When will my coral open?

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F4E507C0-845C-4754-B04E-F4A060BDDBDC.jpeg
So I just got my first coral and 1 polyp seems to be kinda open, I added it 10 minutes ago, how long should I wait? (It’s a Duncan)

OP
OP
TheOneWhoIsThere

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time to settle in. What type of flow and lighting do you have it set in?
I have an AI prime with about 46watt on, but 40% off for acclimation. 425 power head, the filter is 125 and it is in a 20gal.

Donavon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, Duncan’s will close up with inadequate flow, and high nutrients.
If it’s only been in the tank a few hours, just be patient it may wait until tomorrow to open up fully

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals are much slower to settle in and open up. I've found Duncans can even take a day or two. Some leathers can take a week or more before they put out polyps. The slowest I've ever experienced is a Blue Ridge coral, it took several weeks and even then only puts out polyps occasionally!

SurfLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F4E507C0-845C-4754-B04E-F4A060BDDBDC.jpeg
So I just got my first coral and 1 polyp seems to be kinda open, I added it 10 minutes ago, how long should I wait? (It’s a Duncan)

I got a frag that looks almost exactly like yours about a year ago. It was shy for about a week or so. Mine likes a lot of flow and low in the tank. It did not grow real fast for the first few months but recently it has been growing new polyps(?) and looks to be around 7-8 of them. It seems to a very tolerant coral as far as movement and small parameter swings. When it is disturbed significantly(touched) it will close up for hours to a day before opening back up, but it ALWAYS does. It has been a long time since its been bothered but I remember being concerned when it would stay closed for a while, so I am pretty excited to see it multiplying.
Yours looks perfectly healthy. It is what mine looked like in the morning when the lights just come on. I agree with the others, give it a bit more time.
Also, they seem to love mysis. When they are fully opened, I feed all the poylps/heads(?) and they respond well.

OP
OP
TheOneWhoIsThere

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ended up opening up about 30 minutes afterward, but not all the way. I moved it too another spot and now it is fully open.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back