where do you buy reasonably priced acropora ( less than $40.00 for a nub)

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my frags from Harrys Frags (www.harrysfrags.com) shortly after ordering them. $120 for a pack of NINE SPS. He even swapped some out of the standard frag pack at my request. The frags are far from small, and most all have polyp extension hours after being in the tank.

Great guy, great deal.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this hobby becomes more market driven. Sad to see all about who come up with the most ultra rainbow fusion name for their corals. I even see green star polyps with crazy name.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this hobby becomes more market driven. Sad to see all about who come up with the most ultra rainbow fusion name for their corals. I even see green star polyps with crazy name.

Hobbyists who are interested in keeping SPS are not required to covet or otherwise purchase a Bill Murray frag at ~$350 a pop but if that's what folks are willing to pay, then that's what businesses should sell them for. Having that said, there are still sources out there for reasonably priced frags, particularly if you aren't interested in the latest and greatest rainbow tenuis that people are willing to pay big bucks for. I don't mean to seem argumentative, at all, as you raise a good point. However, what often gets overlooked in theses types of discussions is the fact that hobbyists aren't required to buy the frags that cost big bucks. Moreover, this hobby is a leisure activity. It isn't a necessity. As such, the frags for all type of equality campaigns that might otherwise fly in other facets of our lives/economy doesn't really work here.

Just my opinion.

One more thing that probably shouldn't be overlooked is the positive economic impact designer frags have had on our hobby. You have folks like @Chaswood79 (who you may have heard of) provide weekly salsa lessons to folks like @SeaDweller (who you also may have heard of) to fund the hobby and purchase designer frags. When a grown man who is, by all accounts, a terrible dancer, goes out on a limb to teach another grown man (who is a mediocre dancer) to salsa at $48/hour in order to purchase designer coral, it's kind of awe-inspiring. That kind of creativity and out-of-the-box thinking should be celebrated and encouraged.

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise one day when I have a SLAMMIN' full blown Acro system I will sell my frags at a FRACTION of what I paid for them. Which won't be much because I am a cheap person lol.

I would have absolutely no problem paying $75-$100 for a frag and when time comes sellig for $30-$40. Because when the time comes,3-4 frags more than pays for the frag and I feel like that is right.

As fellow hobbyist,we need to stick together and help one another out. Not frag stuff and sell if for what we paid for it. I will end it there before this becomes a blown out ignorant discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting to know the right local people and they will give to you. Cheapest source.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of that. Are they just packs of chopped up maricultured pieces?

Not always but a lot are. And they are often encrusted over or healed extremely well and have been sitting and healthy. I love how they do things even though average frag prices are way higher this year.

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best deals are from other reefers. For example when I have stuff available, I usually just check what The cheapest price is on a known Coral online and discount from there. I think many reefers do the same. I’ve seen a ton of stuff sold by major vendors for twice the price that most reefers will sell for. Even the live sales seem to overprice IMO. However you can find deals from most vendors at Some shows and live sales and there are still some quality vendors that you can get good deals from such as, battlecorals, fraghouse, garrets acropolis and many more etc....
If in OC Cali. Garrett acropora.

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far Steve Garrett at Garrett acropora
Buying Coral for the 300 gallon

roninmagik1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm saving my money for battlecorals, i've been a little frustrated trying to find good prices from locals around me, seems like there's a lot of money grabbing going on, LoL, i was on offer up and there are locals around me charging $180 for a frag of homewrecker, and other ridiculous prices. i've emailed Matt from battlecorals, and his prices even with shipping, average out to about the same or less than the locals around me are charging, and although i haven't gotten my battlebox yet, all the youtube videos, testimonials and actually emailing and communicating with him, he seems super genuine, and i am very confident his frags will be healthy and big and pest free. Mind you this situation is somewhat specific to me, as i'm pricing out a battlebox, where he chooses and it's all a surprise what your'e getting. If i priced out exactly the sps i wanted, well, i'd be spending like $1000 = ) But if you price out a "cheap" battlebox, for $200 you get 4 to 8 pieces, so on average, i figure you're paying from $25 to $50 per frag. I'm just starting out with sps, so i'm pretty open to any pieces he would send my way. (TLDR: after a few frustrating conversations w/ local people around me, i'm going to try battlecorals, i'm new to SPS and one of his suprise battleboxes averages out to a decent price per frag, and lots of testimonials they're usually happily surprised)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back