Where do i start?

Shishies rule!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we set up a 20 gallon breeder tank, trying to fallow ADVICE from the web an a chick from petco i know i know . ne ways. We got a coralife purple rock and about 19 pounds of dry rock so 20 pounds all together we were told we could cure our rock in the tank so we built i guess what is the reef? We added a marineland hob filter guessing for fresh water? Been up and running about 2 an half weeks i added a bottle of bio spira per 30 gallon added whole thing were still in the cycle stage only trace amounts of ammonia its already went to its max an back down to trace amounts the niterite is still some where in the low purple from high the nitrate is about a burnt orange. We have added a small power head recomended by aquatic cove. I have a saltwater messure thing an thats where my issue lyes originaly it was at 1025 and since it has dropped to 1020 i have taken water out added salt an still wont stay stable theres no coral or fish so can any one help me out i have no idea what im doing i have heater as well and proper lighting

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a Hydrometer error...you using a swing arm Hydrometer or a refractometer?
If its a swing arm then make sure every time you take a reading you thump off all the bubbles.
If its a floating type, remove tank water into a narrow deep container for a accurate reading ...
Good Luck and good start :cool:

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Start slow. First learn how to control salinity and evaporation. Adding salt directly to the tank with inhabitants is a no-no. So you'll want to get used to making fresh salt water for weekly or bi-weekly water changes at least a day ahead of time. Start there, don't add fish until you get this down :)

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be worth investing into a Refractometer. Learn to use and calibrate it often to eliminate false data if you decide to get one.

I am going to assume that a swing arm hydrometer is what is being used, just know the accuracy may not be there, but it can be used to keep salinity at "a" specific level by letting one quickly know what the system's current status is and make minor adjustments based on that info.

As Biff0rz posted, learn more about evaporation and salinity control, then move onto something else to tackle and learn. Take your time and go about it all methodically and slow. You'll get there. :)

ReefDude716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planing to do a fish only tank , nano tanks are not a good way to start the hobby with coral because your water parameters will fluctuate a lot , you will need an auto top off , and you will need the right lighting, you will want to do testing weekly on your nitrates phosphates calcium alkalinity and magnesium after your tank is cycled. Do not add any corals for at least 3 months. And get hardy beginner corals . Stay a way from acropora till your more experienced. Get yourself a couple of 5 gallon buckets from home depot or Lowe’s. You will want to do a 10% water change once a week in your case 2 gallons. Salinity should be at 1.025 calcium 450 ppm , mg 1350 to 1400 ppm, alk 8 would be the sweet spot. Nitrates 1 to 2 ppm and phosphates .03 to .05 . I recommend Hanna ulr phosphate checker. Ca and mg and nitrate test Red Sea or selfreit tests. Alk u can get a Hanna checker for . Also use a refractometer not a hydrometer

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Where do you start?
If you read this then, you have done the first step towards a sucessfull reef aquarium.

I assume you have reef salt not table salt?
I would take a sample of your water to a LFS and have it tested to see if what you measure is what they get. They should be open on Sunday.
You can mix your own salt water in a 5 gallon bucket and test it before adding to your tank.
If your tank is low on salinity you can wait for evaporation and add your salt water mix.
If its high then you will need to take out water and add fresh water ( no salt ) .
Salt does not evaporate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shishies rule!!

Shishies rule!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planing to do a fish only tank , nano tanks are not a good way to start the hobby with coral because your water parameters will fluctuate a lot , you will need an auto top off , and you will need the right lighting, you will want to do testing weekly on your nitrates phosphates calcium alkalinity and magnesium after your tank is cycled. Do not add any corals for at least 3 months. And get hardy beginner corals . Stay a way from acropora till your more experienced. Get yourself a couple of 5 gallon buckets from home depot or Lowe’s. You will want to do a 10% water change once a week in your case 2 gallons. Salinity should be at 1.025 calcium 450 ppm , mg 1350 to 1400 ppm, alk 8 would be the sweet spot. Nitrates 1 to 2 ppm and phosphates .03 to .05 . I recommend Hanna ulr phosphate checker. Ca and mg and nitrate test Red Sea or selfreit tests. Alk u can get a Hanna checker for . Also use a refractometer not a hydrometer

OP
OP
Shishies rule!!

Shishies rule!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks thats a start i am using a refractometor or how ever that is spelled lol. We are planning on doing like 2 maby 3 fish an coral more so on the coral. I retested tonight and the nitrite has gone down one to go i this cycle is just about done. What all do i need to do now? I am currently in the process of ordering all of the alk.cal. mag.ext.. Tests .

Back