When you've reached your LAST option; pulling the LR out of the tank

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos, cynos, algae of all kinds. I've tried all kinds of methods to resolve issues with all LR in place in the tank bc of NOT wanting to re-aquascape.

But sometimes the heck with aquascaping, you've gotta get the LR out of the tank so you can surgically work on the problem.

I recently decided to do this and here's how it went:

I have bowling ball sized LR in my 6ft 180g so pulling them was not smthg I wanted to do but with turf algae embedded into the pores of the LR like cancer, I saw no other option than quiting the hobby.

Accepting the mild re-aquascape, I pulled every LR as my final option after 6+ mos of frustration "in-tank" treatments.

I pulled only one LR at a time laying the LR on an old bathtowel on a work table. I kept the corals happy by squirting SW from the tank on them every 5mins to keep them WET.

I went to the $1 store and grabbed TWO small spraybottles that were DIFFERENT in COLOR from their "Beauty Isle ". One loaded with SW in one colored bottle. The other loaded with fully concentrated H2O2. H2O2 is cheap.

Exposed areas of LR where there were no corals but nuisance matter...I treated by spraying H2O2 in a surgical manner...not allowing H2O2 drips and flows to touch corals. It's a lot easier than it sounds with a papertowels in hands and a very good small handheld spraybottle. My technique was to spray H2O2, manage overspray and potential rivers/flow, then scrub area with old toothbrush. It's kinda cool to watch the area bubble up with the H2O2 actively oxygenating the area. I WORKED IN SMALL AREAS AT A TIME. I would concentrate on 2inx2in sections.

Not one of my corals died... some LR I had out of the water for 30mins working on them. Key was to spray corals with SW and keep them wet.

HTHs someone who has reached their last option before giving up.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long since you did this, and you had zero losses from being out of the water?

I’m battling 3 different things right now. I’ve thought about pulling out 120lb Of rock and bleaching it. I only have a few coral right now, but a bunch in qt waiting to be placed

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had this situation I'd add a small army of urchins to the tank (tuxedo and halloween are both fantastic). I'd suggest 1 or more urchins per 20 gallons as a rule of thumb. Buy them as small as you can find them. Urchins not only eat hair algae but they scrape off a tiny layer of the rock along with it. Rocks will stay clean in every accessible area.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you worried about killing off to much beneficial bacteria?
Not really bc my DT is 180 but I have a 100g sump full of good bacteria.

After the process, I did a full bottle of DrTims WasteAway that I'm sure buffered any potential problems.

Good point though!!! I would highly recommend on SMALL TANKS to maybe only pull one LR per week

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had this situation I'd add a small army of urchins to the tank (tuxedo and halloween are both fantastic). I'd suggest 1 or more urchins per 20 gallons as a rule of thumb. Buy them as small as you can find them. Urchins not only eat hair algae but they scrape off a tiny layer of the rock along with it. Rocks will stay clean in every accessible area.
I’ve had 7 urchins of two species in my 180 and they only ate diatoms of the glass. They never touched anything on the rocks, except for a bit of GHA on one rock about 4 months ago

They also left a bunch of little triangle bite marks in the glass.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really bc my DT is 180 but I have a 100g sump full of good bacteria.

After the process, I did a full bottle of DrTims WasteAway that I'm sure buffered any potential problems.

Good point though!!! I would highly recommend on SMALL TANKS to maybe only pull one LR per week
What substrate do you have in your sump?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Urchins too.

Until they Roomba'ed over $20/polyp zoas and ate them. I personally watched an urchin go over a 5polyp cluster of Rastas and on the back end 30mins later nothing but bare LR. No mistaking bc I sat there the whole 30mins drinking my Coke Zero as a captive audience

I think I invented some new cuss words at the 30min mark where there were zippo rastas left.... lol

That was an $100 lunch I picked the tab up for.

Anyone claiming on any reef board urchins dont eat zoas is misinformed

But!!! Urchins in non zoas tank are awesome

Last edited:

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 7 urchins of two species in my 180 and they only ate diatoms of the glass. They never touched anything on the rocks, except for a bit of GHA on one rock about 4 months ago

They also left a bunch of little triangle bite marks in the glass.

Your tank must have been acrylic... they're safe on glass but yes they will mark acrylic.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones making the marks are purple short spines

Almost impossible to get a pic, but I stopped counting at 40 last time I cleaned the glass. And they are definitely on the inside. I literally watched one do it one time too. I was surprised too

7EAA515C-F804-4AFD-8401-EC897D7BD61C.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually took the beak of a deceased urchin and was able to scratch the glass on a broken 10g... should have posted that up

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That IS crazy! Not sure what type the purple short spine urchin is.

I can speak from years of experience that tuxedo and Halloween urchins don't harm glass... yes they will scratch acrylic, but not glass.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer the title of this thread as an interesting question: should this be the last or very first option?

It seems to me with the absolutely rampant GHA infestations still going on, common approaches are giving predictable results. Maybe we should set our tanks for full access hand gardening until lucky arrangements make us not have to do that

the way we can tell nobody really has great command over GHA is most of the places we get our advice are not from work threads involving curing other people's tanks. They're recommendations of what worked for the poster, in their unique circumstance and ability.
fluconazole holds a claim to being able to produce work thread results, its a valid option.

so does peroxide

What works to cure GHA from others tanks, in work threads, is very different than common means.

a big factor in GHA issues: the advice to purposefully wreck ones tank with it when the tank is new. let it turn into a lush forest, then undo in hesitant little increments over the coming months. we're all using data designed to promulgate invasions.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not to hijack your thread, but I have a purple short spine urchin in my tank......guess I'll be breaking out the magnifying glass tonight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back