When to add SPS? And what's the best beginner SPS?

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 months old but started adding SPS with no issues. In fact I just started a new QT with some small pieces of live rock and it’s getting overrun by cyano, but sps doing great.

Beyond what was mentioned, I’d look into stylos and pocillopora too. I’ve had success with those. Not sure about acros, I want to prove it that my other sps can survive before I get bold.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn from my mistake, don't add anything to your tank that you don't truly want. If you want to keep acros then see if you can find someone local who can "lend" you a test frag. See if it establishes itself. If so then great, if that's an acro you want to keep then keep it, if you want to go for more exotic ($$$) acros then go ahead and then you can sell off the test frag. I made the mistake of adding some montipora digitata to my tank and then added acros later. We'll the acros grew great, unfortunately the montis did too and eventually crowded out and started growing over the acros. If you really want to try montiporas or something you don't want to keep long term put it on a rock you can remove later.

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've killed more birdsnest than anything else in this hobby. And every one of the 'what coral can't you grow' threads around here - birdsnest is the winner. It seems to be really easy for some people, and impossible for others.

Green is definitely the easiest.

Easy SPS IMO:
Monti Cap
Monti Digi
Green Slimer Acro (Yongei)
ORA Tricolor (Valida)

I've never found the 'easy' acros to be all that difficult - and frankly, I think a lot of them are easier to keep than some of the montis/etc. If I bottom out my phosphates - the montis die before the acros do.
I’m on my second birds nest dead

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here's the birdsnest I bought for $20 on 11/10.

20201110_144825.jpg
here it is on 12/10
20201210_100119.jpg
great growth what are you doing for that type of growth??

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of Purple stylo's as first 'sticks' in a tank, super durable, grow good and have a very unique fluffy quality to them. I also agree with the PAR meter, its a game changer to understand how intense the light is in different parts of your tank. Best of luck!

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
it is an old fowlr, almost 16 years old. But I only converted it to reef tank last year. Parameters were way over the recommended for reef so I slowly brought it down. First softies where August, LPS in Oct and SPS in November.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is an old fowlr, almost 16 years old. But I only converted it to reef tank last year. Parameters were way over the recommended for reef so I slowly brought it down. First softies where August, LPS in Oct and SPS in November.
If your rock is established you have a good shot at keeping SPS since mature reef is probably the number 1 most imporant thing. I would recommend spend time acclimating them and take the time to test Alk in incoming corals bag. For example, your alk is 10dkh and incoming is 7dkh. Take at least 2-3 hours to acclimate the new coral slowly with drip acclimation. If alk is off by 1 dkh take 1 hour or less. Make sure to add SPS that are less likely to carry pest like Stylo or birdsnest. Remember, if you can keep you ALK stable and pay attention to acclimating depending on alk and even use same principals with lighting - you will be successful.

Also, I think its very easy to get carried away in the beginning and keep adding SPS pack and SPS pack and not waiting more than few weeks at a time. I would wait 2 months minimum between adding SPS. if they can get past 2 month and are clearly vibrant then only add. I know I am babbling but its things I wish I had done before that could have saved me some headaches, often times we just gotta learn the hard way though.

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I bit the bullet. I bought three SPS frags, one purple stylo, one bubblegum m. digi, and one green slimer acro. I can get some pics tomorrow! Excited to see how they do. May be a bit overboard but they were all pretty cheap and the LFS was having a buy three get one free sale.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I bit the bullet. I bought three SPS frags, one purple stylo, one bubblegum m. digi, and one green slimer acro. I can get some pics tomorrow! Excited to see how they do. May be a bit overboard but they were all pretty cheap and the LFS was having a buy three get one free sale.
Great choices, that bubblegum gets some cool green in it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back