When to move a fish back from hospital tank to DT?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a clown to a hospital tank on 2/2/20 bc he seemed to have a vision problem, was malnourished, and was acting lethargic. MB baths seemed to help for a couple days but no resolution. Fresh water dip didnt provide a diagnosis so I moved her to a qt and fed her medicated pellets w/ epson salt, GC, and focus. I also treated the qt with two rounds of GC about 5 days apart and then 4 doses of erythromycin 2 to 3 days apart with a few water changes mixed in. The clown acts good much more active, seems normal except one thing. He doesnt eat food out of the water column he exclusively wonders and scoops food off the bottom. She does it allot and is eating well but it seems to me that she cant see very well if at all or she would eat suspended food. Thoughts? When can I introduce her back to the DT. She has been in the hospital tank for 21 days. She still looks a little thin and isnt back to a beight orange but she does act and swim much more aggressively which is normal for this fish.

Thanks

20200220_220655.jpg

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the clown "bump" into things? How do the eyes look? Cloudy?
@Big G I don't notice either I as cloudy, but it does seem like one has a small pupil and the other is very large. There isnt much to bump into in the hospital tank but it doesnt just run into the walls or the pvc it just seems to have a hard time seeing food as best as I can tell. I wilk try to post a pic of both eyes. Let me know if you see anything weird. Its hard to get her to sit still long enough to get a clear picture.

20200223_211610.jpg 20200223_211521.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but it sounds like the clown might be blind in at least one eye. I'd dose the erythromycin one more round to see if that helps a bit. If not you may have to train the fish to eat through an established routine.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but it sounds like the clown might be blind in at least one eye. I'd dose the erythromycin one more round to see if that helps a bit. If not you may have to train the fish to eat through an established routine.
@Big G Yea that is what I have been leaning towards I just didnt know for sure. I will try another dose of erythromycin and another week in the qt and see how it goes. It can't hurt and at least in the qt i know she is eating. Im worried when she goes back in the display everyone and everything will out compete her for food and she will starve. Any thoughts on what I could feed her and or how where I can garantee she is getting enough nutrition? Maybe something big and meety that I had can feed her with forceps???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back