Where can I find a white banded possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, Blue Zoo has them again. I’m super tempted b/c that sale price (minus shipping) is what my LFS charges when they get them in. But I still feel weird not seeing the fish. At least w/DD it’s WYSIWYG, and seriously the way the ones they’ve had looked made me think better to wait.

I think I’m gonna pester my LFS again and see if they can get me one now that they’ve been popping up more online.
I agree you should try all the LFS again before going online. I think Bluezoo has pretty good reviews and testimonies though if I remember correctly so its a good plan B. And I am sure reaching out to them can go a long way.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been many years since I have used blue zoo but their fish were always better than LA. They have them in house and not drop shipped from a warehouse. They have free shipping at 140 and no box fee. Their guarantee is 7 days with photo for store credit.

They used to personally call me about my package if weather was bad. Asking to change ship date or do hold for pickup.

Like I said, it has been years since I have used them though. Pink streaks can be delicate shippers though and very possible even a healthy one could come DOA. I went ahead and ordered two and an urchin to hit free ship and see what happens. Even if one died in shipping, it would still be the same cost as DD. They have possums in stock too and I think a possum + pink streak hits free shipping alone. If not.. they got some 1 dollar hermits/snails :p

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you asked me a few days ago whether or not I would have pulled the trigger on that pink streaked for $64, I would have done it, however, I have thought about it the past few months and after the discussion on this thread with @Paul B and others experienced with sixlines, I'm probably just going to avoid the pink-streaked hype. For some, I know they don't have an option, but I have realized that I have the right environment for a sixline, so that's probably what I'll go with. Thankful all of you chimed in on your experiences. Good luck to those still in the search for one of these high demand fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you asked me a few days ago whether or not I would have pulled the trigger on that pink streaked for $64, I would have done it, however, I have thought about it the past few months and after the discussion on this thread with @Paul B and others experienced with sixlines, I'm probably just going to avoid the pink-streaked hype. For some, I know they don't have an option, but I have realized that I have the right environment for a sixline, so that's probably what I'll go with. Thankful all of you chimed in on your experiences. Good luck to those still in the search for one of these high demand fish
I’m glad you went for the six line route! They are really joyful creatures when you have the right set up for them. I have had two in tanks filled with rockwork and they were a joy - Although the tank was in the shed, which didn’t do anything to the water but it was a pain to always walk out and check on the fish (The house had no room for the tank but now it does so I managed to get a 4’ in there during the move, I like many others got put off the sixline after hearing horror stories and because I wanted to mix wrasses I instead went for the very similarly shaped Cirrhilabrus Lubbocki from Cebu).
I think I will try a Sixline with my other wrasses since I have got the rockwork for it

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just a reminder I got a yellow banded possum a few months ago. As of advice from Paul and others I have had to remove some of the inhabitants of the tank as they seemed like potential aggressors. Unfortunately the fish came with ich or some other disease as I have seen it scratching a few times before on the rock. I normally QT my fish but heard many stories of it failing with possum wrasse. I bit the bullet and added in the DT. The possum came in pretty small - about 1". It has been eating well and showing lots of personality in the Evo besides the occasional rock scratching. I have a waterbox 15.2 ready for an upgrade, than a 28 JBJ as the fish gets older. It has been a tough plan to figure out how to QT the fish or not down the road.

A sixline wrasse has always been one of my favorite fish in the entire trade in terms of looks. To bad my love of them and small ornamental shrimp does not mix well. @Ocean's piece congrats on your purchase! What tank is it going in again?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the tank a little after I got the possum. You can see how curious the fish already is exploring the tank. I must have been lucky with a pretty inquisitive one. Part of the reason I have a possum wrasse in this tank was to find a natural method to clean up some of the red planaria that has been in the tank. Unfortunately I have never seen it touch one!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the tank a little after I got the possum. You can see how curious the fish already is exploring the tank. I must have been lucky with a pretty inquisitive one. Part of the reason I have a possum wrasse in this tank was to find a natural method to clean up some of the red planaria that has been in the tank. Unfortunately I have never seen it touch one!

That is one brave and curious possum! Certainly making me wonder if to mix the three species of possums when I do my dream tank with a school of possums.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly one of the main reasons I didn't order one this morning was b/c I was thinking stuff like, I'd have to set up a Qt and do all that work -- I want one but rn the work of QT, plus the cost of the fish, plus the overnight shipping had me like nah.

I would get a sixline in a heartbeat but I'm all but certain my tank is too small. I have a really peaceful group of critters in the rn and don't want that to change. I'm kinda thinking of waiting until spring of next year and then getting really serious about finding a pink streaked locally.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly one of the main reasons I didn't order one this morning was b/c I was thinking stuff like, I'd have to set up a Qt and do all that work -- I want one but rn the work of QT, plus the cost of the fish, plus the overnight shipping had me like nah.

I would get a sixline in a heartbeat but I'm all but certain my tank is too small. I have a really peaceful group of critters in the rn and don't want that to change. I'm kinda thinking of waiting until spring of next year and then getting really serious about finding a pink streaked locally.
That sounds like a good decision. Spring and early summer is when they started popping up. Remember to make a thread when you get one ! Normally I would QT most fish no issue, but if you look online there are countless horror stories of QTing possums. It generally ends in the demise of the fish. I was also recommended by some people here not to QT. If I were to attempt to QT I wonder how it would even be possible. I think I would have to establish a tank for a while and waste a lot of LR to copper/meds.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just a reminder I got a yellow banded possum a few months ago. As of advice from Paul and others I have had to remove some of the inhabitants of the tank as they seemed like potential aggressors. Unfortunately the fish came with ich or some other disease as I have seen it scratching a few times before on the rock. I normally QT my fish but heard many stories of it failing with possum wrasse. I bit the bullet and added in the DT. The possum came in pretty small - about 1". It has been eating well and showing lots of personality in the Evo besides the occasional rock scratching. I have a waterbox 15.2 ready for an upgrade, than a 28 JBJ as the fish gets older. It has been a tough plan to figure out how to QT the fish or not down the road.

A sixline wrasse has always been one of my favorite fish in the entire trade in terms of looks. To bad my love of them and small ornamental shrimp does not mix well. @Ocean's piece congrats on your purchase! What tank is it going in again?
I haven’t bought it yet, sorry for the confusion. Just decided that’s the route I’m going to go down in the next few weeks/months. Tank is a 32 Gallon Biocube

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t bought it yet, sorry for the confusion. Just decided that’s the route I’m
I haven’t bought it yet, sorry for the confusion. Just decided that’s the route I’m going to go down in the next few weeks/months. Tank is a 32 Gallon Biocube
That was the tank I had a six line in! I think two actually as one had jumped out and I got another over the years.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good decision. Spring and early summer is when they started popping up. Remember to make a thread when you get one ! Normally I would QT most fish no issue, but if you look online there are countless horror stories of QTing possums. It generally ends in the demise of the fish. I was also recommended by some people here not to QT. If I were to attempt to QT I wonder how it would even be possible. I think I would have to establish a tank for a while and waste a lot of LR to copper/meds.
I understand the no QT if it’s hyper sensitive, but what about deworming? I couldn’t use Prazi in my display b/c of my feather dusters, and would always want to deworm wild caught fish before introducing them in w/my other fish.

I could probably manage ich if it brought that, but velvet or something like that would be disastrous.

Another reason to buy from my LFS, b/c I believe they told me they run praziquantel.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the no QT if it’s hyper sensitive, but what about deworming? I couldn’t use Prazi in my display b/c of my feather dusters, and would always want to deworm wild caught fish before introducing them in w/my other fish.

I could probably manage ich if it brought that, but velvet or something like that would be disastrous.

Another reason to buy from my LFS, b/c I believe they told me they run praziquantel.
In reality, I just avoid all QT with any fish no matter how thick their slime coat is, IMHO it just gives too much stress to the fish, I mean they spent a few months going from the wild, to the retailers then to the LFS and then to your tank. I honestly put all my fish straight into the tanks they will remain in for the next 2-3 years. Yes I did have a small ich outbreak however if the fish is fat and healthy they can combat it, even the ridiculously hard fish like idols can combat ich if they’re fat and healthy.
If I have a relitively picky eater that is around 1” yes I start it out in my smaller tank and keep it in there for Atleast a year - In my case with my BSLW it will most likely be atleast 2 years, although she is eating I refuse to just dump her into a tank with 5 wrasse that are around twice to four times the size of her. I know the way I do it is risky but I would prefer to lose a fish by putting it into a true reef tank where they have all the fauna, hiding spots ect.. instead of losing one in a QT tank due to starvation knowing I could have put it into one of my reef tanks where they can graze on everything and anything.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily there has been no internal parasites (big healthy poops!). The problem with my tank is all the commensal inverts, feather dusters, flat worm problem, etc.. Prazipro would likely be a death sentence for some if not a lot of animals in my tank. I have been a QT supporter, but do believe certain fish and certain circumstances it is not worth it. I am on the fence as many people claim a healthy fish can combat ich, and an established tank will create enough micro fauna over a year to also combat ich in the water column. I have also heard other people say ich will 100% kill a fish if not treated.. IT is always a tough call but with a Possum Wrasse and Yasha Goby in my tank it would result in literally me breaking down the ENTIRE tank and sifting through the sand to treat both the fish. If I even COULD get them in a QT tank, the risk of them dying during the process is HUGE.

What I have learned from the Possum Wrasse: even wrasse can get ICH (or I guess it could be velvet) with a slime coat. But, the fish has been eating a ton and other than the occasional scratching seems healthy and fat.

Also NOTE: There are some online stores that have extensive QT processes and great reviews with them. I cant remember the names I am sure somone here could help.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily there has been no internal parasites (big healthy poops!). The problem with my tank is all the commensal inverts, feather dusters, flat worm problem, etc.. Prazipro would likely be a death sentence for some if not a lot of animals in my tank. I have been a QT supporter, but do believe certain fish and certain circumstances it is not worth it. I am on the fence as many people claim a healthy fish can combat ich, and an established tank will create enough micro fauna over a year to also combat ich in the water column. I have also heard other people say ich will 100% kill a fish if not treated.. IT is always a tough call but with a Possum Wrasse and Yasha Goby in my tank it would result in literally me breaking down the ENTIRE tank and sifting through the sand to treat both the fish. If I even COULD get them in a QT tank, the risk of them dying during the process is HUGE.

What I have learned from the Possum Wrasse: even wrasse can get ICH (or I guess it could be velvet) with a slime coat. But, the fish has been eating a ton and other than the occasional scratching seems healthy and fat.

Also NOTE: There are some online stores that have extensive QT processes and great reviews with them. I cant remember the names I am sure somone here could help.
I have seen two fat and healthy fish beat ich in my tank (The first was my Ctenochaetus binotatus and the other was a jade wrasse). I would say that the people who say ich will always kill if not treated battled Velvet instead, the two show very similar traits to eachother. The three main wrasse species’ I would never QT are:
- Possums,
- Anampses,
- Leopards.
These three seem to be more stress prone so I prefer to throw them into the DT straight away - If you have seen my Nano’s build thread you will realise my nano has 2 large wrasses, this is mainly so they can establish to captivity and get into eating the diet (Also so that they can go into the tank simultaneously).

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen two fat and healthy fish beat ich in my tank (The first was my Ctenochaetus binotatus and the other was a jade wrasse). I would say that the people who say ich will always kill if not treated battled Velvet instead, the two show very similar traits to eachother. The three main wrasse species’ I would never QT are:
- Possums,
- Anampses,
- Leopards.
These three seem to be more stress prone so I prefer to throw them into the DT straight away - If you have seen my Nano’s build thread you will realise my nano has 2 large wrasses, this is mainly so they can establish to captivity and get into eating the diet (Also so that they can go into the tank simultaneously).
Would you mind sharing your tank thread? I would love to join in.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing your tank thread? I would love to join in.
My nano one is what my Build thread bit links to, I’ll PM you a link to my 4x2x2 build thread!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Possums,
- Anampses,
- Leopards.

I have one Anampses and Two leopards and they made it through Hybrid TTM QT easily. I would buy more but tank doesn't have the room as the Kuiter's is one of the more aggressive leopards.

Ich won't kill most wrasse, they are pretty resistant but if a person has other very ich prone fish, they may want to think twice about not QT a wrasse. For QT they just need sand, some fake realistic looking hides, good quality food and dim or ambient lighting.

Some people even put them in acclimation boxes in the DT because of established wrasse which is generally a lot smaller than a QT. Some don't even add sand (I always put sand in my acclimation box).

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back