When to Start Adding Back New Corals After A Strange Die Off of a Few?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my 10 gallon nano with a Noopsyche K7 V3 light, Ice Cap ATO, and chiller had a die off of a few corals seemingly out of nowhere that started a couple months back and now seems to be done (as in the affected corals are dead while the unaffected ones weren't affected at all). The tank was about a year old and didn't need to dose as parameters were kept in check by frequent testing and water changes. The only thing that did cause a sudden fluctuation was the addition of a new fish which caused a spike in my nitrates and phosphates due to his diet of grindal worms but after removing him and getting things back under control, a few corals kept dying (an acro, Monti Cap, and pocilloporra which were previously doing well). My two Digis made it fine and even showed growth along with my Crocea clam and inverts were fine. Should I start to slowly add back corals now (SPS but no across until I feel comfortable again)? Or what should I do? Alk, cal, nitrates, mag, phosphates, are where they should be at the recommended levels and seem stable as it's a fishless system now. What should I do?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you think a pathogen or pest caused the corals to die, I don't see why waiting any longer would be necessary...
I don't have any reason to think that...the only thing that crossed my mind was the aiptasia bloom I had (not major but still significant) and maybe they were releasing their slime that was hurting the more sensitive corals even though they weren't being directly stung? Have you heard of anything like this? I'll get rid of the aiptasia regardless before adding back many.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any reason to think that...the only thing that crossed my mind was the aiptasia bloom I had (not major but still significant) and maybe they were releasing their slime that was hurting the more sensitive corals even though they weren't being directly stung? Have you heard of anything like this? I'll get rid of the aiptasia regardless before adding back many.
I haven't heard of that. I don't recall ever seeing aiptasia "slime" either... what exactly happened?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back