When to...

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done with initial cycle of my show tank, 2 clowns finished 30 day QT and added to tank yesterday and seem to be doing ok so far. Should I turn on my reef lights now or wait? BRS and a couple other sites mention waiting for a couple weeks to avoid excessive algae growth. Thank you

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lights? When are you planning on adding corals?
2 Red Sea Reef LED 90's. Corals: I am going to add a couple softies as soon as the tank (and myself) is ready to give them the best chance to stay healthy and grow.

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you can turn them on just to enjoy the tank as it is. They don't need to be super high just enough to enjoy. The fish will be fine if they are off though. If algae does start to grow like crazy (which I doubt as long as you feed light) then you can just turn them off and kill it out. At the end of the day you will have algae growth if you turn on the lights now or later just keep it managed.

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you can turn them on just to enjoy the tank as it is. They don't need to be super high just enough to enjoy. The fish will be fine if they are off though. If algae does start to grow like crazy (which I doubt as long as you feed light) then you can just turn them off and kill it out. At the end of the day you will have algae growth if you turn on the lights now or later just keep it managed.
Awesome, thank you for your help.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back