When to hook up the GFO reactor to reduce PO4

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you’re over your target level.

GFO gets a bad rap on here cuz noobs don’t know how to use it; I run it 24/7 365. Nothing dies, but why?

Agree 100%. I run a gfo reactor 24/7 as well. I use 4 tablespoons in a 112 gallon system and change it every week or so. Many reefers misuse GFO, then blame it for coral loss. It's a powerful tool and works well in small quantities. My Cherry Bomb tripled in size in 4 months so GFO obviously didn't hurt it at all.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you’re over your target level.

GFO gets a bad rap on here cuz noobs don’t know how to use it; I run it 24/7 365. Nothing dies, but why?
Many years ago I used GFO and carbon 24/7 in a successful sps tank, back then there was also more focus on low nutrients. What is your PO4 target? Mine is 0.08, however, I don't want to jump right into GFO again if I don't need to, considering the extra maintenance and if its unnecessary, as Chaswood believes. I can't remember what mine used to be years ago, I did have a checker, but didn't use it often.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I used GFO and carbon 24/7 in a successful sps tank, back then there was also more focus on low nutrients. What is your PO4 target? Mine is 0.08, however, I don't want to jump right into GFO again if I don't need to, considering the extra maintenance and if its unnecessary, as Chaswood believes. I can't remember what mine used to be years ago, I did have a checker, but didn't use it often.
I try to stay at 0.10 or below.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing dies??? Really???

I think all acro collectors experience some losses. I've lost 2 of 50+ this year. If GFO definitively kills acros, I would have a tank of dead acros as would @SeaDweller. My target for PO4 is .09 - .12. I don't think there's any benefit to having excess phosphates but I do agree that reef tanks should have some PO4.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all acro collectors experience some losses. I've lost 2 of 50+ this year. If GFO definitively kills acros, I would have a tank of dead acros as would @SeaDweller. My target for PO4 is .09 - .12. I don't think there's any benefit to having excess phosphates but I do agree that reef tanks should have some PO4.
I have deaths... but it ain’t from GFO!!!! @Chaswood79 just jelly he can’t handle the Ferrari of reefing media.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call tsa, wwc, Cherry corals, Jf, FHC, mythical corals, rru, and ask them if they use gfo and you’ll get the same answer from all of them. “No we do not.”

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call tsa, wwc, Cherry corals, Jf, FHC, mythical corals, rru, and ask them if they use gfo and you’ll get the same answer from all of them. “No we do not.”

Then you should call them to get on pro status.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dangerous statement. They just don’t run gfo just because. There is methodology and experience, not just we don’t run gfo. Many very successful hobbyist run gfo, and all these companies would run gfo if needed.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dangerous statement. They just don’t run gfo just because. There is methodology and experience, not just we don’t run gfo. Many very successful hobbyist run gfo, and all these companies would run gfo if needed.
Dangerous sounds like a bit of an over statement but ok. What I believe is more dangerous is the broad brush recommendations that no3/po4 needs to be less than 5/0.05, which is one of the common denominators in all the “help my sps are dying but my parameters are perfect and stable” blah blah blah. And I never said those vendors don’t control n/p. I said they don’t use gfo. You can add tck and living reef Orlando to that list as well. Haven’t asked this guy but I bet he doesn’t use it much either

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangerous sounds like a bit of an over statement but ok. What I believe is more dangerous is the broad brush recommendations that no3/po4 needs to be less than 5/0.05, which is one of the common denominators in all the “help my sps are dying but my parameters are perfect and stable” blah blah blah. And I never said those vendors don’t control n/p. I said they don’t use gfo. You can add tck and living reef Orlando to that list as well. Haven’t asked this guy but I bet he doesn’t use it much either
Let me ask, why do you think gfo is bad

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems that Adam is warning against stripping out all of the PO4. I think we all would agree with that position. Bottoming it out with any of the control methods is detrimental to coral health.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back