Where are y'all getting your money from?

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady throw a few bucks in savings here and there. I had a 180g that I probably had about $5k-6k in to it. Had a house fire now got a 210 that my insurance company bought for me they spent $18k. I did my 180 over time. It all just depends on if you want new or used can you wait or need it now.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I get it. Be a doctor/lawyer/engineer/software engineer, and make the big bucks to be able to send your kids to Ivy Leagues, have a nice car, AND get an awesome fish tank or 10 out of it.

But for the all of the 5 figure and under people (let's say the cutoff is 85K), how are you doing it? Do you just like...not have kids or something? Is there a trick to all the splurging you're able to do? Are there a bunch of low cost of living areas that I'm just not aware of/don't want to move to?

I keep seeing "I just bought this 200/300/1600 gallon [RedSea/Waterbox/expensive brand] aquarium and what do I do with it" posts, and I'm just...confused...do you just have this money lying around??

I guess I'm mostly just asking because my estimated yearly earnings is currently somewhere at around 40K in a high cost of living area once the job hiring starts again. Which means very little disposable income (bye bye avocado toast, I'll miss you, but aquariums gotta aquarium).
The entry to a tank is the pricey part.. (if you choose.) The upkeep is cheap, the corals are cheap (If you're not looking for WWC PSYCHORAINBOWFUSCHIABREAKER Torch). Plenty of 5-30 dollars corals that look great. So you spend a bit for the initial setup.. then it's no more than skipping a ordering out one week to buy supplies/corals, again.. if you choose. I was in no rush and spent a year collecting my setup. It's pricey even for a small tank but rushing is a terrible thing to do in this hobby.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overtime side jobs and tips is how I paid for my 210. Not to mention used off of craigslist. Everything i spend on my tank is from the above 3 never from my normal pay. I also don’t buy anything over 80$ that’s my max when it comes to fish and 20 on coral. Just cant justify spending more and to lose it would be crushing.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until now I have been doing without. I saved up 20k in cash to buy my current car, took five years. All other extra money went to my mortgage , I think I have 5 years left if even that. When something breaks I fix it, including the two cars. I have never taken a car to a mechanic, nor let anyone change my oil. About the only thing I cannot do is roof a house. I even fixed the AC units to the house until the evaporators started leaking. I have three kids and girlfriend but we manage. This current tank was me splurging because the last 10 years have been doing without. It was not fun the last 10 years doing without but I really want to retire before I get too old to enjoy it, but this is my "boat" or "muscle car". I also do side gigs regarding computer work at $65-$85 an hour but I do not get those often enough.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex Military, Ex Network Admin, Ex Auto plant worker, Ex Gov worker ....
Now I’m all broke up, can’t walk, play with fish and live off the wife’s hard work...
Waiting for SSN if they show mercy ...
We live well enough to waste $$ on frivolities ...God Bless America

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on this.
I don't understand how people can afford to run multiple systems, all high end setups and not have to somehow live in the aquariums, lol I know if I was to do a full redsea or waterbox setup, I'd be more broke than the guys at the homeless shelter.... especially if I try to set it up as per BRS. I just don't understand it....but if you can and are able to, all the power to you.
I guess I really shouldn't say I don't understand it, as I've noticed in lots of tank builds, the houses these are going into are big expensive houses, which tells me there's big bucks rolling through the doors of those homes.
I just saw a build page yesterday, I counted about $15,000+ in (3) powerheads, apex/trident systems, big expensive glass box, multiple (3) kessle lights, with controllers and brackets, RODI, mixing station (2)55 gallon containers, fish room that is set up better than most LFS. brand new setup obviously...or it just looks that way.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never count other people's money. You may see these awesome builds in these awesome houses but that is why they also have time to post all day long. You also are seeing a great tank but it is in a small place and that person is thrilled and living a happy life.

Can't count how many times I see people driving really nice expensive cars but live in a small apartment or a smaller house.. It is what is important to them.

Things that are earned are appreciated more than things that are given.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing someone buy a huge tank second hand on a whim certainly does seem like the person much just have money laying around, but isn't always the case. It's just a matter of how people like to spend what spare money they do have (some have more than others obviously). Personally, I have always had a habit of diving head first into my hobbies, but have only ever had one hobby at a time. for a few years in High School I was really into paintball (expensive hobby) and would slowly accumulate better and better equipment maybe $100-$200/month at a time with every penny of free money I could save. This was working part time, but with no expenses other than a payment on a used car. Fast forward 15ish years, and I'm making pretty good money (not 6 figures yet, but decent engineer money) but also have a house, stay at home wife, 2 kids, 2 cars, student loans, medical bills, and all of the expenses that come with all of that like insurance, food, internet, phone bills...etc. All said and done...I had more "spending money" when I was working minimum wage part time in high school. And yet, I have a 300 gallon system packed with coral and growing. How might I do this with expendable income of <$100/month? Strict budgeting, saving, frugal spending on used equipment, and not having any other hobbies to sink my money into. My hobby money has always been hobby money, so when I sell something hobby related, it goes back into my hobby fund unless I absolutely needed it to pay bills. So over the last 15 years of this, I've slowly but surely accumulated my "hobby net worth" maybe averaging $50/month for the last 15 years or so.

If you want to have more money for your hobby(s), the real trick is to reduce spending everywhere else you can. When you get a new job or promotion, don't buy a new car or upgrade to a better house/apartment. don't eat out more, or anything that would have a higher monthly cost than what you have now. Then you will be able to use the additional cash on your hobbys and build up to a large tank much quicker. Live BELOW your means, not just within it.

I am still kicking myself years later for not snatching up a 700 gallon tank (10'x4'x3') when I had the chance, but didn't quite have enough spending money to do so. Would have likely taken a few years to get all of the equipment I needed to actually start the tank, but it was for sale for about $1,000 and I've never seen a deal like it since. Of course, in this hobby, the tank is the cheap part...

Sorry for rambling on...

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the original purpose of the OP Post.

It's frustrating when you see these beautiful RedSea Reefer 600XL set ups. And you do the quick math and know that person with their full Apex Trident system, and their 6 Wave Makers, and 8 Radon's they must've just dropped about $10,000 - $12,000.

It's really all about budgeting and what you spend your money on.

I think some people probably use credit to get some of these larger tanks. I don't think a lot of these larger build's are purchased just with 10-20K just lying around.

If you have good credit, you could easily pay off a $15,000 tank at $300 a month over 5-6 years (simple interest calculations)

That'd be worth it for me for a tank.

I think you could probably set up and fully stock a really nice tank for about $15,000 and if you spend $300 a month over 6 years, it's better than maybe bit and piecing it and spending $200 a month here and there for things you dont really need.

Otherwise if you don't have good credit, then just save up I guess.

Realize instead of being Muscle Car Heads, or any other hobby, most of those guys dedicate their full hobby to saltwater.

I'm kind of a toe dipper, and I have my feet in several hobbies. I'm out of toes.

But I go in deep enough to feel the money burn for sure.

I bought a JBJ45 for $800 and thought I got a great deal until I've added up all the gear I've spent now upgrading it. Now I gotta spend IDK how much to really stock it with coral ;_;

It's always push and pull. :p

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense meant, but, I don't think it's anyone else's business where and how I get my money and also, I don't think it's anyone else's business as to what I spend my money on... If you don't like your job, apply for a new one...

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I get it. Be a doctor/lawyer/engineer/software engineer, and make the big bucks to be able to send your kids to Ivy Leagues, have a nice car, AND get an awesome fish tank or 10 out of it.

But for the all of the 5 figure and under people (let's say the cutoff is 85K), how are you doing it? Do you just like...not have kids or something? Is there a trick to all the splurging you're able to do? Are there a bunch of low cost of living areas that I'm just not aware of/don't want to move to?

I keep seeing "I just bought this 200/300/1600 gallon [RedSea/Waterbox/expensive brand] aquarium and what do I do with it" posts, and I'm just...confused...do you just have this money lying around??

I guess I'm mostly just asking because my estimated yearly earnings is currently somewhere at around 40K in a high cost of living area once the job hiring starts again. Which means very little disposable income (bye bye avocado toast, I'll miss you, but aquariums gotta aquarium).
Im 15 and I got a part time job just to pay for more corals lol. But im on the track to being a doctor so imma buy a hugee tank one day, only mandarinfish and corals

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't make much money.

I did, however, buy a good amount of Magic: The Gathering cards back when I was younger (1998) and that has been my main hobby since. Quite a collection.

Got into reefing 6 months ago. Sold a few cards and got a 29g set up.

Loved it. Sold a few more. Bought my new Red Sea XL300 tank.

Sold a few more. Now I have AI lights, Red Sea Skimmer, MP40, etc.

I would be struggling a lot more to get in the hobby without my cardboard stocks. I am sure I would still get there, just much slower and maybe lower quality stuff. I do work 3 jobs, not if that matters here.

Side note, kinda: Now I am thinking of moving a large portion of my collection of cards to purchase a new car since Pandemic is preventing me from playing and enjoying that hobby.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't make much money.

I did, however, buy a good amount of Magic: The Gathering cards back when I was younger (1998) and that has been my main hobby since. Quite a collection.

Got into reefing 6 months ago. Sold a few cards and got a 29g set up.

Loved it. Sold a few more. Bought my new Red Sea XL300 tank.

Sold a few more. Now I have AI lights, Red Sea Skimmer, MP40, etc.

I would be struggling a lot more to get in the hobby without my cardboard stocks. I am sure I would still get there, just much slower and maybe lower quality stuff. I do work 3 jobs, not if that matters here.

Side note, kinda: Now I am thinking of moving a large portion of my collection of cards to purchase a new car since Pandemic is preventing me from playing and enjoying that hobby.
Where and how to you sell your MTG?

I've got a **** ton from the 90's and I know I've got gold sitting in sleeves. I'm just to lazy to search the best bang for my buck options.

Got rid of all the Pokemon, Yugioh turned out being trash and worthless with age LOL. But MTG still going strong I see.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where and how to you sell your MTG?

I've got a **** ton and I know I've got gold sitting in sleeves. I'm just to lazy to search the best bang for my buck options.
Uh, I am in this weird Facebook group that "raffles" cards away kinda. You want to sell a $200 card? Put it up for 20 spots $10 each. People buy spots. A dude randomizes the numbers. You send it out to the winner. Sounds sketch, but works.

If you are looking to offload a whole collection, i can get you in touch with my main buyer who has no budget restraints. Haha

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you may fit in one of those categories, (I am a software engineer, no I'm not rich either) doesn't mean that you're willing to plunk many, many thousands of dollars to do so. There are probably those that make less than me that spend more on their tank and those that make more than me that spend less on their tank.

Is more of a case of those acro's are greener in your neighbors tank?

Also I just looked at your post. Fresh out of college? I know one of those tanks looks expensive when you have a mountain of college debt, and maybe just starting your first "real" job, but let's look at it another way.

If you save $2.74 each day in 5 years you'll be able to afford one of those $5k tanks. If you save $5, it could be under 3 years. A little frugality goes a long way. Example (I ate Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for lunch for a year to pay for my wedding.)

I think it's important to focus less on some costly set up and focus more on the fundamentals of the saltwater tank. I have seen that it is not the equipment that makes a great tank but the person understanding the requirements of the inhabitants. While those set-up can make reefing easier to the mass public, they are not a guarantee of success.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work hard and put money away
towards your dream. As stated earlier save money, buy quality equipment that you can either reuse on the next larger tank or buy quality equipment secondhand. You can always get a second job.
Honestly I don’t see what making under 80 K has to do with anything. There are people who make 250 K and can barely put gas in their cars because their income barely covers all the loans they have. It all comes down to how you handle your finances, determining what is important to you, setting goals and sticking to your plan.
It took me 25 years of working side jobs, saving money and making sound decisions on upgrades to get to a point where I could afford a Red Sea XL 425.

Knology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in here because there are two sides of this story for any can-be-expensive hobby.

My first tank was in a small little apartment with my first IT job making $9 an hour. It was a used biocube 29 i paid a few hundred dollars for. Soon after I picked up a used 90g for something like $100. I liked birch IKEA furniture at the time and a guy made me a custom stand and canopy that matched the style for $400. For $500 I had a great looking setup on the way to being picture worthy.

You just hunt down what you want used and through other hobbyists, and their skills(cabinetry). It takes time and savings. Stuff was cheaper 15 years ago though. The amount of tech to cost today is staggering. That being said, there is also a movement that supports keep things simple more than buy everything.

So the OTHER side of the coin I feel compelled to comment on is when you see some public post on R2R or Facebook of someone with a PILE of reef tech, all top $$, and they are looking forward to a weekend of projects. A table with easily $10k worth of everything you could dream of. Ecotech, Apex, $1k pumps, 4 Radions, all just sitting there waiting to be unwrapped.

That is a clear sign of someone with either a huge amount of credit card debt, no patience, or in fact has a ton of expendable income. Most often it is a mountain of credit card debt. This is not a hobby for instant gratification.

I have a 170g 5' custom tank in-wall and a basement fish room. All DIY. Each part sourced by best price to value and long term function. I started it 2 years ago and I just now finished cycling, have 1 fish, and diatoms. The finished product though was worth the wait. So was not being murdered by my wife and burred under the basement in a fish tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back