Where can I find a white banded possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get them at an LFS. I have 2 of them, this one I have about 6 years.

You have some beautiful coral too, really makes the colours pop! I’m tempted on trying to make my reef look similar to a cold water reef just in warm water then having something like this as the show piece fish after loosing my first one to an urchin

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit over a month ago I happened to walk into a LFS near me... not my usual haunt, and he had a tank with about a dozen or so pink streaked. It was just dumb luck. I did pick one up because, as you said, they don't come up often.
BFPbNTa.jpg
This is the same way I got hold of my pinkstreak- I went in looking for a wrasse like a possum (They had the possums and I wish I had chosen one of each, but hey hopefully I come across another unusual nano wrasse). Here’s a photo of mine:
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still yet to see any LFS in my area with a Possum or Pink streaked wrasse for sale in the past year or two. One of the stores had one in their DT but would refuse to sell it.
I know how risky it can be transporting fish especially possums from further away but maybe see if not so Local Fish stores have any in?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how risky it can be transporting fish especially possums from further away but maybe see if not so Local Fish stores have any in?
From trying to get one for near 6-8 months I can tell you some of the information I learned. It seems like there are no tank raised possum wrasse yet, and if there is someone successfully doing it, is probably a minuscule amount in the market. That being said, all of these fish are WILD CAUGHT which has positives and negatives. Asking around the stores and online stores as well as even talking to a couple of the providers it seems there is a small period of time seasonally these fish can be caught. The pandemic likely made all of this more complicated as well as we could see with drastic changing prices and availability. But I am guessing it has something to do with them being easier to catch during a certain time of year. Like many wrasse they have amazing personalities as many here can testify if they have had one that got past the timid phase.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From trying to get one for near 6-8 months I can tell you some of the information I learned. It seems like there are no tank raised possum wrasse yet, and if there is someone successfully doing it, is probably a minuscule amount in the market. That being said, all of these fish are WILD CAUGHT which has positives and negatives. From asking around the stores and online stores as well as even talking to a couple of the providers it seems there is a small period of time seasonally these fish can be caught. The pandemic likely made all of this more complicated as well as we could see with drastic changing prices and availability. But I am guessing it has something to do with them being easier to catch during a certain time of year. Like many wrasse they have amazing personalities as many here can testify if they have had one that got past the timid phase.
That’s some interesting information, I’m still set on trying a trio of them. And if it works then in my dream tank I will probably have another trio of them along with other wrasses (More docile ones since my true dream wrasse is a VERY hard wrasse to keep alive - M. choati). I just have to hunt them down like you haha, maybe find other interesting wrasses that are new to me.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s some interesting information, I’m still set on trying a trio of them. And if it works then in my dream tank I will probably have another trio of them along with other wrasses (More docile ones since my true dream wrasse is a VERY hard wrasse to keep alive - M. choati). I just have to hunt them down like you haha, maybe find other interesting wrasses that are new to me.
Curious what size tank do you have? After having one of these in a smaller tank I have thought before that having a smaller school of them would be one of the coolest schools in a larger tank. Maybe one day... I know in the wild they hang out in groups which I do not think is exactly normal for wrasse, but it may be like sex dependent (one male watching over a bunch of females or vice versa). Have not learned exactly how these fish work as there is basically 0 info on them other than what a store may say. Would love for somone else to chime in if they know.

It almost seems like these wrasse have the personality of chromis more than other wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what size tank do you have? After having one of these in a smaller tank I have thought before that having a smaller school of them would be one of the coolest schools in a larger tank. Maybe one day... I know in the wild they hang out in groups which I do not think is exactly normal for wrasse, but it may be like sex dependent (one male watching over a bunch of females or vice versa). Have not learned exactly how these fish work as there is basically 0 info on them other than what a store may say. Would love for somone else to chime in if they know.

It almost seems like these wrasse have the personality of chromis more than other wrasse.
My dream tank would be a wrasse dominated tank with 4’x2’x2’
My main dream things to have in it are:
- Choats Leopard wrasse,
- Possum wrasse (Minimum of 3),
- Naoko fairy wrasse (3)
- Black leopard wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Choats Leopard wrasse,
- Naoko fairy wrasse (3)
- Black leopard wrasse
If I had say 6’ of tank, that number of possum wrasse would rise to Atleast 6-7 maybe 10 and have a possum only aquarium (Maybe one-two other fish being the choats and/or black leopards)

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still yet to see any LFS in my area with a Possum or Pink streaked wrasse for sale in the past year or two. One of the stores had one in their DT but would refuse to sell it.
My LFS gets possums pretty frequently but hasn’t got a pink streaked in years and every time they get it, it’s gone within a few hours.
I’m probably just gonna get a six line but get it as my last fish and after all the fish have established their territories.
Now, if fish die, probably somehow manage to catch the six line (heard is near impossible) and put him in a breeders net until the new fish is acclimated. Not even thinking about that right now

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS here gets possums a lot.

- Choats Leopard wrasse,
- Naoko fairy wrasse (3)
- Black leopard wrasse

I would think mixing 3 Naokos would be a no no since they can be one of the more aggressive fairy’s.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS here gets possums a lot.

I would think mixing 3 Naokos would be a no no since they can be one of the more aggressive fairy’s.
Honestly, the naoko I have at the moment doesn’t hold that “aggressive” behaviour that some are known for. It would for sure make a beautiful trip though, but I think that a “school” of possums if my number 2 goal with my second being to own a choati longterm (3-5 years)

suavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tanaka pygmy wrasse and absolutely love this fish. They are shy at first, but once comfortable, cruise the tank looking for food. It was labeled as a W. albofasciata when I bought it, so I got a great deal.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably just gonna get a six line but get it as my last fish and after all the fish have established their territories.

I enjoy this thread but I don't understand a couple of things.
Actually, there is an entire plethora of things I don't understand but about this thread, I have been keeping 6 line wrasses since they invented the things and so far I have not seen them as harmful to anything.

I must be doing something wrong because the two I have now couldn't be more cordial to other inhabitants unless they wreck havoc when I am not looking. :rolleyes:

but I think that a “school” of possums if my number 2 goal with my second being to own a choati longterm (3-5 years)
And, why do you only want to keep a Choati for 3-5 years? Thats like the lifespan of a good looking pod. ;Bucktooth
Pay no attention to the copperband, there is a Possum sneaking around behind him. :p

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, there is an entire plethora of things I don't understand but about this thread, I have been keeping 6 line wrasses since they invented the things and so far I have not seen them as harmful to anything.

I must be doing something wrong because the two I have now couldn't be more cordial to other inhabitants unless they wreck havoc when I am not looking. :rolleyes:

And, why do you only want to keep a Choati for 3-5 years? Thats like the lifespan of a good looking pod. ;Bucktooth
Honestly, if I could keep it alive for it’s whole life span I would love it however what you also need to remember is how they tend to be brought into captivity at an older age so 3-5 years for me would be the dream. I have no idea how long leopards live for so, I went off the 5-7 years for most other wrasse and assumed they more commonly live for 5 years instead of 6-7.

On the six line part, I think it’s from there only being horror stories on them being “monsters” but, I think a lot of the time it’s because they’re in tanks too small for themselves (I have owned 5 in total, 4 were in a 3’ at separate times, and one was in a 2’ cube but still didn’t act too bad, unless that was a juvenile). Also, your sixline is very pretty, possibly the best colouration I’ve seen in any sixline.

I have began the climb to the “holy grail” leopard Atleast, a 2/3” Blue Star Leopard, shockingly it is easier to keep than the older ones my LFS gets in (Those are around 1.5”).

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pay no attention to the copperband, there is a Possum sneaking around behind him. :p

My bet is your tank and rock work set up is way different than pretty much anyone else’s. Probably makes them quite comfortable and not prone to being ticked at their room mate.

That’s my guess.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the stories of 6 line wrasses but so far I have never seen it and I have had quite a few. Maybe you are correct about the tank size being a factor as in the sea many fish protect territories and we don't understand that much in this hobby.

If you SCUBA dive you know you can't get near clownfish and in a tank they will bite you to death for that reason.

This picture has nothing to do with this thread because I can't find one of my dives with clownfish probably because I don't care for those fish. :)

The only fish I know of in this hobby with such a short lifespan are Bangai Cardinals and some pipefish. :rolleyes:

Back