Where do you keep your nutrients for high end SPS coloration?

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than one correct answer.

It's very tricky.

Ulns must be compensated with extra food support.
But, what may appear to be ulns may not due to the measure phosphates. There are organic and non organic and only one is measured.

Best is to understand the tank.
Meassure just to interpret the signals it gives, understand them and get the numbers (and signals) you like best.

Good growth, good color, no stn = good results.

I've had great experience with almost ulns (ulns makes me rtn) and also with moderate (4/0,05) which I found best. But these levels are very important to me to keep ciano outbreaks controlled. Not just for the color of sps which is always fine.

Go on. Let's learn some more!!!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting discussion going on - but just confused - What is High end SPS ? :confused:

Regards,
Abhishek
Anything that cost above average. That’s with anything in life. There are high end shoes, cars, watches, televisions, etc.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always tricky, right? Some mean the hard-to-keep ones that most people end up killing. Some mean expensive ones. The hard-to-keep ones are not always expensive and most of the currently expensive ones are not hard to keep.

I guess that there are some that are both hard to keep and are expensive.

BTW - he knows... this is half a troll and half a commentary on the phrase... :)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that cost above average. That’s with anything in life. There are high end shoes, cars, watches, televisions, etc.
Corals with comic book names that have rainbow colors under all blue LEDs and go for rediculous amounts of money per frag

Thank you ! Please carry on the discussion as I would continue to learn more .

BTW is this high end ?

E3148EFD-5E67-44E2-A34F-ABE780E8048B.jpeg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always tricky, right? Some mean the hard-to-keep ones that most people end up killing. Some mean expensive ones. The hard-to-keep ones are not always expensive and most of the currently expensive ones are not hard to keep.

I guess that there are some that are both hard to keep and are expensive.

BTW - he knows... this is half a troll and half a commentary on the phrase... :)

Are you accusing me of trolling ? ;)

But no seriously , I still need to identify high end Sps successfully as I don’t understand often .

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...only half a troll. It is easier to just call them expensive, or hard to keep. That makes it easier.

I do consider most A. Echniata harder to keep and most are $100 frags if really blue or the ice-fire variety, but they do look different under different conditions. Here is a photo of one of mine under NSWish levels and Metal Halide... .005P and .1N with 6.8-7.0 alk and 425 calcium.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those corals have different parameter needs that let's say "regular" SPS?

It all depends on what genus and species this "SPS" is typically, sure some color morphs are harder and holding those "colors" will be more difficult than others, different parameters may need to he kept to keep that coral exhibiting its color best.

All I know is I try to shoot pretty close to NSW, 450cal, 8.5 alk 1350-1400 mg, NO3 no more than 2, PO4 - .05

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many years back, Zeovit actually recommended, per user guide, to light strongly with 10k, this was before LED, so not that debate. MH or at the time, the new T5's that were being adopted mainly by European aquarists, that debate was equally as brutal as the current lighting debates, lol, I digress. My point here, is that the premise of Zeovit was ULNS, of course with the secret additives(blue bottles). I think as we fast forward to today's heavy blue tanks, that low nutrients and heavy blues may not be your best route, that said, to answer the OP's question, is that it boils down to color preference, as well as intended visual aesthetics. Tested nutrient levels will likely follow suit. Personally, I prefer a bit more white than most these days, that said, I prefer lowered nutrients. What is amazing about this hobby is the endless ways to have success :)

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...only half a troll. It is easier to just call them expensive, or hard to keep. That makes it easier.

I do consider most A. Echniata harder to keep and most are $100 frags if really blue or the ice-fire variety, but they do look different under different conditions. Here is a photo of one of mine under NSWish levels and Metal Halide... .005P and .1N with 6.8-7.0 alk and 425 calcium.

So you can take nice pics!! Let’s see the pearlberry and that purple monster!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree @jda . My only intention was to learn more about what's High End so that I can share some inputs .

Any acros that love to live with me , won't need me to run radions to wow me, makes me happy everyday I see it , sometimes give me challenges to keep and indicates me that something's not right in my tank and won't bug me to frag it over and over again due to overgrowth and lastly allows me to brag to my friends when they come over due to their shape , growth pattern more than color - is high end in my books :)

You see its not easy to meet all these criteria in every acros ;)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can take nice pics!! Let’s see the pearlberry and that purple monster!

Have you paid your tribute yet to @jda to even dare ask that question ?
First run phoenix 250 watt DE for 6 months and prove your worth before you get a chance for a sneak peek at those immortal creatures :D

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you paid your tribute yet to @jda to even dare ask that question ?
First run phoenix 250 watt DE for 6 months and prove your worth before you get a chance for a sneak peek at those immortal creatures :D
Haha. I have some pics over on RC back in 2010 when I ran halides.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...the photos link to my flickr album. The classic cars are under 5500k daylight... rest are under 14k Phoenix with no supplements.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...the photos link to my flickr album. The classic cars are under 5500k daylight... rest are under 14k Phoenix with no supplements.
Come on @jda
Take your iPhone over to your tank and take some fresh pearlberry, heart of the ocean and purple monster pics. It’s fun. I do it 3 or 4 nights a week

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back