Where do you guys put your acans on your aquascape?

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty in my tank. Have not seen it nip at any coral till date.
That seemed to be the consciences with the coral beauties. He was eating frozen at the store and has been chowing down on frozen and pellet food. I feed on the heavy side so I think im going to take my chances.... And risk a 30 dollar fish with hundreds of dollars worth of acans.

As for the placement to keep the thread on track Ive got all my acans at sand level on the edges of my rockscape. They have new heads growing on the edges regularly and are normally plump all day.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only keep acans in my lps tanks and grow out tanks due to their ill demise with my gorgs I had and the leathers I have now. Always on the bottom, try to find something between them and sand. Flat rock, etc. Out of direct light they seem to like better and low flow of course.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only keep acans in my lps tanks and grow out tanks due to their ill demise with my gorgs I had and the leathers I have now. Always on the bottom, try to find something between them and sand. Flat rock, etc. Out of direct light they seem to like better and low flow of course.
Your gorgoinains killed acans??! I didnt know they were territorial. What kind? or is a gorg a fish?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be very careful with an acan garden. They are extremely aggressive.

Now a micromussa garden is much more possible and mine are usually always lower half of the tank. They love to be fed if you have the time. You will get faster growth

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now a micromussa garden is much more possible and mine are usually always lower half of the tank. They love to be fed if you have the time. You will get faster growth
Ha! I'm old enough that I still call micro lords "acans." I was actually referring to micro lords with the question.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gorgoinains killed acans??! I didnt know they were territorial. What kind? or is a gorg a fish?
Gorgs kill many other corals. I had many wild versions and they are very toxic to corals. Some lps really hate being anywhere near them. Like same tank. (7ft long). Some leathers will irritate and bother acans too. I have never kept them in my main system as they never liked it.
When I ran SPS, Mixed, Gorg. Only system they like is my lps or grow out systems. Go figure.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know where you got that acan pictured on this post? Is that a stock pic?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to know where you got that acan pictured on this post? Is that a stock pic?
The one in the newsletter? It's one that @snipersps had and was selling a while back. I'd love to get one too if anyone has it. :cool:

Here's the pic (for those who didn't see our newsletter).

2 - acan placement - snipersps .jpeg

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the bottom medium flow and they are happy.
20210919_184215.jpg

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a rainbow frag next week and was hoping it will thrive mid tank around a ring of live rock. Just to the left of the the light with medium flow. If it could take over the live rock within a year or at least half I'd be happy. Only got 2 clowns in tank so I think they'll be safe. Just gotta watch my Tuxedo urchin. He seems to rip off the glued down frags regardless :)

smolson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acan is right out front, but low in the tank. I love acan corals! I can't wait to add more and start a garden.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a work-in-progress acan/mussa garden on the end of my peninsula where its getting the lowest flow and not too much light around 100 to 125 par.

Probably has room for 1 or two more to complete the collection.

Front and back.

20210925_170342.jpg
20210925_170450.jpg
Looking great so far!

Back