Where can I find a white banded possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue my search for the ever elusive pygmy wrasses!!

Still looking for a white banded possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse with no avail.. Any reason these fish have virtually disappeared from the trade the past year? Any part of this site I can see if anyone is trying to sell one?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
… sporadically, they come in.

no rhyme, reason or standard supply…
just random luck.

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i agree they just randomly show up one day that’s how i got my first tanaka's and my supposed to be second one they accidentally sent a yellow banded but if you just keep checking live aquaria you should see one pop up eventually

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i agree they just randomly show up one day that’s how i got my first tanaka's and my supposed to be second one they accidentally sent a yellow banded but if you just keep checking live aquaria you should see one pop up eventually
Thank you - I am! Although I hate that site..

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check with your local fish store. most will order fish for you.
i've had fish ordered that they never had in stock, and a week or two later i got a call, telling me my fish arrived.

J.

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit over a month ago I happened to walk into a LFS near me... not my usual haunt, and he had a tank with about a dozen or so pink streaked. It was just dumb luck. I did pick one up because, as you said, they don't come up often.
BFPbNTa.jpg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sporadic availability, particularly in summer months or maybe I'm just crazy. Anyone else notice how little diversity is available in spring/summer compared to autumn/winter stocks?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone appreciate ya'll chiming in for some information! I have spoken with like 10 stores around NE Ohio where I live and probably 10-20 online stores as well. Not a single LFS in my area can get either the possum or pink streaked pygmy wrasse. Also all of the online stores are saying the divers are not getting them in yet. It must have something to do with seasonal availability based off the species. Maybe they are not as active during the colder seasons and when Summer comes up they are easier to catch?

I am looking for either the pink streaked or just the white banded possum (tanaka). They stay a little smaller than the yellow banded which is more desirable for me because of my small tank. I am on like 10 email lists. If anyone see's a link please share !

That is so cool.. Gosh I wish a store had them here!
A bit over a month ago I happened to walk into a LFS near me... not my usual haunt, and he had a tank with about a dozen or so pink streaked. It was just dumb luck. I did pick one up because, as you said, they don't come up often.
BFPbNTa.jpg

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanaka is not the White banded. They are two different species although they look similar. I would suggest the actual white banded for you because if anything they stay slightly smaller. Just check Divers Den on Live Aquaria daily. They had a few a month or so back. You have to get on the e-mail sneak peek list or just check right at 6 pm eastern time because they usually sell quick.

I know it’s more money up front and a little tedious but if you want to keep this fish it’s worth it and your best bet to not have problems which end up causing more expense and grief anyway.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back