acros to be all that difficult - and frankly, I think a lot of them are easier to keep than some of the montis/etc. If I bottom out my phosphates - the montis die before the acros do.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your lighting and have you checked PAR levels?
I’m running the Steve LED biocube upgrade. I haven’t measured PAR, is there an easy/convenient way to do that? I don’t want to buy a PAR meter and use it like once or twice...

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color are you after and what is your budget? I would avoid Montipora Caps in that size tank. They can grow very quickly and absorb a lot of alk an calcium. Speaking of what are you using to supplement cal, alk, mag?

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color are you after and what is your budget? I would avoid Montipora Caps in that size tank. They can grow very quickly and absorb a lot of alk an calcium. Speaking of what are you using to supplement cal, alk, mag?
I’m not after any fancy colors at the moment. In terms of budget, looking to stay relatively inexpensive for the first few frags, probably like $30-70 per frag. I might get two to start. I’m manually dosing Red Sea foundation pro atm.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m running the Steve LED biocube upgrade. I haven’t measured PAR, is there an easy/convenient way to do that? I don’t want to buy a PAR meter and use it like once or twice...
Check some local clubs; many times you'll find someone who will let you borrow one. LFS may have one also. I rented one from BRS for a week.

However, from what I see, there isn't much adjustability with the Steve LED biocube upgrade. So, you may want to just go for a cheap frag or two and see what happens.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check some local clubs; many times you'll find someone who will let you borrow one. LFS may have one also. I rented one from BRS for a week.

However, from what I see, there isn't much adjustability with the Steve LED biocube upgrade. So, you may want to just go for a cheap frag or two and see what happens.
Thanks. It comes with a controller that allows me or adjust the intensity of the blues and the whites. Currently blues are on 60% and whites 40%. I’ll see about renting a PAR meter.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It comes with a controller that allows me or adjust the intensity of the blues and the whites. Currently blues are on 60% and whites 40%. I’ll see about renting a PAR meter.
I spent many years in CO. Lots of good reef people there. Join a local forum in Ft. Colins and get all those easy sps frags for free. Should never have to pay for that stuff.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only two sps still unbleached in my current tank crisis : pavona and acro tenuis. tenuis lost colour so now brown with green and blue patches

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back