Where did my rock anemone go?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you protected the filters or powerheads. I have a bta that got stuck in my overflow when it was knew, post is on here somewhere. Sometimes they will hide away when they are new to acclimate to the light.
What are your tank perameters? It could be unhappy with your water
Sometimes they will put their foot under a rock and then stretch out to get the light. This can take them a few days
If they are really unhappy/stressed/Ill they can just melt away but this would normally make your tank cloudy.
If you are really worried you can hunt for it just be careful moving rock incase it's foot is attached between 2 rocks.

Redland Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They typically will move around to find a place that's best suitable for them, many times out of viewing range. I wouldn't worry about them getting 'stuck' under anything, let it figure out what's best.

NakedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a rock anemone a week ago and it has totally disappeared. I know that they move around but should I be worried that It is caught under a rock or will it reappear?
They do this. I have several in a 100 gal tank and on occasion one will even move to the other side of tank at night, attach between or under a rock where you cant see him. Eventually he'll move again where he gets better light or likes the condition.

On occasion I've had to peel them off the bottom of the tank and move them when they get in the way of maintenance. I however, have never had one get into a power head as rockflowers typically do not like a lot of flow.

Give it a few days, he'll likely show up and if he was shredded by your power head you would know.

Also note that rockflowers are particularly hardy and difficult to kill. In the past I had a tank crash and the rockflowers continued on as if nothing happened. They and cockroaches will be the only thing to survive an all out nuclear war :)

IMG_0145.jpg

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you protected the filters or powerheads. I have a bta that got stuck in my overflow when it was knew, post is on here somewhere. Sometimes they will hide away when they are new to acclimate to the light.
What are your tank perameters? It could be unhappy with your water
Sometimes they will put their foot under a rock and then stretch out to get the light. This can take them a few days
If they are really unhappy/stressed/Ill they can just melt away but this would normally make your tank cloudy.
If you are really worried you can hunt for it just be careful moving rock incase it's foot is attached between 2 rocks.

I have a backguard for my Nero 5 and I already looked in my overflow. I just had my tank serviced last week by my LFS and he said the parameters were perfect.

I really don't want to start moving any rocks so I guess I have to be patient, keep my fingers crossed and wait.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backguard for my Nero 5 and I already looked in my overflow. I just had my tank serviced last week by my LFS and he said the parameters were perfect.

I really don't want to start moving any rocks so I guess I have to be patient, keep my fingers crossed and wait.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm never a big fan of moving rocks, I was just giving a heads up to be careful if you did. Anemones can be picky, just give it time it should show itself

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back