When your wife Hates Wrasses. Whats your go to for smaller reef safe fish ( 72 gallon)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t have experience with dwarf angels and clams together so I don’t wanna say anything on that. Honestly with Leopard Wrasses I would much rather buy one at an LFS because shipping can cause them to not eat. I wouldn’t be concerned with a normal leopard wrasse but once you move to Potters and some of the more exotic ones shipping can be an issue
I usually order through online vendors as its easier to get what we actually want before someone else scarfs it up. TSM, LA Divers den etc. I love leopard wrasses, and LA divers den has them often. Just was not sure on them, as ive had one before from LFS, and it swam for 45 minutes, found sand bed, and nevr came out...

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually order through online vendors as its easier to get what we actually want before someone else scarfs it up. TSM, LA Divers den etc. I love leopard wrasses, and LA divers den has them often. Just was not sure on them, as ive had one before from LFS, and it swam for 45 minutes, found sand bed, and nevr came out...
The key when buying from LFS is to make sure it eats. Personally I probably wouldn’t hesitate to buy from Divers Den but I would prefer LFS. Obviously it’s not available for everyone though. As long as you get a fat and healthy fish I wouldn’t worry too much. I had a tiny potters wrasse bury itself for a couple of weeks and then it magically appeared

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key when buying from LFS is to make sure it eats. Personally I probably wouldn’t hesitate to buy from Divers Den but I would prefer LFS. Obviously it’s not available for everyone though. As long as you get a fat and healthy fish I wouldn’t worry too much. I had a tiny potters wrasse bury itself for a couple of weeks and then it magically appeared
At least with Divers den, i get a bit of a warranty, and they at least ship it eating normal foods, with pellets, and frozen. Had great luck with other fish. Its just an idea. we know we at least want the zebras and the hawk, but i feel like it needs something else too. Was going to do anthias, but the lyretails get a bit too big, and i already have the chromis, and will have the darts.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least with Divers den, i get a bit of a warranty, and they at least ship it eating normal foods, with pellets, and frozen. Had great luck with other fish. Its just an idea. we know we at least want the zebras and the hawk, but i feel like it needs something else too. Was going to do anthias, but the lyretails get a bit too big, and i already have the chromis, and will have the darts.
Definitely need a more active swimmer! The Leopards are very graceful. Another option could be a yellow candy hogfish. They tend to be invert safe

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need a more active swimmer! The Leopards are very graceful. Another option could be a yellow candy hogfish. They tend to be invert safe
Currently we have

6 carribian blue reef chromis
2 captive bred kaudern cardinals
2sanjay photon clownfish
One spot foxface (likely that centerpiece fish and one of my favorites)
Bi color Blenny.

Wife wants the dartfish, and it's not a tank without a hawk. Just need other active swimmer.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we have

6 carribian blue reef chromis
2 captive bred kaudern cardinals
2sanjay photon clownfish
One spot foxface (likely that centerpiece fish and one of my favorites)
Bi color Blenny.

Wife wants the dartfish, and it's not a tank without a hawk. Just need other active swimmer.
Seems like Leopard Wrasse is the answer. You got yellow covered already. I know for me it would be flame Angel but you mentioned you’re worried about the clam. I’d see if you can find any other testimonials for certain dwarf angels with a clam. I know I’ve been able to deter nipping of coral when feeding heavier

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like Leopard Wrasse is the answer. You got yellow covered already. I know for me it would be flame Angel but you mentioned you’re worried about the clam. I’d see if you can find any other testimonials for certain dwarf angels with a clam. I know I’ve been able to deter nipping of coral when feeding heavier
I hope to have a clam. Ive had em in other systems, but no dwarfs. I was considering a captive bred coral beauty, as i figured its captive, it doesnt know what coral is. My wife would love love love a flame, but im to scared of it eating acans, brains, clams etc. We have high taste in acans...

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a fang blenny?

Any variety.

They're:
  • Bold (e.g. inquisitive and not easily frightened), always out and about throughout the water column. Pretty much reef safe - no threat to corals or anything else except perhaps amphipods
  • And get along well with just about any fish except, in some instances, other fang blennies (this depends on the type of fang blenny and tank size)
  • They even tend to get along fine with non-fang blennies, so shouldn't be much risk of any problems with your bi-color

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to have a clam. Ive had em in other systems, but no dwarfs. I was considering a captive bred coral beauty, as i figured its captive, it doesnt know what coral is. My wife would love love love a flame, but im to scared of it eating acans, brains, clams etc. We have high taste in acans...
Captive bred could be worth a shot. If you feed heavy I probably wouldn’t worry about the LPS. It’s always a risk though. I’ve had several different angels and the only one that gave me trouble was a goldflake and that was with SPS

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a fang blenny?

Any variety.

They're:
  • Bold (e.g. inquisitive and not easily frightened), always out and about throughout the water column. Pretty much reef safe - no threat to corals or anything else except perhaps amphipods
  • And get along well with just about any fish except, in some instances, other fang blennies (this depends on the type of fang blenny and tank size)
  • They even tend to get along fine with non-fang blennies, so shouldn't be much risk of any problems with your bi-color
any fang blenny reccomendation? they dont swim like an eel do they?

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred could be worth a shot. If you feed heavy I probably wouldn’t worry about the LPS. It’s always a risk though. I’ve had several different angels and the only one that gave me trouble was a goldflake and that was with SPS
This will be a mix. LPS heavy, clams and choice SPS.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any fang blenny reccomendation? they dont swim like an eel do they?
Depends on what color(s) you like most. Some are pure yellow, white with yellow tail, pale lime green, blue front with yellow tail, white with horizontal black stripes, black with horizontal white stripes, all white with a long black dorsal fin.

Head over to LiveAquaria and check out all the Meiacanthus blennies to get a idea of the variety.

I've had a tongaensis, nigrolineatus, and smithii and they were all great fish.

As for swimming, no not like an eel.

Here's a short vid of one of the two smithii I have right now in my 65g: (can't get the video to load properly so I put it on YouTube, here's the link...)

smithii blenny swimming

Had 3, named them after the stooges because of their periodic, slightly comically hierarchical bickering and posturing (never anything serious, just some occasional chasing back and forth) ... but lost one during a tank move.

Attachments

• IMG_8081.MOV
    71.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what color(s) you like most. Some are pure yellow, white with yellow tail, pale lime green, blue front with yellow tail, white with horizontal black stripes, black with horizontal white stripes, all white with a long black dorsal fin.

Head over to LiveAquaria and check out all the Meiacanthus blennies to get a idea of the variety.

I've had a tongaensis, nigrolineatus, and smithii and they were all great fish.

As for swimming, no not like an eel.

Here's a short vid of one of the two smithii I have right now in my 65g:

Had 3, named them after the stooges because of their periodic, slightly comically hierarchical bickering and posturing (never anything serious, just some occasional chasing back and forth) ... but lost one during a tank move.
That was my next question, can you keep multiples?

I was considering the last fish to be:

3 zebra barred dartfish
3 court jesters
Flame hawkfish

Now i decided against court jesters, as i was afraid they would hide, so im looking for a replacement for those 3.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my next question, can you keep multiples?

I was considering the last fish to be:

3 zebra barred dartfish
3 court jesters
Flame hawkfish

Now i decided against court jesters, as i was afraid they would hide, so im looking for a replacement for those 3.
For multiples, it depends on the type of fang blenny. My 3 ... now 2 ... smithii do fine together. Three of the two used to be out and about with the third only about from it's hole occasionally (keeps its head poked out all the time though). But I lost one of the two more active ones in the move.

I've also seen threads here and there on people who've kept multiple kamoharas and multiple grammistes. Also saw a post or two that multiple oualanensis (canaries) do NOT work out.

As for one each of different fang blennies, it depends here too...

I had a nigrolineatus (blackline) in the 65g with the two smithii and they got along fine. But I haven't tried mixing others. You'd have to do some digging here and on other forums to see what mixes other people have had success with.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For multiples, it depends on the type of fang blenny. My 3 ... now 2 ... smithii do fine together. Three of the two used to be out and about with the third only about from it's hole occasionally (keeps its head poked out all the time though). But I lost one of the two more active ones in the move.

I've also seen threads here and there on people who've kept multiple kamoharas and multiple grammistes. Also saw a post or two that multiple oualanensis (canaries) do NOT work out.

As for one each of different fang blennies, it depends here too...

I had a nigrolineatus (blackline) in the 65g with the two smithii and they got along fine. But I haven't tried mixing others. You'd have to do some digging here and on other forums to see what mixes other people have had success with.
Likely best to buy a pair or bonded group then eh? I see them in divers den on occasion.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO weve got fish in the tank, will be adding more down the line. Hawkfish will be last for many reasons, however were thinking other smaller fish to zoom around. My go to would be 2 or 3 fairy wrasses, but i need other ideas.

Current stock is:

Pair of clowns
Small One Spot Foxface
Bi Color Blenny
2 Captive Bred Kaudrens Cardinalfish
a few reef chromis.

WIll be adding a flame hawk, and we like the looks of the zebra barred darts too, but what else would you suggest... My wife is super into the hobby, so we want the most color we can get.
How big is your tank? The most color, show her these pictures. If she want color, these are the most colorful fishes in the ocean. This will change her mind about wrasses.
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg
BlueFlasher2019052801.jpg
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg
ChinaWrasse2020121704Male.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019052802.jpg
ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019062401.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Maleresized.jpg
Flameback2020102801Maleresized.jpg
Flameback2020102808FemaleResized.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016080801.jpg
LubbockFairyA2019052301.jpg
Mandarin2019010607E.jpg
McCosker2019070701.jpg
McCoskeri2018051501.jpg
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020062101 - Copy.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020090504Male.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
NaokoFairy2019101301.jpg
P attenuatus2020050903L.jpg
P attenuatus2020061407.jpg
PintailFairly2020030501.jpg
RadiantWrasse2020121005.jpg
RedFinFairy2020033004M.jpg
RegalFlame2019100901.jpg
SolonFairy2019061602a.jpg
YellowfinFlasher2018071602.jpg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? The most color, show her these pictures. If she want color, these are the most colorful fishes in the ocean. This will change her mind about wrasses.
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg
BlueFlasher2019052801.jpg
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg
ChinaWrasse2020121704Male.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019052802.jpg
ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019062401.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Maleresized.jpg
Flameback2020102801Maleresized.jpg
Flameback2020102808FemaleResized.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016080801.jpg
LubbockFairyA2019052301.jpg
Mandarin2019010607E.jpg
McCosker2019070701.jpg
McCoskeri2018051501.jpg
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg
MelanurusWrasse2020062101 - Copy.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020090504Male.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
NaokoFairy2019101301.jpg
P attenuatus2020050903L.jpg
P attenuatus2020061407.jpg
PintailFairly2020030501.jpg
RadiantWrasse2020121005.jpg
RedFinFairy2020033004M.jpg
RegalFlame2019100901.jpg
SolonFairy2019061602a.jpg
YellowfinFlasher2018071602.jpg
72. She wanted a flame... Ive heard horror stories, so I'll likely go with a coral beauty.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back