When's the last time you fragged a coral and why did you do it?

What's the biggest reason why you personally frag corals?

• Overgrown Coral

Votes: 125 45.1%
  • Coral touching other corals

Votes: 41 14.8%
  • Trying to save a receding or dying coral

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • For the purpose to trade coral

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • For the purpose to sell coral

Votes: 32 11.6%
  • For the purpose to give frags away for free

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 7.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Monday Coral Fraggers!

This week we're going to be discussing topics pertaining to frag tanks, fragging corals etc. A "frag" is a word used for a coral fragment. Coral frags are small pieces of the original mother coral colony. When you frag coral, you’re cutting, breaking, sub-dividing a coral colony. I thought we could kick it off today by talking about coral fragging and when the last time you fragged corals were and why you did it! Would love to hear your feedback on this topic!

1. When is the last time you "fragged" a coral for any reason?

2. What's the biggest reason why you personally frag corals?

image via @Bulk Reef Supply
8-10-21-spsfragging-3.JPG

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely because its overgrown! my red monti cap is single handedly trying to take over the tank, and has already claimed a near quarter of it!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overgrown Coral has to be my choice

This is half the colony I had. The monti had begun to shade lower corals and also block flow from circulating the top of the reef. This entire lot was given away to local hobbyist for free.
PXL_20220210_161719105.MP.jpg

This was what was left after the fragging.
PXL_20220210_194450441.jpg

I have never considered selling anything from my tank. I do consider the idea of opening a shop for aquariums in general. closest LFS is 2 hour round trip. Nothing too crazy.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose other, because the absolute number 1 reason my corals get fragged is because I'm fricking clumsy.

99% of the time it's cause I dropped something in the tank or my arm bumped a coral while I was trying to turn a snail over or something.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty new to this, so I haven’t had the issue of overgrowing or corals touching other corals, but I think those are certainly valid reasons. That said the only fraging I’ve done was to have more coral/share coral between tanks. In the future I would love to have enough coral to trade, sell, or giveaway, but I’m not there. . . Yet!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
other: all of the above.

although i have never fragged a softy before, i have only fragged SPS/LPS due to various reasons (over grown, receding, making my $$ back, or trading.)

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we could have chosen all that apply. I chose other because I frag in order to "back up" my favorite corals (pretty much every coral I keep). This way if a coral RTNs on me I have a frag standing by.

I would also consider fragging a coral to trade with others. Coral touching other coral of course is no bueno so that is another reason to frag. If a coral is STNing I would frag any parts that are still healthy but they'd go right in a hospital tank.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day I would frag and sell to local fish stores to keep the expense of the hobby at a minimum. While doing routine maintenance yesterday I bumped into my cali tort and broke a 3" chunk off. Opps I guess Im fragging again. LOL

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had large colonies of brittle Digita and Birdsnests that would break off because of fish running into them of me being clumsy. I'd make single frags out multiple broken pieces, let them heal to form a decent colony, and sell them cheap or trade them locally, or move them to another spot in the tank to start a new colony.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I'm not the only "clumsy" reefer. I have a ton of frags of birds nest and digita to give away. Most times, I bump corals when my staghorn damsels attack my hands and startle me. I should be used to it by now! A 2nd choice for me would be corals touching each other and I do have 2 groups touching but as they aren't harming each other, I'll leave them: stylophora & digita and a deep water acro & birds nest.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not currently, my tank is just over 9 months old but the tank i had for sixteen years, before I broke it down, i was constantly fragging to maintain real estate. I had a frogspawn I had to frag dozens of times. All given to frinds.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I think 2 days ago haha. I probably cut a few frags out every week.

2. First 3 reasons mainly. Overgrown, touching others, and i also frag when trying to save a sick coral. I do sell zoas that i frag for money but if i didnt frag them they would overgrow quickly.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 reason is to avoid loosing a coral due to warfare. I usually cut corals to avoid one from touching another, but in reality....I should have trimmed it long before then. Sometimes I find myself having to cut 2 corals apart. When this happens, for some reason there is a high probability that one of the colonies will STN after you separate them. So I guess you could say husbandry as well.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised there isn’t an option to select titled “promote growth”.
I watched a tutorial not long ago of an aquarist who claims she frags all the time to promote growth.
I didn’t think much of it until part of my aquascape collapsed two months ago and chipped a few of my frags. Without exception, every one of the frags that chipped are showing major growth in/around the damaged areas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back