When you lose a longtime favorite fish, do you any ritual or minor ceremony?

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok......NO TOILET FLUSHING JOKES OR WALK OF SHAME TO THE TRASHCAN

When you lose a longtime favorite fish, do you any ritual or minor ceremony?

Curious about how we all react to a loss

I'm the desert, so I find a random yucca to bury them. That being said, it's been a few years thankfully!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my tank I thought I guess if nothing else my kids will learn about death. Have 3, 7 and 10 year old daughters. We lost a bunch at first with bad mistakes I shouldn’t have made. But the last one who died was the worst. It’s been a while since I’ve finally learned how to really keep a tank. My 7 year old loved him. Fairy wrasse jumped out when I had lid off for like 5 minutes to do something. We couldn’t find it for 4 days and thought it just died and was eaten by CUC. I found it eventually on the floor. She cried so much. Fish’s name was sushiana. I don’t do anything special with the fish but do talk to my daughter about why it died and what we can do to do better for them.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be quite the confusing discovery for a future archaeologist lol
Before saltwater I had a Discus freshwater tank. I believe just about every Discus that died, I buried in a particular spot in my backyard.

I did actually think years ago,

"If in a 1000 years, some archeologist finds Discus remains in Ohio from a fish that's native to the South America Amazon River, he'd be like 'what da freak?'"

Rotfl.... maybe my property will be on The Discovery Channel in the year, 3021.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before saltwater I had a Discus freshwater tank. I believe just about every Discus that died, I buried in a particular spot in my backyard.

I did actually think years ago,

"If in a 1000 years, some archeologist finds Discus remains in Ohio from a fish that's native to the South America Amazon River, he'd be like 'what da freak?'"

Rotfl.... maybe my property will be on The Discovery Channel in the year, 3021.

the scary thing for me is that a snowflake eel in socal just means he took a really far trip which could be plausible lol

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only a few of my fish throughout the years have earned the status of being truly special. Hate to say that, I love all of my fish, but some mean a little bit more to me.

I started with freshwater so my oldest fish are freshwater fish. Sgt. Pepper was my first and oldest fish, a leopard bush fish. He was 16 years old and HUGE and fat when he died. He got a proper burial service, buried in the backyard with a gravestone LOL. I have two other extra special oldies in my FW tanks - Oscar, a maingano cichlid who is 8, and Kumquat, some type of orange tropheus that is also 8. I will probably bury them as well.

In my saltwater tank, my copperband Albert is the love of my life. I’ve only had him 8 months.. but he’s earned that status as well somehow lol

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fav clownfish, my first saltwater fish, fot murdered by my pistol shrimp after she was sad because her boyfriend was also murdered. I flushed her and then cried for like an hour. I had trained her from drawing blood to eating out of my hand :(

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is reserved for special older fish that are 9-10yrs+

my wife is a vet. In the vet business they make plaster paw prints for the owners. So she will use the plaster and draw a picture of the fish with the fishes name. Then we bury the fish in the backyard.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my mandarin, who I actually only had for 2-3 months. :( Netted her out, place her in the toilet, said a prayer, and flushed. RIP.

Back