When you purchase gear what do you intend to get from it longevity wise ?

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a reefer since 2007 with all the new technologies and YouTube channels reefing has never been better for beginners and advanced hobbiest. The point of this post is not to bash any company or mention any company names what I would like to know is when purchasing your gear rather you get the cheap of cheap equipment or you purchase the supposed best of the best what would you believe is a fair lifespan of let’s say a cheap 100 pump verse a 500 pump both same gph output , do you by the higher end equipment for the features or do you buy the higher end equipment for reliability? I just used a pump as a example but I am applying this to all equipment. As my opinion is I buy the top of the line on critical life support equipment for reliability as one phrase I hate hearing is well this is hobby grade equipment and when I hear this I ask myself do you really want to count on hobby grade equipment to keep thousands up thousands of marine life alive ? Part of this post is a trend I have noticed in the past maybe two years where major money and marketing is replacing good old fashioned reliability in some of the most basic equipment that is life or death to animals . What are some of my fellow reefer thoughts on this ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s pretty adequate . And completely expected from the better of the brands .
I think I'll get more than that with some of the brands provided I perform regular maintenance, ie: Sicce, Nyos, etc. Radions I'm hoping for a minimum of 5 years.

OP
OP
Richard baker

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll get more than that with some of the brands provided I perform regular maintenance, ie: Sicce, Nyos, etc. Radions I'm hoping for a minimum of 5 years.
I can vouch for the gen 4 pros I’ve had 6 running since 2017 I take them apart once a year and clean them and never had a issue

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can say that I have bought on both ends of the spectrum. I have been reefing for a while so I started initially on the cheap side of things. This was basically due to their not being any expensive choices that I knew of in the hobby at that time.

Example. For pumps that were reliable internal it was mag. For external it was iwaki or reeflo. I guess you could say that was the expensive stuff. Some cheaper stuff came out that me and other refers tried that usually broke and caused more headaches than anything.

for lighting you could get cheap power compacting anywhere. Mh on high end. When expensive choices started to come out. I avoided them due to I was comfortable in price range iwas used to.

i quickly learned that some new products lasted longer and used less power and i flocked to some of those brands for that reason.

I will pay more for longevity/reliability and good customer service. I don't necessarily look for the most expensive. You don't have to start a mortgage to find good products. I like to stay in the middle sort of speak on some things if I can. I have learned the hard way.

It's best to have good equipment to protect your babies.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability trumps features every time. Some of the most popular gear is the most expensive, and the reliability is shockingly poor based on the volume of complaints everywhere.

For return pumps and controllers, honestly if I can get 10 years I’m happy. Any less is frustrating. My original apex lasted 10 years before I sold it, and it is still functioning as far as I am aware.

All other electrical devices are fairly cheaply made compared to many commercial grade alternatives. 5 years is about what I hope for. Most people jump to new generations before letting gear wear out.

For non-electrical stuff, I hope for it to last indefinitely. Reactor canisters, rodi housings, ect should have no reason to break unless they’re mishandled. It’s just plastic and acrylic that sits there with no moving parts. Without UV damage, they shouldn’t break down really

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both. I have Tunze powerheads that are 15 years old and still running strong.
I have jeabos still running strong after 3 years. So its very subjective.
However I would have no issue and have purchased used Tunze that are still running. I would not do the same for the cheaper models as you are not saving much as compaired to the higher end models.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability first.

My Tunze ATO is 7 years old and so is my Eheim return pump. Both in use continuously. The Eheim was actually bought used so no idea how old it could be.

I went with Tunze powerheads because… reliable… also power houses

ATI sunpower because… all parts are replaceable. T5s also work fantastic.

Id like to upgrade to a large acrylic tank someday. Again… long lasting… scratches can be removed… I would consider a custom glass tank though with armored seams and eurobrace and all that. Has to be tough for custom pricing. No Red Sea for me ;)

I want at least 10 years out of stuff.

Filling the landfill is a shame.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
5-7+ years on the high-end stuff. I'll be disappointed if the Abyzz doesn't make it past its warranty.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Reliability first.

My Tunze ATO is 7 years old and so is my Eheim return pump. Both in use continuously. The Eheim was actually bought used so no idea how old it could be.

I went with Tunze powerheads because… reliable… also power houses

ATI sunpower because… all parts are replaceable. T5s also work fantastic.

Id like to upgrade to a large acrylic tank someday. Again… long lasting… scratches can be removed… I would consider a custom glass tank though with armored seams and eurobrace and all that. Has to be tough for custom pricing. No Red Sea for me ;)

I want at least 10 years out of stuff.

Filling the landfill is a shame.

Agreed on all points.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back