Where can I legally collect coral in the pacific?

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really want to wild collect a few corals. It does not hurt the reefs as much as you think it does. In fact, parrot fish eat nearly 100x more coral than we collect each year. I don’t know if that is completely true. But it’s not far from the truth. Anyway, I know the Caribbean is strictly off limits for any coral other than soft, but what about the pacific? What places allow collection of only soft coral? What place allow collection of stony coral to? I’m talking reacreationally so i don’t want to get a commercial permit. If I just need to get a fishing permit or something, that is fine. I heard Western Australia allows collection? Thanks in advance.

U

User1

View Badges
So I really want to wild collect a few corals. It does not hurt the reefs as much as you think it does.

I don't know about this. You have any data to back up your comment? Reference? Peer reviewed papers? Anything other than anecdotal comments? One person sure, you are probably right. Two people maybe not a big deal. 200 people or 10,000 people per day doing it and the problem begins. Interesting article if want to search and read up on the Hanauma Bay and its recovery due to covid.

In fact, parrot fish eat nearly 100x more coral than we collect each year. I don’t know if that is completely true. But it’s not far from the truth.

If you don't know why post about it? I don't but I'd wager they serve a purpose just as others. Mother Nature is pretty smart.

Anyway, I know the Caribbean is strictly off limits for any coral other than soft, but what about the pacific? What places allow collection of only soft coral? What place allow collection of stony coral to? I’m talking reacreationally so i don’t want to get a commercial permit. If I just need to get a fishing permit or something, that is fine. I heard Western Australia allows collection? Thanks in advance.

You didn't say where in the Pacific. Best bet is to pick a place you are thinking of and send emails to the parks, rangers, and other agencies for best guidance. There are two sides to it. Collection and returning to your residence which means shipping or carry on. Taking advise from someone on a forum who may not be the subject mater expert based on the region you are doing this could land you in jail or heavily fined. I'd rather pass and not get you into any trouble :)

Seriously that is your best bet. I live in California. During our drought years I collect and use NSW. The challenge was to collect it from a good source which in most cases is a park or marine reserve :( I had to call the water resource control board, the park rangers, and was even routed to the EPA (have to love Cali). Once it was all said and done the easy reply I got was anywhere that isn't a marine reserve. Everything else is fair game as long as I'm outside those areas and not collecting 1,000 of gallons.

Anyway TL; DR - to protect you I'd recommend looking for the areas you want to collect or considering and email. I think you may have better luck on permits, license, if needed, or not, etc. Don't forget the way home if you are coming back to the US for clearing customers or how to bring it.

Best of luck!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure glad that’s not a popular idea.
I doubt coral of any type can be collected for free.
For those areas which allow some harvesting, highly controlled by Government through licensing I suspect.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you going to get it home? Importing is tricky, and you have to keep the stuff alive.

"The Pacific" is a massive place. Any specific area? You should probably go somewhere warm so you don't get a bunch of coldwater corals that'll just die in a warm reef.

Also, you live in Florida. Go collect in Florida. I know that's legal, with permits, if you make sure to only take reasonable amounts of the allowed species. You've got amazing ricordeas down there, go after those. Heck, get some shrimp, maybe a goby. Make a Florida biotope.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure glad that’s not a popular idea.
I doubt coral of any type can be collected for free.
For those areas which allow some harvesting, highly controlled by Government through licensing I suspect.
Here in Florida where I live, I can collect soft corals with just a saltwater fishing liscense. I’ve collected many nice ricordia and zoantheds.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to get it home? Importing is tricky, and you have to keep the stuff alive.

"The Pacific" is a massive place. Any specific area? You should probably go somewhere warm so you don't get a bunch of coldwater corals that'll just die in a warm reef.

Also, you live in Florida. Go collect in Florida. I know that's legal, with permits, if you make sure to only take reasonable amounts of the allowed species. You've got amazing ricordeas down there, go after those. Heck, get some shrimp, maybe a goby. Make a Florida biotope.
I have a wild Florida coral garden. There is a beat up reef 10 minutes from where I live. I feed and turn coral right side up and kind of just manage it in a little area probably like 15’ by 15’. I have collected gorgs and zoas but ricordia are becoming very rare in the shallows here Bc of commercial. I am not certified to go deeper than 40 feet. I figured since you can collect soft coral in Florida, are there other places in the pacific that I can collect soft? I am going on vacation somewhere soon (after pandemic settles down) and would like to go somewhere that I can get a few leathers or something.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the bigger problem isn't collecting the coral, it's getting it home. Maintaining it alive in a hotel room until you're ready to leave is an issue, getting the airline to let you on with water is an issue (most places allow it if a live fish is in the water, but not everywhere is aware of that policy, and coral may not count), and, most importantly, importing it is an issue.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger problem isn't collecting the coral, it's getting it home. Maintaining it alive in a hotel room until you're ready to leave is an issue, getting the airline to let you on with water is an issue (most places allow it if a live fish is in the water, but not everywhere is aware of that policy, and coral may not count), and, most importantly, importing it is an issue.
Well unless someone finds something else on it, I’ll keep collecting in Florida and I’ll dive for fun in other parts of the world. Also one time I saw a candy basslet and spent an hour attempting to catch it but it just would come out of its rock (sad face)

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also could someone tell me how reed builders was able to wild collect coral and take it home from Solomon?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really want to wild collect a few corals. It does not hurt the reefs as much as you think it does. In fact, parrot fish eat nearly 100x more coral than we collect each year. I don’t know if that is completely true. But it’s not far from the truth. Anyway, I know the Caribbean is strictly off limits for any coral other than soft, but what about the pacific? What places allow collection of only soft coral? What place allow collection of stony coral to? I’m talking reacreationally so i don’t want to get a commercial permit. If I just need to get a fishing permit or something, that is fine. I heard Western Australia allows collection? Thanks in advance.

Parrot fish do sop as a part of a process in their ecosystem where the energy remains. They perform an operation in their ecological niche that is necessary and functional. Collecting corals is completely different, and considering that 80% of reef area has disappeared, it is generally frowned upon.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parrot fish do sop as a part of a process in their ecosystem where the energy remains. They perform an operation in their ecological niche that is necessary and functional. Collecting corals is completely different, and considering that 80% of reef area has disappeared, it is generally frowned upon.
I’m gonna be a marine biologist in the Cayman Islands and help the reefs. Or at least that is my current plan lol. I’ll probably have 10 more job ideas before I’m in highschool

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders imported through unique corals Solomon island facility. You need permits to get things in and out of wherever you plan to do this, In addition to the infrastructure to ship the items.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt it be easier to break into a LFS at 3am in a black ninja suit and Mission Impossible frags out thru the air ductwork?

20201230_225410.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back