Where are the reef-ready lagoons and peninsulas?

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've been eyeing tanks for a future upgrade, I've noticed there's a real lack of diversity in tanks around the 50-80 gallon range. It seems most of what is available is cubes or the standard rectangle. I can't find any peninsula tanks in this range that are "reef-ready" or designed with a sump in mind.

Additionally, a lot of the tank dimensions feel unimaginative. A peninsula design is not a one-size-fits all. For example, the display tank at Fragbox corals is almost a hybrid of a peninsula and lagoon style tank which I haven't seen replicated by any manufacturer. The dimensions of their tank seems to offer interesting possibilities for aquascaping.

Its no wonder that the hobby feels so gear-oriented when all we have is the same "canvas" year after year. Am I the only one that's tired of the standard tank dimensions?

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into Waterbox, they have peninsula tanks in small AIO sizes and larger ones 80gal and up.
Waterbox has a couple AIO peninsulas in this range, but trying to manage a non-nano aquarium with the equipment limitations of a peninsula's AIO compartment seems like a no-go.

Also, trying to mount the powerheads on the back wall necessary for a peninsula tank, while having to work around the AIO compartments makes having a SPS tank pretty difficult. Vortechs become pretty much out of the question.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back